Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: To Supress *
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To Supress * Post 302920321 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 8th of October 2014 06:41:38 PM
Old 10-08-2014
Also
Code:
func2  "$file_format" "$remote_dir"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Supress screen output...

I need to suppress the output to the screen. I am appending to a file so do not need the output on the screen in the CLI environment. eg. cat $HOME/somefile >> $HOME/anotherfile I am doing this a number of times with SQL output files so I can look at the finished file not on the screen in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Supress special chars in vi

Hi, One of our application is producing log files. But if we open the log file in vi or less or view mode, it shows all the special characters in it. The 'cat' shows correctly but it shows only last page. If I do 'cat' <file_name> | more, then again it shows special characters. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: divakarp
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I supress certian output with find?

I am using this command find . -type f -mmin "+$t" > holder Unfortunatley that is also printing files that begin with a period. Such as .bash_history. What can I do to supress files that begin with a period? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrchcol
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Supress error message

Hi All this is a simple script #! /bin/bash FileCnt=`ls -lrt $DIR/* | wc -l` echo $FileCnt how could i escape the error msg if there are no files in $DIR ls: /home/sayantan/test/files/cnt/*: No such file or directory 0 Looking forward for a quick reply Regards, Newbie (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie07
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to supress the trace

Hi I am working in ksh and getting the trace after trying to remove the file which in some cases does not exist: $ my_script loadfirm.dta.master: No such file or directory The code inside the script which produces this trace is the following: ] || rm ${FILE}.master >> /dev/null for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

supress error messages

Hi I have a script which connects to oracle using sqlplus if ! check_sqlplus "$ORACLE_SID" ; then echo "Unable to use sqlplus for sid $ORACLE_SID" return 1 else echo "attempting to connect to database" echo $ORACLE_HOME echo $ORACLE_SID echo "Status before entering... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWk - supress warning

Hi, I am trying to run a script using awk and sed a few times. The script itself seems to work fine but in a final awk statement it throws up a warning: awk: warning: escape sequence `\.' treated as plain `.' script: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HugoDarley
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Supress text

Hi, I was looking for a simple code to suppress the text between 2 characters. the characters can be of same kind like "*" or "(" and ")". The number of characters are not consistent and could vary. How can I suppress the text between 2 characters? Example: Input : Hello (Within Bracket)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to supress output from tar and unzip commands?

I have the below two commands in my script. tar -xf hello.tar unzip -o tempp.zip When i run the script i see the below on my standard out. How can i suppress output coming from both the tar and unzip on my standard output. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Supress the psswd from ps in ksh/bash

I am running the ETL job to passing the database username,pssswd positional arguments to shell script (bash) and how can we suppress/hide the password from ps command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pimmit22043
2 Replies
fspec(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the HP-UX system with non-standard tabs, (meaning tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Generally, such files must be converted to a standard format - frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate num- ber of spaces - before they can be processed by HP-UX system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets and Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: The parameter specifies tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: 1. A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns; 2. A followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns; 3. A followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by or equivalently, etc. Recognized canned tabs are defined by the command (see tabs(1)). The parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is inserted at the beginning of the line. The parameter specifies a number of spaces to be inserted at the beginning of each line. The value of margin must be an integer. The parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. The parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specification is encountered in the file. Default values (assumed for parameters not supplied) are and If the parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the parameter. Several HP-UX system commands correctly interpret the format specification for a file. Among them is which can be used to convert files to a standard format acceptable to other HP-UX system commands. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1). fspec(4)