Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regex to include up to blank line. Post 302920300 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 8th of October 2014 03:27:33 PM
Old 10-08-2014
you have inconsistent format of the 'movie names' and "move name". Here's how to accommodate both. (Somehow gawk's RS='' doesn't work as described in 'man gawk' - makes the code a bit hairy):
Code:
 gawk '/^movie name/{n=split($0,a,ORS); if ($2=="names:") {for(i=2;i<=n;i++) print a[i]} else {for(i=1;i<=n;i++) print substr(a[i],index(a[i],": ")+2)}}' RS='' myFile

This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to include field separator if there are blank fields?

Hi, I have the following data in the format as shown (note: there are more than 1 blank spaces between each field and the spaces are not uniform, meaning there can be one blank space between field1 and field2 and 3 spaces between field3 and field4, in this example, # are the spaces in between... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReV
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to delete multiple blank lines in a file?

can't figure out a way to delete multiple empty lines but keep single empty lines in a file, file is like this #cat file 1 2 3 4 5 6 - What I want is 1 2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: delete regex line and next line if blank

Hi, I want to write a sed script which from batiato: batiato/giubbe: pip_b.2.txt pip_b.3.txt pip_b.3mmm.txt bennato: bennato/peterpan: 123.txt consoli: pip_a.12.txt daniele: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: one71
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace two blank line with a single blank line

Hi Guys, I have a file in which each set of records are separated by two blank line. I want to replace it with a single blank line. Can you guys help me out? Regards, Magesh (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

blank space in regex pattern using sed

why does sed 's/.* //' show the last word in a line and sed 's/ .*//' show the first word in a line? How is that blank space before or after the ".*" being interpreted in the regex? i would think the first example would delete the first word and the next example would delete the second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the empty line by adding line before blank line

FIle A "A" 2 aa 34 3 ac 5 cd "B" 3 hu 67 4 fg 5 gy output shud be A"" 2 aa 34 "A" 3 ac 34 "A" 5 cd 34 "B" 3 hu 67 "B" 4 fg 67 "B" 5 gy 67 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need sed help: find regex and if the next next line is blank, delete both

I've got a report I need to make easier to read Using sh on HP-UX 11.12. In short, I want to search for a regular expression and when found, examine the next line to see if it's blank. If so, then delete both lines. If not blank, move on to the next regexp. Repeat. So far I've got: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk regex- include text

Hi I am trying to filter some data using awk. I have a statement- awk 'BEGIN { FS = "\n" ; RS = "" } { if ( $6 = "City: " ) { print "City: Unknown" } else { print $6 } }'` The $6 values are City: London City: Madrid City: City: Tokyo This expression seems to catch all the lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find regex, place on individual lines and insert blank line before

Hello, I have a file that I want to be able to insert a new line before every instance of a regex. I can get it to do this for each line that contains the regex, but not for each instance. Contents of infile: Test this 1... Test this 2... Test this 3... Test this 4... Test this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deneuve01
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a file, replace blank line by the last line not blank above

Dear All, In a CSV file, say that a given column has been extracted. In that column, information is missing (i.e. blank lines appear). I would like to replace the blank lines by the last valid line (not blank) previously read. For example, consider the extract below: 123 234 543 111... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bagvian
7 Replies
DOCBOOK2GJOTS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  DOCBOOK2GJOTS(1)

NAME
docbook2gjots - Convert a DOCBOOK file to gjots format (on stdout) SYNOPSIS
docbook2gjots [ DOCBOOK-file ] DESCRIPTION
docbook2gjots converts a DOCBOOK XML file into gjots format. docbook2gjots uses gawk(1) to perform the conversion. <preface>, <chapter>, <section>, <sect1>, <sect2>, <sect3> and <sect4> tags are used to define NewEntry and NewFolder boundaries. They should definitely have <title> tags. This is a quick and dirty hack using gawk(1) and does no formal checking of XML or SGML syntax nor does it validate against the DOCBOOK DTD. Consequently, if the syntax of the file is broken the conversion will probably fail. It is intended that a round-trip can be made so that gjots(1) can be used as a tool at all stages of DOCBOOK production - mainly as an out- line processor to help the author organise and order the work. A document may well start its life in gjots(1) as the initial thoughts are marshalled. As the document forms up, it can be converted to DOCBOOK with the following command which automatically adds tags such as <?xml...>, <para> etc: gjots2docbook -b file.gjots >file.xml docbook2pdf file.xml Or, starting with an existing DOCBOOK file: docbook2gjots file.xml >file.gjots In the latter case, the document will already have a lot of DOCBOOK tags so to convert back to docbook, add the -e and -p options: gjots2docbook -b -p -e file.gjots >file.xml docbook2pdf file.xml AUTHOR
Written by Bob Hepple <bhepple@freeshell.org> http://bhepple.freeshell.org/gjots COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002 Robert Hepple This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PAR- TICULAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
gjots(1), gjots2html(1), gjots2docbook(1) DOCBOOK2GJOTS(1)