Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Formatting echo o/p
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Formatting echo o/p Post 302920192 by gvkumar25 on Wednesday 8th of October 2014 01:20:03 AM
Old 10-08-2014
Thanks for your reply. When I tried the way you said but it is not working.
Code:
[ldn005@gvkumar25]echo -e "[INFO]   helllllllo helllllo \n hw r u"
-e [INFO]   helllllllo helllllo
 hw r u

--------------------------
but I need the output to be in below format
Code:
([INFO]    helllllllo helllllo
               hw r u)

one more question is if my echo statement contains more character i want it to be formatted automatically in the above way

---------- Post updated at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:12 AM ----------

Code:
[INFO]    helllllllo helllllo
          hw r u

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-08-2014 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: Adding code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting

I have file with different columns for ex. contents of file "txt" NAME AGE MARKS HARRY 23 89 TOM 12 67 BOB 23 11 and you see its not formatted.Now, I need the file "txt" to be formatted like COLUMN1 COLUMN2 COLUMN3 NAME AGE ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting output using echo

i have the following script: while ;do b=${ARRAY2} i=0 while ;do a=${ARRAY1} fin=`echo $a - $b | bc` echo -e "${fin}," >> try ((i++)) ((k++)) done echo -n >> try #add statement to format output here #printf "\t" >> try #echo -e '\t' >> nik ((j++)) echo $j (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting of df -k

Hello, I am developing a platform Independant tool that should work for all major unix flavors outlined in this forum(Solaris,Linux, AIX, HPUX, SCO,BSD) Therefore, in order to cover all types of user community, I have deliberately posted the same message on every forum. Please do not think... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: darsh123
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help formatting

I need to format a txt file and convert it in CSV. Any "future" column is separated by a newline. FROM: XS1 1.43294 0.0 XS2 1.21824 0.0 TO: XS1,XS2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfreale
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting Help

Hi Guys, i have report that runs every 10 min and send the report of failed jobs to my mail. Currently i am using a command like this to send mail. mailx -t -s "FAILURE JOBS IN HYDRA $temp_date" addressee@domain.com < temp_file5 But i am getting mail in this format ....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrish
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between echo `ls -l` and echo "`ls -l`" ?

Hi guys, Been messing around with shell programming for a couple of days and I found something that was pretty odd in the behavior of the echo command. Below is an example-: When I type the following in my /home directory from my lxterminal in Debian-: echo "`ls -l`" I get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)