Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Word count files in UNIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Word count files in UNIX Post 302920116 by johnrichards on Tuesday 7th of October 2014 11:07:21 AM
Old 10-07-2014
yes i will

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

word count ascii files

how do I display the total number of words in a file which is of the type ascii text (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madtim
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count of lines ending with certain word

Hi all, I am trying to write a command that can help me count the number of lines in the /etc/passwd file ending in bash. I have read through other threads but am yet to find one indicating how to locate a specifc word at the end of a line. I know i will need to use the wc command but when i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to count specific word and iterate over number of files.

Hi Experts, I want to know the count of specific word in a file. I have almost 600+ files. So I want to loop thru each file and get the count of the specific word. Please help me on achieving this... Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

~~Unix command to count a particular word in the whole directory .~~

Hi , i'm trying to count a particular word occurance in a whole directory..is this possible :wall: say for example there is a directory with 100 files which and all the file may have the word 'aaa' in it ...how would i count the number of 'aaa' in those whole 100 files in a directory ? ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rabbitsfoot
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Separate text files in a folder by word count

Hi, been searching Google for like an hour and I doubt I got the right keywords so might as well ask here. What I need: Before: Article1.txt 564 Article2.txt 799 Article3.txt 349 Article4.txt 452 * Separate files over 400 wordcount * After: Article1.txt 564... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard2000
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

total count of a word in the files

Hi Friends, Need help regarding counting the word "friend" in files test1.txt and test2.txt. ( there is no gap/space between word ) cat test1.txt himynameisrajandiamfriendofrajeshfriend wouldyouliketobemyfriend. cat test2.txt himynameisdostandiamfriendofdostfriend... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forroughuse
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find EXACT word in files, just the word: no prefix, no suffix, no 'similar', just the word

I have a file that has the words I want to find in other files (but lets say I just want to find my words in a single file). Those words are IDs, so if my word is ZZZ4, outputs like aaZZZ4, ZZZ4bb, aaZZZ4bb, ZZ4, ZZZ, ZyZ4, ZZZ4.8 (or anything like that) WON'T BE USEFUL. I need the whole word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicchan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word count in html files

Hi does somebody know how to do a word count in a .html file? Just the text words, without all the html code. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to check word count of each word in file

I am trying to figure out to find word count of each word from my file sample file hi how are you hi are you ok sample out put hi 1 how 1 are 1 you 1 hi 1 are 1 you 1 ok 1 wc -l filename is not helping , i think we will have to split the lines and count and then print and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
4 Replies
WORDS(5)						     Linux Programmers Manual							  WORDS(5)

NAME
manx - a list of Manx Gaelic words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/manx is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
/etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to a /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default- wordlist(8) for more information. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. Linux 16 July 2002 WORDS(5)