Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Node switched itself from static to DHCP on reboot issue Post 302920061 by Peasant on Tuesday 7th of October 2014 02:29:32 AM
Old 10-07-2014
I have little experience to none with latest solaris 11.2 release but i suspect the reason could be activation of on old boot enviroment (BE) in which network was configured to use DHCP.

Can you check beadm list to confirm or deny this ?

Are you using NWAM perhaps ?
This User Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP-UX 10.xx Changing from static IP to DHCP

***Newbie alert*** What's the easiest way to accomplish this? An admin left our company and I have taken over his HP Workstation and moved it to a different location that is on a different IP segment. I have performed a number of google searches but the steps I have followed haven't worked. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem connecting to oracle 10g after NCR node reboot

Hi All, I am facing a connection problem with Oracle 10g on Solaris 10 when my application (started by /etc/rc3.d at node reboot) tries to establish a session after reboot of the node where my application is running (NCR UNIX (MP RAS)). I find that my application (run as a deamon process)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sowjanya
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

dhcp and static ip conflicts.

I have a USB Wireless Adapter using the rum0 driver. All I want to do is set a perminent static IP for the onboard wired interface elxl0. I can plumb the wired interface up fine on the fly, but when I try to save the static IP over a reboot, I lose the IP address assigned to rum0 from my wireless... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ts97783
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

How to configure DHCP to Static IP

I am pretty new to this. My router was earlier configured to enable DHCP, thus my UNIX box is using the dhcp address, i.e. I have to do a ifconfig dhcp hme0 start. Since I am planning to use my NT as a web server, I needed to use the static IP address. How do I configure the unix box to use the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lee30320
5 Replies

5. IP Networking

Switching from DHCP to Static IP

I am trying to write a set of scripts for my Ubuntu 810 Server to allow a user to change from DHCP to a user-supplied Static IP, Subnet, Gateway and DNS Servers. So far I have the following, where $USERCHOICE is a user-entered value in each case: ifconfig eth0 down && ifconfig eth0 $USERCHOICE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cleanden
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to know whether my system is using DHCP or STATIC IP

Hi, I am using RHEL 5.1 and i would like to know, how to find the whether my system is using DHCP or STATIC IP with out looking at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifconfig-eth0 configuration file. Regards, Venkat (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat55
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to tell if i am using DHCP or Static

Hey guys , YEs this is probably silly for most but i am new to this forum and solaris . i am curious to know if the ip address we have for our solaris server is static or dhcp . how can i tell ? will ifconfig -a tell me this ? or other commands? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xdrivex
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Purpose of Static IP address through DHCP

Hi All, Could you please explain the purpose of assigning the static IP by using the DHCP Concept. Like by using the clients MAC address we assign the static IP Address. Waiting for your reply. Thanks in Advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharath Kumar
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

[Solved] Static or DHCP IP in HP-UX

Hi, I can find the IP details whether it is Static or dynamic in Linux machine from the location /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifconfig-eth0 configuration file. Can someone suggest a location to find the same in HP UX machines? -Vivek (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkk
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris static IP changed (non DHCP)

We have 2 solaris 10 t5240 servers with static IP addresses on nxge0 I/F which were rebooted a few days back with a known good config that has been in place for years (for /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname.nxge0, /etc/netmasks, etc) They are not using dhcp. About the same time today, both of their... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdatontodo
7 Replies
DHCLIENT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       DHCLIENT(8)

NAME
dhclient -- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) client SYNOPSIS
dhclient [-bdqu] [-c file] [-l file] [-p file] interface DESCRIPTION
The dhclient utility provides a means for configuring network interfaces using DHCP, BOOTP, or if these protocols fail, by statically assign- ing an address. The name of the network interface that dhclient should attempt to configure must be specified on the command line. The options are as follows: -b Forces dhclient to immediately move to the background. -c file Specify an alternate location, file, for the configuration file. -d Forces dhclient to always run as a foreground process. By default, dhclient runs in the foreground until it has configured the interface, and then will revert to running in the background. -l file Specify an alternate location, file, for the leases file. -p file Specify an alternate location for the PID file. The default is /var/run/dhclient.interface.pid. -q Forces dhclient to be less verbose on startup. -u Forces dhclient to reject leases with unknown options in them. The default behaviour is to accept such lease offers. The DHCP protocol allows a host to contact a central server which maintains a list of IP addresses which may be assigned on one or more sub- nets. A DHCP client may request an address from this pool, and then use it on a temporary basis for communication on the network. The DHCP protocol also provides a mechanism whereby a client can learn important details about the network to which it is attached, such as the loca- tion of a default router, the location of a name server, and so on. On startup, dhclient reads /etc/dhclient.conf for configuration instructions. It then gets a list of all the network interfaces that are configured in the current system. It then attempts to configure each interface with DHCP. In order to keep track of leases across system reboots and server restarts, dhclient keeps a list of leases it has been assigned in the /var/db/dhclient.leases.IFNAME file. IFNAME represents the network interface of the DHCP client (e.g., em0), one for each interface. On startup, after reading the dhclient.conf(5) file, dhclient reads the leases file to refresh its memory about what leases it has been assigned. Old leases are kept around in case the DHCP server is unavailable when dhclient is first invoked (generally during the initial system boot process). In that event, old leases from the dhclient.leases.IFNAME file which have not yet expired are tested, and if they are determined to be valid, they are used until either they expire or the DHCP server becomes available. A mobile host which may sometimes need to access a network on which no DHCP server exists may be preloaded with a lease for a fixed address on that network. When all attempts to contact a DHCP server have failed, dhclient will try to validate the static lease, and if it succeeds, it will use that lease until it is restarted. A mobile host may also travel to some networks on which DHCP is not available but BOOTP is. In that case, it may be advantageous to arrange with the network administrator for an entry on the BOOTP database, so that the host can boot quickly on that network rather than cycling through the list of old leases. NOTES
You must have the Berkeley Packet Filter (BPF) configured in your kernel. The dhclient utility requires at least one /dev/bpf* device for each broadcast network interface that is attached to your system. See bpf(4) for more information. FILES
/etc/dhclient.conf DHCP client configuration file /var/db/dhclient.leases.IFNAME database of acquired leases SEE ALSO
dhclient.conf(5), dhclient.leases(5), dhclient-script(8) AUTHORS
The dhclient utility was written by Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com> and Elliot Poger <elliot@poger.com>. The current implementation was reworked by Henning Brauer <henning@openbsd.org>. BSD
October 13, 2011 BSD