Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kbd input processing with python Post 302920023 by Corona688 on Monday 6th of October 2014 11:34:06 AM
Old 10-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdohn
Problem for me is, I don't know how to check for 1 or 2 digits in the code.
You have to wait for the ":" to tell the difference.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

giving input to a python wch has been called frm shell script....urgent

i'm calling a python script from shell script. the python needs Y as an input everytime. how can i giv it thru shell script. I tried below code for arg in `cat erd_gen_list.lst` do generateErdSql.py -S $arg << Y done This is giving me err : `<<' unmatched pls help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vini
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Processing user input in .sh file

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. script should accept the user value and then compare that value with the null. If null then assign the value "*" to the variable else will use the user inputed value. How to do this ? With Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Python]StringVar() Class String processing

I have a requirement where I collect inputs from entry widget in gui(via variables a,b,c) and then output a string like this: -a a -b b -c c. Hence if I have given a=1 b=2 c=3, The output string is --> -a 1 -b 2 -c 3 or if I have given a=1 b=2 (c left blank) then the output is --> -a 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: animesharma
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reducing the decimal points of numbers (3d coordinates) in a file; how to input data to e.g. Python

I have a file full of coordinates of the form: 37.68899917602539 58.07500076293945 57.79100036621094 The numbers don't always have the same number of decimal points. I need to reduce the decimal points of all the numbers (there are 128 rows of 3 numbers) to 2. I have tried to do this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition after raw input in python

Hi, I have a python script which is completely interactive. I have almost 10+ raw input statements like below which are collected from user one by one. req_number = raw_input("Please enter request number or Q to Quit: ") if (req_number in ): sys.exit() Is it possible for a more... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python problem with input

Hello everyone, I have just started python, and there is something that escapes me. I don't understand why my little script doesn't work. When I do, it work: my_string = "bonjour" if len(my_string) < "6": print(my_string + " < 6") else: print(my_string + " > 6") ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
2 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)