Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Renaming .bash_profile to .profile Post 302919996 by svajhala on Monday 6th of October 2014 09:02:07 AM
Old 10-06-2014
What is 1 to 1 migration?

We are moving from AIX 6.1 to Linux RHEL 6.5

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changed .profile but didnt ./.profile, yet reflected changes

hi , i added ls -F to .profile. and i need to do ./.profile for the effect to take effect BUT i didnt and YET the next day when i came to work and log in, the changes took effect. i am on aix. please explain.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bash_profile problem

Hi Guys, I modified my .bash_profile script , and tried to change the prompt. Following is the line of code in my .bash_profile script. export PS1=" \W " But I get the output as: \W This appears to be my prompt now. Any idea what should be done.. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

question in .bash_profile

We are more users using the oracle account, and people want to include theyr own files in .bash_profile. Like this: while ; do echo -n "LOGNAME is '$LOGNAME' (no sens), who are you? " >/dev/stderr read ln export LOGNAME=$ln done This works well when logging in to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hannem
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash_profile does not working

Hi all. when i connect as user megaguru i have a problem my .bash_profile does not working^:( if i do: . ./.bash_profile all enviroment variables are in place. How can i force linux to use .bash_profile before logon process? thanx in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smallman
1 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

trap in etc/profile and user .profile

Hello I really wonder what's trap in etc/profile and in each user .profile. I try to google for it but I think I have no luck. Mostly hit is SNMP traps which I think it is not the same thing. I want to know ... 1. What's a "trap 2 3" means and are there any other value I can set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash_profile or .profile

Hi, happy new year. on AIX 6.1 , for user oracle , there are two files : bash_profile and .profile I do not know which one is executed when login ? How to know , More over in both of them we have : in .profile : ORACLE_HOME=/appli/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add Variable in .bash_profile

Hi, I wanted to do the following, but the command does not seem to work. Any ideas or suggestions please help. #1. If the particular ENV variable IMPACT_HOME is not there in a file grep -q IMPACT_HOME infile || sed -i 'i IMPACT_HOME=/my/new/path' infile #2. If the ENV variable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bash_profile versus .profile of user in Solaris 10

Hi All I am kind of confused, when to use .bash_profile or .profile I have just created a user on a test server, with: useradd -u 103 -d /fretagi -m -s /bin/bash fretagi but now in its home dir I have: -bash-3.2$ ls -al total 14 drwxr-xr-x 2 fretagi other 512 Dec 5 15:54 .... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash_profile versus bashrc

Hi All Please can you tell , what is the difference between bash_profile and bashrc. How to create them? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bash_profile question

Hello everyone, I'm trying to set my .bash_profile to change my primary prompt from this: banbatchtest1v:MCPPRD:~>to this: banbatchtest1v:MCPPRD:/home/rcarvall> Here's what my .bash_profile looks like right now: # .bash_profile # Get the aliases and functions if ; then .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galileo1
2 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)