Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check users in a Linux group
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Check users in a Linux group Post 302919767 by colshine on Friday 3rd of October 2014 01:58:41 PM
Old 10-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokedude
What is the color argument for? This doesn't really make sense.

[CODE]grep -i color cop /etc/group
grep: cop: No such file or directory
It highlights the grep keyword in the output. You can remove the -i color if it is not working for you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding users to /etc/group

I'm using SAM to add users on an HP and they're adding fine. But in /etc/group it only lists the group names. It's not adding the users in there. Is there a way to have them put in there without going into SAM and modifying the group and adding them? I guess what I want to happen is when I add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golfhakker
1 Replies

2. AIX

Max users in a group ?

Hi All, Does anyone know if there is a maximum limit to the number of users that can be assigned to a group. I currently have on a production server 900+ users in 1 group. I know some of these users are no longer valid as we only have 500 employees and not all employees use this application. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anmiller
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending an email to group of users

Hi , I want to write a Unix script which can send an automatic email to the group when my job is completed.I'm trying the following Mail -s "test" <groupname> << EOD >Completed >EOD With this i'm not able to send an email to group..Any ideas? Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BhawanaAggarwal
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH for a group of users ?

Hi, Can any one tell me is it possible to setup private key public key pairing(SSH ) for a group of users , instead of setting it up for individual users ? Eg: Say i have 3 users A,B and C and i want the users to connect to SERVER1. instead of generating public private keys for each user , is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepusunil
3 Replies

5. Solaris

How can i allow only a group of users in NIS?

Hello experts. I am using Solaris10. How can i allow a group of users, remaining should be deny. Thanx in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: younus_syed
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diffferentiate group from users

Im trying to put all the groups in into a variable called $GROUP, however in /etc/group there are also lotsa users. And the GID of group can differ as it can be set, this there is no specific range, how can i put all the names of the groups into that variable? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplate07
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change of group to different users

Need to change the chgrp for different uses d---rwx--t 3 root 764 4096 Mar 16 2007 algavi d---rwx--t 6 root 2857 4096 Jul 16 11:28 alharki d---rwx--t 5 root 2739 4096 Oct 14 2008 alpen d---rwx--t 5 root 546 4096 Mar 16 2007 alvarez d---rwx--t 3 root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
2 Replies

8. Programming

to obtain users of each group in c

Hello They have ordered to me that makes several small utilities in C/C++ for the servants, among them a small program in C/C++ to generate a file HTML with the groups of that servant and in addition that is the corresponding users of that group. For example of a group: Group: Sys Members:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cybermeis
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

users per group

hi guys I am trying to display a list of groups and the respective users: Group1 : user1 user2 user3 .... the closest thing I get is echo " "; echo "Group Users "; echo " "; cat /etc/group |grep | grep -v nfswhich I really don't since I want to remove the other stuff like x : and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
4 Replies

10. HP-UX

Creating a group of users with script

Hi, I have a file with usernames, and the comment section, e.g : Data removed by request of sanchitadutta91, 20 May 2020 I need to add these users into a server. Is it possible to use a script to create the users, together with the comment ? From the commandline to add one user, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
WALL(1) 							   User Commands							   WALL(1)

NAME
wall - write a message to all users SYNOPSIS
wall [-n] [-t timeout] [-g group] [message | file] DESCRIPTION
wall displays a message, or the contents of a file, or otherwise its standard input, on the terminals of all currently logged in users. The command will wrap lines that are longer than 79 characters. Short lines are whitespace padded to have 79 characters. The command will always put a carriage return and new line at the end of each line. Only the superuser can write on the terminals of users who have chosen to deny messages or are using a program which automatically denies messages. Reading from a file is refused when the invoker is not superuser and the program is set-user-ID or set-group-ID. OPTIONS
-n, --nobanner Suppress the banner. -t, --timeout timeout Abandon the write attempt to the terminals after timeout seconds. This timeout must be a positive integer. The default value is 300 seconds, which is a legacy from the time when people ran terminals over modem lines. -g, --group group Limit printing message to members of group defined as a group argument. The argument can be group name or GID. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
Some sessions, such as wdm, that have in the beginning of utmp(5) ut_type data a ':' character will not get the message from wall. This is done to avoid write errors. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), write(1), shutdown(8) HISTORY
A wall command appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The wall command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux August 2013 WALL(1)