Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange Phenomena with records filed in variable Post 302919469 by Cochise on Wednesday 1st of October 2014 12:20:39 PM
Old 10-01-2014
Sorry for the late response, shell shock kept me busy the past days.

I found the problem: \n is interpreted as newline, so a line in the file like ...

Code:
C:\Users\AD~1\AppData\Local\Temp\notes32C5CD\lnw01.gif

becomes

Code:
C:\Users\AD~1\AppData\Local\Temp
otes32C5CD\lnw01.gif

As shown above in my previous posts, the number of lines and words increases, while the number of bytes decreases.

What can be done so that such escape sequences are taken literally by printf or echo?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to search variable length records

New to awk and need some help. I have a script that I would like to make more compact. I want to read a file and grab every field, from every record, except the last field. The records are variable length and have varying number of fields. A record will have at least two fields, but can have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: synergy_texas
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable to select records with awk

As part of a bigger task, I had to read thru a file and separate records into various batches based on a field. Specifically, separate records based on the value in the batch field as defined below. The batch field left-justified numbers. The datafile is here > cat infile 12345 1 John Smith ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeyg
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

filter out all the records which are having space in the 8th filed of my file

I have a file which is having fileds separtaed by delimiter. Ex: C;4498;qwa;cghy;;;;40;;222122 C;4498;sample;city;;;;34 2;;222123 C;4498;qwe;xcbv;;;;34-2;;222124 C;4498;jj;sffz;;;;41;;222120 C;4498;eert;qwq;;;;34 A;;222125 C;4498;jj;szxzzd;;;;34;;222127 out of these records I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indusri
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange variable comparison result in awk

So, I'm making a little awk script that generates a range-based histogram of a set of numbers. I've stumbled onto a strange thing. Toward the end of the process, I have this test: if ( bindex < s ) "bindex" is the "index" of my "bin" (the array element that gets incremented whenever a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prefix a variable in the first column of all the records of the files with and without header

In a bash shell, I have to prefix a variable to two .CSV files File1.CSV and File2.CSV. One of the files has a header and the other one is with no header in the below format: "value11","value12","value13","value14","value15","value16" "value21","value22","value23","value24","value25","value26"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
7 Replies

6. Programming

Strange value of the double type variable: -nan(0x8000000000000)

I am confused by the value of "currdisk->currangle" after adding operation. Initially the value of "currdisk->currangle" is 0.77500000000000013, but after adding operation, it's changed to "-nan(0x8000000000000)", Can anyone explain ? Thanks! The following is the occasion of gdb debugging. 3338 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - concatenate string - strange variable scoping

Hello, I am trying to concatenate a string in a bash script like this: runCmd="docker run -e \"IMAGE_NAME=$IMAGE_NAME\" " env | grep "$ENV_SUFFIX" | while read line; do envCmd="-e \"${line}\" " runCmd=$runCmd$envCmd echo $runCmd # here concatenation works fine done echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: czabak
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign number of records to a variable

How does one assign a variable, x to equal the number of records in a different file. I have a simple command such as below: awk -F "\t" '(NR>5) { if(($x == "0/0")) { print $0} }' a.txt > a1.txt but I want x to equal the number of records in a different file, b.txt (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geneanalyst
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable value in first file based on records in second

Hello , I have below files a) File A <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?> <root xmlns="http://aaa/1.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" version="2.0"> <project name="source"> <mapping name="m_Source"> <parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)