Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Verify multipathing
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Verify multipathing Post 302919444 by Peasant on Wednesday 1st of October 2014 09:33:12 AM
Old 10-01-2014
You should be using /dev/mapper/<mpath> device, which is created when you rescan the fabric and disk is available.

Also it is a good practice (but not neccesary) to define alias for your new disk with a meaningful name for that disk. You will have then /dev/mapper/<mpathalias> for using with pvcreate / vgcreate / vgextend etc. after you restart multipath daemon.

You might want to check the output of dmsetup ls and/or dmsetup info if your volume group(s) are using mpath or mpathalias devices.

If you used /dev/sd devices then there is a good chance multipath is not working for that disk, but i cannot say for sure.

Best is to test it on test machine using /dev/sd device (wrong way not per documentation) then removing one path physically.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Strange Multipathing problem

We have loads of Sparc solaris 8 boxes. Each one has 2 physical interfaces and 2 virtuals set up for multipathing (See ifconfig below). Problem is that I cannot ping the qfe0 interface IP from the local machine. I can ping all other local interfaces, but not 10.161.19.5. I can ping it from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux Multipathing Enhancement

We are searching for DEVICE MAPPER TABLE FORMAT and how to access it through user space?? We are working on enhancement in multipatrhing as 1] scalable path testing 2] event mechanism 3] i/o load sharing. So we need to access device info as well as all paths to that device, devices status,paths... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajaryan99
1 Replies

3. Solaris

solaris multipathing

I have solaris 10 sparc. I installed a Qlogic hba card. This card is connected on a brocade switch and the brocade is connected on 2 different controllers on a Hitachi disk bay. I formated 2 luns. On my solaris system, i have 4 disk. How to configure solaris 10 to fix the dual disk view. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris IP Multipathing (IPMP) Help

Hello All, I work for a Health care company at a local trauma hospital. I maintain a Picture Archiving and Communication System (PAC's). Basically, any medical images (X-Ray, CT, MRI, Mammo, etc) are stored digitally on the servers for viewing and dictation from diagnostic stations. I took over... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegeek
10 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris IP Multipathing

Hi, I saw your post on the forums about how to setup IP multipathing. I wanted your help on the below situation . I have 2 servers A and B . Now they should be connected to 2 network switches . S1 and S2. Now is it possible to have IP Multipathing on each of the servers as follows ? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maadhuu
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Storage Multipathing In Solaris10

I 've a doubt about the no. of paths to a disk in my Solaris10 box. If i run prtdiag i see 12 instances of emulex. Is it 6 dual port HBAs or some other no. how can i check that. prtdiag | grep LPe11002-S 00 SUNW,emlxs LPe11002-S 00 SUNW,emlxs LPe11002-S 00 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris multipathing

Hai we using emc storage which is conneted to M5000 through san switch. we asign 13 luns but in server it is showing 22 luns. i enable the solaris multipathing (MPxIO) #more /kernel/drv/fp.conf in that file MPxio-disable=no #mpathadm list lu it shows ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshmani
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Multipathing - problem

Hello, I turned on the server multipathing: # uname -a SunOS caiman 5.10 Generic_141444-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5140 stmsboot -D fp -e And after a reboot the server, multipathing is not enable: # stmsboot -L stmsboot: MPxIO is not enabled stmsboot: MPxIO disabled # ls /dev/dsk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to Cleanup Multipathing

I have a server running redhat 5.5 and it has one SAN device presented to it as LUN9. How can I clean up the remaining entries. I cannot afford to interupt the service. Please assist. # multipath -l mpath0 (36000097000019260298953666633436) dm-11 EMC,SYMMETRIX \_ round-robin 0 \_ 2:0:0:9 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

10. AIX

Multipathing in AIX

Hi, I know the concept of multipathing, but would like to know how to configure multipathing in AIX. or software/driver is by default present in AIX?????? How to find out wheather multipathing is configured in AIX????? Regards, Manu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies
MULTIPATH(8)						   Linux Administrator's Manual 					      MULTIPATH(8)

NAME
multipath - Device mapper target autoconfig SYNOPSIS
multipath [-v verbosity] [-d] [-h|-l|-ll|-f|-t|-F] [-p failover|multibus|group_by_serial|group_by_prio|group_by_node_name] [device] DESCRIPTION
multipath is used to detect multiple paths to devices for fail-over or performance reasons and coalesces them OPTIONS
-v level verbosity, print all paths and multipaths 0 no output 1 print the created or updated multipath names only, for use to feed other tools like kpartx 2 + print all info : detected paths, coalesced paths (ie multipaths) and device maps -h print usage text -d dry run, do not create or update devmaps -l show the current multipath topology from information fetched in sysfs and the device mapper -ll show the current multipath topology from all available information (sysfs, the device mapper, path checkers ...) -f flush a multipath device map specified as parameter, if unused -F flush all unused multipath device maps -t print internal hardware table to stdout -p policy force maps to specified policy: failover 1 path per priority group multibus all paths in 1 priority group group_by_serial 1 priority group per serial group_by_prio 1 priority group per priority value. Priorities are determined by callout programs specified as a global, per-con- troller or per-multipath option in the configuration file group_by_node_name 1 priority group per target node name. Target node names are fetched in /sys/class/fc_transport/target*/node_name. device update only the devmap the path pointed by device is in. device is in the /dev/sdb (as shown by udev in the $DEVNAME variable) or major:minor format. device may alternatively be a multipath mapname SEE ALSO
multipathd(8), multipath.conf(5), kpartx(8), udev(8), dmsetup(8) hotplug(8) AUTHORS
multipath was developed by Christophe Varoqui, <christophe.varoqui@free.fr> and others. July 2006 MULTIPATH(8)