Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Verify multipathing
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Verify multipathing Post 302919432 by keelba on Wednesday 1st of October 2014 08:49:27 AM
Old 10-01-2014
Verify multipathing

I have a couple of questions regarding multipath.

If I do vgdisplay vg01, I see it is using 1 PV: /dev/dm-13

If I type multipath -ll I see dm-9, dm-10, dm-11, dm-12, but do not see dm-13. Is my vg01 multipathed? How can I actually know for sure?

Secondly, let's say this time vg01 says it has one PV: /dev/sdab

I type multipath -ll and sure enough I see /dev/sdab but under mpath31. Is my vg01 multipathed even though I'm point my PV path to sdab instead of mpath31?

My expertise is in HP-UX and I haven't been doing Linux very long. Our resident Linux "experts" do not know the answers to these very important questions so I would appreciate any help or advice you can give.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Strange Multipathing problem

We have loads of Sparc solaris 8 boxes. Each one has 2 physical interfaces and 2 virtuals set up for multipathing (See ifconfig below). Problem is that I cannot ping the qfe0 interface IP from the local machine. I can ping all other local interfaces, but not 10.161.19.5. I can ping it from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux Multipathing Enhancement

We are searching for DEVICE MAPPER TABLE FORMAT and how to access it through user space?? We are working on enhancement in multipatrhing as 1] scalable path testing 2] event mechanism 3] i/o load sharing. So we need to access device info as well as all paths to that device, devices status,paths... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajaryan99
1 Replies

3. Solaris

solaris multipathing

I have solaris 10 sparc. I installed a Qlogic hba card. This card is connected on a brocade switch and the brocade is connected on 2 different controllers on a Hitachi disk bay. I formated 2 luns. On my solaris system, i have 4 disk. How to configure solaris 10 to fix the dual disk view. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris IP Multipathing (IPMP) Help

Hello All, I work for a Health care company at a local trauma hospital. I maintain a Picture Archiving and Communication System (PAC's). Basically, any medical images (X-Ray, CT, MRI, Mammo, etc) are stored digitally on the servers for viewing and dictation from diagnostic stations. I took over... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegeek
10 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris IP Multipathing

Hi, I saw your post on the forums about how to setup IP multipathing. I wanted your help on the below situation . I have 2 servers A and B . Now they should be connected to 2 network switches . S1 and S2. Now is it possible to have IP Multipathing on each of the servers as follows ? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maadhuu
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Storage Multipathing In Solaris10

I 've a doubt about the no. of paths to a disk in my Solaris10 box. If i run prtdiag i see 12 instances of emulex. Is it 6 dual port HBAs or some other no. how can i check that. prtdiag | grep LPe11002-S 00 SUNW,emlxs LPe11002-S 00 SUNW,emlxs LPe11002-S 00 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris multipathing

Hai we using emc storage which is conneted to M5000 through san switch. we asign 13 luns but in server it is showing 22 luns. i enable the solaris multipathing (MPxIO) #more /kernel/drv/fp.conf in that file MPxio-disable=no #mpathadm list lu it shows ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshmani
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Multipathing - problem

Hello, I turned on the server multipathing: # uname -a SunOS caiman 5.10 Generic_141444-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5140 stmsboot -D fp -e And after a reboot the server, multipathing is not enable: # stmsboot -L stmsboot: MPxIO is not enabled stmsboot: MPxIO disabled # ls /dev/dsk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to Cleanup Multipathing

I have a server running redhat 5.5 and it has one SAN device presented to it as LUN9. How can I clean up the remaining entries. I cannot afford to interupt the service. Please assist. # multipath -l mpath0 (36000097000019260298953666633436) dm-11 EMC,SYMMETRIX \_ round-robin 0 \_ 2:0:0:9 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

10. AIX

Multipathing in AIX

Hi, I know the concept of multipathing, but would like to know how to configure multipathing in AIX. or software/driver is by default present in AIX?????? How to find out wheather multipathing is configured in AIX????? Regards, Manu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies
LVEXTEND(8)                                                   System Manager's Manual                                                  LVEXTEND(8)

NAME
lvextend - extend the size of a logical volume SYNOPSIS
lvextend [--alloc AllocationPolicy] [-A|--autobackup y|n] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--noudevsync] [-i|--stripes Stripes [-I|--stripesize StripeSize]] {-l|--extents [+]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|PVS|FREE|ORIGIN}] | -L|--size [+]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE]} [-f|--force] [-n|--nofsck] [-r|--resizefs] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] LogicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath[:PE[-PE]]...] DESCRIPTION
lvextend allows you to extend the size of a logical volume. Extension of snapshot logical volumes (see lvcreate(8) for information to cre- ate snapshots) is supported as well. But to change the number of copies in a mirrored logical volume use lvconvert(8). OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. --noudevsync Disable udev synchronisation. The process will not wait for notification from udev. It will continue irrespective of any possible udev processing in the background. You should only use this if udev is not running or has rules that ignore the devices LVM2 cre- ates. -l, --extents [+]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|PVS|FREE|ORIGIN}] Extend or set the logical volume size in units of logical extents. With the + sign the value is added to the actual size of the logical volume and without it, the value is taken as an absolute one. The number can also be expressed as a percentage of the total space in the Volume Group with the suffix %VG, relative to the existing size of the Logical Volume with the suffix %LV, of the remaining free space for the specified PhysicalVolume(s) with the suffix %PVS, as a percentage of the remaining free space in the Volume Group with the suffix %FREE, or (for a snapshot) as a percentage of the total space in the Origin Logical Volume with the suffix %ORIGIN. The resulting value is rounded upward. -L, --size [+]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] Extend or set the logical volume size in units of megabytes. A size suffix of M for megabytes, G for gigabytes, T for terabytes, P for petabytes or E for exabytes is optional. With the + sign the value is added to the actual size of the logical volume and with- out it, the value is taken as an absolute one. -i, --stripes Stripes Gives the number of stripes for the extension. Not applicable to LVs using the original metadata LVM format, which must use a sin- gle value throughout. -I, --stripesize StripeSize Gives the number of kilobytes for the granularity of the stripes. Not applicable to LVs using the original metadata LVM format, which must use a single value throughout. StripeSize must be 2^n (n = 2 to 9) -f, --force Proceed with size extension without prompting. -n, --nofsck Do not perform fsck before extending filesystem when filesystem requires it. You may need to use --force to proceed with this option. -r, --resizefs Resize underlying filesystem together with the logical volume using fsadm(8). Examples "lvextend -L +54 /dev/vg01/lvol10 /dev/sdk3" tries to extend the size of that logical volume by 54MB on physical volume /dev/sdk3. This is only possible if /dev/sdk3 is a member of volume group vg01 and there are enough free physical extents in it. "lvextend /dev/vg01/lvol01 /dev/sdk3" tries to extend the size of that logical volume by the amount of free space on physical volume /dev/sdk3. This is equivalent to specifying "-l +100%PVS" on the command line. "lvextend -L+16M vg01/lvol01 /dev/sda:8-9 /dev/sdb:8-9" tries to extend a logical volume "vg01/lvol01" by 16MB using physical extents /dev/sda:8-9 and /dev/sdb:8-9 for allocation of extents. SEE ALSO
fsadm(8), lvm(8), lvcreate(8), lvconvert(8), lvreduce(8), lvresize(8), lvchange(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) LVEXTEND(8)