Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to replace and remove few junk characters from a specific field? Post 302919352 by snemuk14 on Tuesday 30th of September 2014 04:52:03 PM
Old 09-30-2014
Ok. I stored the first line in a file named x to test and tried it on a linux machine as below:
Code:
$ awk -F"\t" 'sub(/%.*\)/, "", $4) 1'  OFS='\t' x

Output shows the same :
Code:
1412007819.864  /device/services/heartbeatxx    204     0.547%!i(int=0)        0.434   0.112

so, it did not eliminate the junk characters from "%" till ")"

Last edited by Don Cragun; 09-30-2014 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

extract field of characters after a specific pattern - using UNIX shell script

Hello, Below is my input file's content ( in HP-UX platform ): ABCD120672-B21 1 ABCD142257-002 1 ABCD142257-003 1 ABCD142257-006 1 From the above, I just want to get the field of 13 characters that comes after 'ABCD' i.e '120672-B21'... . Could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jansat
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove junk characters using Perl

Guys, can you help me in removing the junk character "^S" from the below line using perl Reference Data Not Recognised ^S Where a value is provided by the consuming system, which is not reco Thanks, M.Mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the special characters from field

Hi, In source data few of columns are having special charates(like *) due to this i am not able to display the data into flat file.it's displaying the some of junk data into the flat file. source dataExample: Address1="XDERFTG * HYJUYTG" how to remove the special charates in a string (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove JUNK characters (FROM�)

Hi I have to remove the junk characters from my file. Please help.. File content : CURITY_CODE_GSD) FROM� DL_CB_SOD_EOD_VALUATION WHERE� ASOF (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arukuku
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Counting specific characters within each field

Hello, I have a file like following: ALB_13554 1 1 1 ALB_13554 1 2 1 ALB_18544 2 0 2 ALB_18544 1 0 1 This is a sample of my file, my real file has 441845 number of fields. What I want to do is to calculate the number of 1 and 2 in each column using AWK, so, the output file looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first n characters from specific columns

I have a file like: s_20331 803 1 1 5 1:2=0.00000000 1:3=0.00000000 1:4=0.11111111 s_20331 814 1 1 5 1:2=0.00000000 1:3=0.12611607 1:4=0.00000000I would like to remove the four characters "x:x=" from all columns containing them (in my actual file, there are 15 total columns (i.e. columns... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all junk characters from a text file

I am using flatfile, in that flat file we are getting the junk chars 1)I21001f<82>^Me<85>!h49 Service Charge 2) I21001f‚ e...!h49 Service Charge please tell me how to remove all junk chars in unix scripts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Talari
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to remove Junk characters

Hi All, I have a issue that we are getting Junk characters from source and i am not able to load that records to Database. Line breakers Junk Characters (Â and different every time) Japanese Characters Every time I am using grep command and awk -F "\007" to find them and delete that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spradeep86
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find records with specific characters in 2 nd field

Hi , I have a requirement to read a file ( 5 fields , ~ delimited) and find the records which contain anything other than Alphabets, Numbers , comma ,space and dot . ie a-z and A-Z and 0-9 and . and " " and , in 2nd field. Once I do that i would want the result to have field1|<flag> flag can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)