Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing file names
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Changing file names Post 302919226 by kristinu on Monday 29th of September 2014 04:39:49 PM
Old 09-29-2014
Code:
#!/bin/bash

files=`find . -name 'kay_even*.png.pdf'` 

digits=2001
for fl in $files ; do
  printf "$fl.$digits\n"
  digits=$(($digits + 2))
done

---------- Post updated at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:01 PM ----------

The thing I have to do is to remove the original number
from the file name.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

files=`find . -name 'kay_even*.png.pdf'` 

digits=2001
for fl in $files ; do
  fname=`echo $fl | awk 'BEGIN {FS=".png.pdf"} {print $1}'`
  printf "$fname.$digits.png.pdf\n"
  digits=$(($digits + 2))
done

---------- Post updated at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:10 PM ----------

I have got somewhere now

Code:
#!/bin/bash

files=`find . -name 'kay.even*.png.pdf'` 

digits=2001
for fl in $files ; do
  fname=`echo $fl | awk 'BEGIN {FS=".png.pdf"} {print $1}'`
  fnew=`echo $fname | awk 'BEGIN {FS="."} {print $1"."$2"."$3}'`
  printf "fname: $fname\n"  
  printf "fnew: $fnew\n"  
  printf "$fnew.$digits.png.pdf\n"
  digits=$(($digits + 2))
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing file names to lowercase

hey guys having some trouble figuring this out. my program is supposed to take a name of a directory as a command line argument and change the filenames inside that directory to lowercase. what i dont get is how you access that directory and go thru all the files and change the filenames... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 30177005
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files and changing names

i have many files with extention filename.ASN_ERROR~ at a path. I want to move these files to another path and change extension to .ASN There are more then 80,000 files so i cant use manual commands muneebr (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: muneebr
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file names with AWK

Dear All, I have some thousands of files in a folder and i need to change those file names without opening the file (no need to change anything in the file content, need to change the file name only). The filenames are as follows: Myfile_name.1_parameter Myfile_name.2_parameter... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fredrick
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing names

I have file names m04-npt06-z30-syn.ps m04-npt06-dp018-8x6smp.vmod m04-npt06-sr40-syn-dp01-16x12drw.params m04-npt06-sr40-syn-dp008-16x12drw.params m04-npt06-sr40-syn-dp008-16x12drw.vmod m04-npt06-sr40-syn-dp008-16x12drw.bck m04-npt06-sr40-syn-dp008-16x12drw.exp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file names

I have lot of files whose names are something like the following. I want to change the name of all the files from 'npt02' to 'n02'. npt02-z30-sr65-rgdt0p50-dc0p01-16x12drw.tpf npt02-z30-sr65-rgdt0p50-dc0p01-8x6drw.back npt02-z30-sr65-rgdt0p50-dc0p01-8x6drw-bst-mis.xy... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Changing file names

I have written a csh script that changes the name of file from src to dst. I am getting the error below: TESTAmvfiles DONE TESTAmvfiles set: Variable name must begin with a letter. The csh script is: #!/bin/csh #... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file names

I have file names as shown and want to change the name to have only the first four numbers. /home/chrisd/Desktop/nips/nips_2013/5212-learning-feature-selection-dependencies-in-multi-task-learning.pdf /home/chrisd/Desktop/nips/nips_2013/5213-parametric-task-learning.pdf... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bulk changing of file names using Terminal in OS X

I want to change the name of several files within a folders (directory) and subdirectories in OS X. If I only wanted to change file names within the directory I guess I would use: rm photo*.jpg picture*.jpg I have lots of subdirectories, is there a way of getting the file changes for all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ademanuele
5 Replies

9. Debian

Changing file extension names

Hi I have a list of files :root@L28mustang:/var/log/exim4/2017/Jul2017_Blast_BC07# ls -lrt | grep mainlog -rw-r----- 1 Debian-exim adm 3636932 Jul 8 06:25 mainlog.3.gz -rw-r----- 1 Debian-exim adm 919512 Jul 9 06:27 mainlog.2.gz -rw-r----- 1 Debian-exim adm 7655054 Jul 10 06:25 mainlog.1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file names

sac_pzs_iv_epoz_hhe__2013.074.14.40.46.0000_2599.365.23.59.59.99999 sac_pzs_iv_epoz_hhn__2013.074.14.40.46.0000_2599.365.23.59.59.99999 sac_pzs_iv_epoz_hhz__2013.074.14.40.46.0000_2599.365.23.59.59.99999 sac_pzs_iv_haga_hhe__2006.111.00.00.00.0000_2599.365.23.59.59.99999... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)