Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing a variable value to an option Post 302919132 by iggy98 on Sunday 28th of September 2014 12:54:36 PM
Old 09-28-2014
Passing a variable value to an option

Hello,

I am new to shell (i.e. linux bash) programming and have the following question:

When using this wget command I can download a certain website that needs login information by passing a previously acquired cookie:

Code:
wget --header='Cookie: SID=ac658ef0876b24ff456' somewebsite.com

As cookies sometimes get very long, I want to shorten the command by storing the cookie in a variable and passing the value of that variable as an option to wget like this:

Code:
cookie='Cookie: SID=ac658ef0876b24ff456'

wget --header=$cookie somewebsite.com

But this doesn't seem to work at all. The cookie is not being passed to the website as in the first case. Who knows what I am doing wrong?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Env Variable substituion in Sed (-s option)

Folks, I've been trying to use the ENV variable with slashes(/) in its value inside the sed substitution.. Sed 's/myval/'$MYVAL'/' file1 >> file.tmp If MYVAL=<sometext>, it works. if MYVAL=/home/venkat, it doesnt. *************************** bash-2.05$ export VAL=/home/venkat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvsreddy_539
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a variable inside another variable.

Any help would be great. I know this is a dumb way of doing this, but I would like to know if there is a solution doing it this way. I'm very new at this and I'd like to learn more. Thanks! :D:D count=0 while ; do echo "enter your name" read name_$count let count=count+1 done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reconflux
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable option not properly recognized

I'm creating a junk script which utilizes either -l or -p to list files or remove files, respectively, in the junk directory. When I run this code, inputting '-p' is unrecognized through the whole if/else block and falls to the last else (echo do nothing). In addition, I switched tests and tested... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haishuva
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a variable as a command option?

I am just learning shell scripting and already I found out I have the bad habit of thinking that it is similar to php or c. I learned some basics and now encountered this problem: On shell it is possible to type: $ date --date="2009-10-10 09:08:34" Sat Oct 10 09:08:34 CEST 2009 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quinestor
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing an option as an argument!

Hi Folks I have got to the point where I can specify the arguments but how to pass an option is still mystery to me. Example: temp.csh a b c d set temp1 = $argv set temp2 = $argv set temp3 = $argv echo $temp1 a echo $temp2 b echo $temp3 c d I WANT: temp.csh a b c d -S 1 set temp1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter and option together

Hi , How can I pass option and parameter together? I want like script.sh par1 par2 -s option1 And when I am doing echo $1 echo $2 #opt is the variable where we are storing the option value through getops echo $opt output should be (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing dynamic variable within another variable.

I have a small program which needs to pass variable dynamically to form the name of a second variable whose value wil be passed on to a third variable. ***************** Program Start ****************** LOC1=/loc1 PAT1IN=/loc2 PAT2IN=/loc3 if ; then for fpattern in `cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cyril Jos
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing positioning array as whiptail -- menu option

I may have asked this before, so forgive OF. Problem: I can pass positioning array as -- menu option to whiptail, but it does not show in the whiptail form as an array - only single (first member "lsusb" ) entry / line shows up. Code: DynamicEntry=$(whiptail \ --title "DEBUG... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annacreek
1 Replies
XGetEventData(3)						  XLIB FUNCTIONS						  XGetEventData(3)

NAME
XGetEventData, XFreeEventData, XGenericEventCookie - retrieve and free additional event data through cookies. SYNTAX
Bool XGetEventData(Display *display, XGenericEventCookie *cookie); void XFreeEventData(Display *display, XGenericEventCookie *cookie); ARGUMENTS
display Specifies the connection to the X server. cookie Specifies the cookie to free or retrieve the data for. STRUCTURES
typedef struct { int type; unsigned long serial; Bool send_event; Display *display; int extension; int evtype; unsigned int cookie; void *data; } XGenericEventCookie; DESCRIPTION
Some extension XGenericEvents require additional memory to store information. For these events, the library returns a XGenericEventCookie with a token ('cookie') unique to this event. The XGenericEventCookie's data pointer is undefined until XGetEventData is called. The XGetEventData function retrieves this extra data for the given cookie. No round-trip to the server is required. If the cookie is invalid or the event is not an event handled by cookie handlers, False is returned. If XGetEventData returns True, the cookie's data pointer points to the memory containing the event information. A client must call XFreeEventData to free this memory. XGetEventData returns False for multiple calls for the same event cookie. The XFreeEventData function frees the data associated with a cookie. A client must call XFreeEventData for each cookie claimed with XGetEventData. EXAMPLE CODE
XEvent event; XGenericEventCookie *cookie = &ev; XNextEvent(display, &event); if (XGetEventData(display, cookie)) { handle_cookie_event(cookie->data); } else handle_event(&event); } XFreeEventData(display, cookie); NOTES
A cookie is defined as unclaimed if it has been returned to the client through XNextEvent but its data has not been retrieved via XGetEventData. Subsequent calls to XNextEvent may free memory associated with unclaimed cookies. Multi-threaded X clients must ensure that XGetEventData is called before the next call to XNextEvent. SEE ALSO
XNextEvent(3), Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libX11 1.6.0 XGetEventData(3)