Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing three variables to loop and error Post 302919092 by Daniel Gate on Saturday 27th of September 2014 11:05:42 PM
Old 09-28-2014
Question Passing three variables to loop and error

I have many printer queues to be created in AIX 6.1. I can create printers with this line:

Code:
/usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piomkjetd mkpq_jetdirect -p 'hplj-4000' -D pcl -q 'emg1' -D ps -q 'emg1ps' -h 'emg1' -x '9100'

But, I like to feed the printer queue data, called "printfeed", so that I can loop to avoid a lot of manual entries.

HTML Code:
cat printfeed
emg1  emg1ps  emgj1
emg2  emg2ps  emgj2
..... snipped .....
zeba                  zeba
emr12               emr12
..... snipped .....

(note)  the second column can be empty
I want to pass the first column as $q1, the second column as $q2, and the third column as $q3.

Code:
for pqn in $(cat printfeed)
do
q1 = cat $pqn |awk '{print $1}'
q2 = cat $pqn |awk '{print $2}'
q3 = cat $pqn |awk '{print $3}'
/usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piomkjetd mkpq_jetdirect -p 'hplj-4000' -D pcl -q '$q1' -D ps -q '$q2' -h '$q3' -x '9100'  
done

With this script, I am getting:

PHP Code:
ksh[3]: q1:  not found.
ksh[4]: q2:  not found.
ksh[5]: q3:  not found.
Host name $q3 does not exist.  A valid host name is required
Really appropriate your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variables

Hi, Is there any way to pass variable to a sed script.For awk we have -v option.like that do we have any way to pass variable to a sed script from a awk script or from normal script? Thanx, sounder (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sounder123
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to sed

Hi folks, I'm looking for a solution to pass variables to a sed-command. I'm reading a lot of threats and also the q&a "How can I use a variable in sed?". None of these commands works. I'm using AIX 5.2. I want to do the following: NUMBER=` echo 38341` | sed -n '/$NUMBER/p' an obtained... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfisch
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing variables between scripts...

Hey all, I'm wondering how you pass variable's that are defined in one script to another script that's been called by that first script..... Best regards, Jaz (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing 2 variables

Hi All, I need to pass 2 variables name 'vamskt' and 'vamsi'. Here is my question: delete from gpi.usergroup where usg_user_id in ('vamskt'); delete from gpi.userroles where uro_user_id in ('vamskt'); delete from gpi.user where usr_id in ('vamskt'); insert into gpi.user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvamsikiran
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a string and passing passing arguments to a while loop

I have an for loop that reads the following file cat param.cfg val1:env1:opt1 val2:env2:opt2 val3:env3:opt3 val4:env4:opt4 . . The for loop extracts the each line of the file so that at any one point, the value of i is val1:env1:opt1 etc... I would like to extract each... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables

I have below data: DAY1=10202013 I am trying below but not getting the desired output: COUNT=1 DATE=DAY$COUNT echo "Date is $DATE" However output I am getting is: Date is DAY1 I wanted the output as: Date is 10202013 I tried following as well: DAY1=10202013 COUNT=1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockyr1985
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing variables to mkuser

In a ksh, I'm attempting to pass my string of arguments to the mkuser command in a variable as follows... cmd="pgrp=ACRGENU groups=ACRGENU home=/home/${USERID} shell=/usr/bin/ksh" cmd=$cmd" gecos='${USERNAME}' login=true su=false rlogin=true daemon=true" cmd=$cmd" admin=false... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubbawuzhere
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh While Loop - passing variables to functions

I'm reading a text file using a while loop but when I call a function from within this loop it exits that same iteration … even though there are many more lines in the file to be read. I thought it was something to do with the IFS setting but it appears that a function call (when run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
3 Replies
PSF(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    PSF(8)

NAME
psf - PostScript filter SYNOPSIS
psf [ -n name ] [ -h host ] [ -w width ] [ -l length ] [ -i indent ] [ -c ] DESCRIPTION
psf is an lpd filter for PostScript printing. psf interprets the name it was called with to determine what filters to invoke. First, if the string ``pap'' appears anywhere in the name, psf invokes pap to talk to a printer via AppleTalk. Next, if the string ``rev'' appears, psf invokes psorder to reverse the pages of the job. Finally, if psf was called with a filter's name as the leading string, it invokes that filter. If there is no filter to run, psf examines the magic number of the input, and if the input is not PostScript, converts it to Post- Script. KLUDGE
In the default configuration, psf supports two kludges. The first causes psf to check its name for the letter `m'. If this letter is found and accounting is turned on, psf calls pap twice, once to get an initial page count and to print the job, and another time to get a final page count. This is a work-around for bugs in a variety of PAP implementions that cause printers to never properly close the PAP output file. A notable example is any printer by Hewlett-Packard. The second kludge causes psf to examine its name for the letter `w'. If this letter is found and accounting is turned on, psf calls pap with the -w flag. This flag causes pap to wait until the printer's status contains the string `idle'. Once this string is found, the job is printed as normal. This kludge is a work-around for printers, notably Hewlett-Packard's LaserJet IV, which will report a page count while a previous jobs is still printing. EXAMPLE
The sample printcap entry below invokes psf to print text files, PostScript files, troff's C/A/T output, and TeX's DVI output, to an AppleTalk connected LaserWriter Plus. Since the LaserWriter Plus stacks pages in descending order, we reverse the pages and print the burst page last. laser|lp|LaserWriter Plus on AppleTalk: :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/laser: :lp=/usr/spool/lpd/laser/null: :lf=/var/adm/lpd-errs:pw#80:hl: :of=/usr/lib/filters/ofpap: :if=/usr/lib/filters/ifpaprev: :tf=/usr/lib/filters/tfpaprev: :df=/usr/lib/filters/dfpaprev: Note that if the host in question spools to more than one AppleTalk printer, /dev/null should not be used for the lp capability. Instead, a null device should be created with mknod for each printer, as has been done above. Finally, there is a file in the spool directory, /var/spool/lpd/laser, called .paprc, which pap reads for the AppleTalk name of the printer. SEE ALSO
psorder(1), printcap(5), lpd(8), mknod(8), pap(8). netatalk 1.2 17 Dec 1991 PSF(8)