Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Select distinct sequences from fasta file and list Post 302918635 by Marion MPI on Wednesday 24th of September 2014 01:44:05 PM
Old 09-24-2014
Select distinct sequences from fasta file and list

Hi
How can I extract sequences from a fasta file with respect a certain criteria? The beginning of my file (containing in total more than 1000 sequences) looks like this:
Code:
>H8V34IS02I59VP 
SDACNDLTIALLQIAREVRVCNPTFSFRWHPQVKDEVMRECFDCIRQGLG
YPSMRNDPILIANCMNWHGHPLEEARQWVHQACMSPCPSTKHGFQPFRMA
SATANCAKIIEYALSNGYDPVVNMQMGPKIGDARDFT*L*TVIRGLGTTR
WSG
>H8V34IS02IRUQO 
SDACNDLTTAYMQAARLVRVCNPTFSFRYHPQVKDEVMREAFGCIRHGLG
YPNIKNDSVLIPNAMYWHGHPLEEARQWVNQACMSPCPPXKYGCQPNRMA
SAANCAKMIEYTLHTGMIM**TCRVGTEGRVIRAYFKDFGGVLTRYGVKQ
MEWLDVVLIVRFT
>H8V34IS02HTVT3 
SDACNGMTIALMQAARLVRTPNPTFAFRWHPKVKDEVMREIFECIRHGLG
YPAMRNDPILISNAMHWHRHPIEEARTWVHQACMSPCPTTKHGTQPMRMA
HATANCAKIMEYALWNGYDHVVNMQMGPRTGDARKFTDFEQLFDAWVKQX
DGC
>H8V34IS02HI4PS 
SDACNALTDCYLEAALVSRVSDPTFGFRYHSKVRTETLRRVFECIRHGLG
YPSIRNDDVLIPNIMHWFGHPLKEARRWLHQACMAPAPDTKWGAPSLRYP
QASIITGSKAISLAMFDGFDPLTGMQTGIKTGDCSKFETFDEFYDAWYEQ
PKAGFKQATGMEH
>H8V34IS02F9NL0 
SDACNDLTIALLQIAREVRVCNPTFSFRWHPQVKDEVMRECFDCIRQGLG
YPSMRNDPILIANCMNWHGHPLEEARQWVHQACMSPCPSTKHGFQPFRMA
SATANCAKIIEYALSNGYDPVVNMQMGPKIGDAGISDFEQLFEAWVQTDG
VA*WIL

I want to extract the sequences containing the motif FDCIR? Can it be done with grep? Or do I need a pearl script?
In a next step: How could I even extract sequences with respect to fullfilling two or more criteria?

Looking forward getting your suggestions.

Cheers, Marion.

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 09-24-2014 at 04:55 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

select distinct row from a file

Hi, buddies out there. I have a text file ( only one column ) which I created using vi editor. The file contains duplicate rows and I would like to select distinct rows, how to go on it using unix command: file content = apple apple orange watermelon apple orange Can it be done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: merry susana
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select distinct values from a flat file

Hi , I have a similar problem. Please can anyone help me with a shell script or a perl. I have a flat file like this fruit country apple germany apple india banana pakistan banana saudi mango india I want to get a output like fruit country apple ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smalya
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select distinct rows in a file by last column

Hi, I have the following file: LOG:015608::ERR:2310:map_spsrec:Invalid parameter LOG:015608::ERR:2471:map_dgdrec:Invalid parameter LOG:015608::ERR:2487:map_nnmrec:Invalid number LOG:015608::ERR:2310:map_nmrec:Invalid number LOG:015608::ERR:2438:map_nmrec:Invalid number As a delimiter I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for changing the accession number of DNA sequences in a FASTA file

Hi, I am having a file of dna sequences in fasta format which look like this: >admin_1_45 atatagcaga >admin_1_46 atatagcagaatatatat with many such thousands of sequences in a single file. I want to the replace the accession Id "admin_1_45" similarly in following sequences to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: margarita
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequences from a FASTA file based on another file

I have two files. File1 is shown below. >153L:B|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE RTDCYGNVNRIDTTGASCKTAKPEGLSYCGVSASKKIAERDLQAMDRYKTIIKKVGEKLCVEPAVIAGIISRESHAGKVL KNGWGDRGNGFGLMQVDKRSHKPQGTWNGEVHITQGTTILINFIKTIQKKFPSWTKDQQLKGGISAYNAGAGNVRSYARM DIGTTHDDYANDVVARAQYYKQHGY >16VP:A|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelsonfrans
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shorten header of protein sequences in fasta file

I have a fasta file as follows >sp|O15090|FABP4_HUMAN Fatty acid-binding protein, adipocyte OS=Homo sapiens GN=FABP4 PE=1 SV=3 MCDAFVGTWKLVSSENFDDYMKEVGVGFATRKVAGMAKPNMIISVNGDVITIKSESTFKN TEISFILGQEFDEVTADDRKVKSTITLDGGVLVHVQKWDGKSTTIKRKREDDKLVVECVM KGVTSTRVYERA >sp|L18484|AP2A2_RAT AP-2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexypaul
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting unique sequences from multiple fasta file

Hi, I have a fasta file with multiple sequences. How can i get only unique sequences from the file. For example my_file.fasta >seq1 TCTCAAAGAAAGCTGTGCTGCATACTGTACAAAACTTTGTCTGGAGAGATGGAGAATCTCATTGACTTTACAGGTGTGGACGGTCTTCAGAGATGGCTCAAGCTAACATTCCCTGACACACCTATAGGGAAAGAGCTAAC >seq2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ibk
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to count the length of fasta sequences?

I could calculate the length of entire fasta sequences by following command, awk '/^>/{if (l!="") print l; print; l=0; next}{l+=length($0)}END{print l}' unique.fasta But, I need to calculate the length of a particular fasta sequence specified/listed in another txt file. The results to to be... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shorten header of protein sequences in fasta file to only organism name

I have a fasta file as follows >sp|Q8WWQ8|STAB2_HUMAN Stabilin-2 OS=Homo sapiens OX=9606 GN=STAB2 PE=1 SV=3 MMLQHLVIFCLGLVVQNFCSPAETTGQARRCDRKSLLTIRTECRSCALNLGVKCPDGYTM ITSGSVGVRDCRYTFEVRTYSLSLPGCRHICRKDYLQPRCCPGRWGPDCIECPGGAGSPC NGRGSCAEGMEGNGTCSCQEGFGGTACETCADDNLFGPSCSSVCNCVHGVCNSGLDGDGT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerrild
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add specific bases at the beginning and ending of all the fasta sequences?

Hi, I have to add 7 bases of specific nucleotide at the beginning and ending of all the fasta sequences of a file. For example, I have a multi fasta file namely test.fasta as given below test.fasta >TalAA18_Xoo_CIAT_NZ_CP033194.1:_2936369-2939570:+1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
1 Replies
2NDSCORE(1)						  User Contributed Documentation					       2NDSCORE(1)

NAME
2ndscore - find the best hairpin anchored at each position. SYNOPSIS
2ndscore in.fasta > out.hairpins DESCRIPTION
For every position in the sequence this will output a line: -0.6 52 .. 62 TTCCTAAAGGTTCCA GCG CAAAA TGC CATAAGCACCACATT (score) (start .. end) (left context) (hairpin) (right contenxt) For positions near the ends of the sequences, the context may be padded with 'x' characters. If no hairpin can be found, the score will be 'None'. Multiple fasta files can be given and multiple sequences can be in each fasta file. The output for each sequence will be separated by a line starting with '>' and containing the FASTA description of the sequence. Because the hairpin scores of the plus-strand and minus-strand may differ (due to GU binding in RNA), by default 2ndscore outputs two sets of hairpins for every sequence: the FORWARD hairpins and the REVERSE hairpins. All the forward hairpins are output first, and are identified by having the word 'FORWARD' at the end of the '>' line preceding them. Similarly, the REVERSE hairpins are listed after a '>' line ending with 'REVERSE'. If you want to search only one or the other strand, you can use: --no-fwd Don't print the FORWARD hairpins --no-rvs Don't print the REVERSE hairpins You can set the energy function used, just as with transterm with the --gc, --au, --gu, --mm, --gap options. The --min-loop, --max-loop, and --max-len options are also supported. FORMAT OF THE .BAG FILES The columns for the .bag files are, in order: 1. gene_name 2. terminator_start 3. terminator_end 4. hairpin_score 5. tail_score 6. terminator_sequence 7. terminator_confidence: a combination of the hairpin and tail score that takes into account how likely such scores are in a random sequence. This is the main "score" for the terminator and is computed as described in the paper. 8. APPROXIMATE_distance_from_end_of_gene: The *approximate* number of base pairs between the end of the gene and the start of the terminator. This is approximate in several ways: First, (and most important) TransTermHP doesn't always use the real gene ends. Depending on the options you give it may trim some off the ends of genes to handle terminators that partially overlap with genes. Second, where the terminator "begins" isn't that well defined. This field is intended only for a sanity check (terminators reported to be the best near the ends of genes shouldn't be _too far_ from the end of the gene). USING TRANSTERM WITHOUT GENOME ANNOTATIONS TransTermHP uses known gene information for only 3 things: (1) tagging the putative terminators as either "inside genes" or "intergenic," (2) choosing the background GC-content percentage to compute the scores, because genes often have different GC content than the intergenic regions, and (3) producing slightly more readable output. Items (1) and (3) are not really necessary, and (2) has no effect if your genes have about the same GC-content as your intergenic regions. Unfortunately, TransTermHP doesn't yet have a simple option to run without an annotation file (either .ptt or .coords), and requires at least 2 genes to be present. The solution is to create fake, small genes that flank each chromosome. To do this, make a fake.coords file that contains only these two lines: fakegene1 1 2 chome_id fakegene2 L-1 L chrom_id where L is the length of the input sequence and L-1 is 1 less than the length of the input sequence. "chrom_id" should be the word directly following the ">" in the .fasta file containing your sequence. (If, for example, your .fasta file began with ">seq1", then chrom_id = seq1). This creates a "fake" annotation with two 1-base-long genes flanking the sequence in a tail-to-tail arrangement: --> <--. TransTermHP can then be run with: transterm -p expterm.dat sequence.fasta fake.coords If the G/C content of your intergenic regions is about the same as your genes, then this won't have too much of an effect on the scores terminators receive. On the other hand, this use of TransTermHP hasn't been tested much at all, so it's hard to vouch for its accuracy. SEE ALSO
transterm(1) AUTHOR
Alex Mestiashvili <alex@biotec.tu-dresden.de> 2011-02-19 2NDSCORE(1)