Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep output to awk command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep output to awk command Post 302918609 by pilnet101 on Wednesday 24th of September 2014 11:51:46 AM
Old 09-24-2014
Is there any need to use awk here? Can't you just use grep and the mailx command alone?

---------- Post updated at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:46 AM ----------

How about something like:

Code:
var=$(grep Makarand abc.log)  
[[ ! -z "${var}" ]] && {
        echo "${var}"|mailx -s "Found something" abc@abcsys.com"|echo "${var}"|head -1        
}

This User Gave Thanks to pilnet101 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe'ing grep output to awk

This script is supposed to find out if tomcat is running or not. #!/bin/sh if netstat -a | grep `grep ${1}: /tomcat/bases | awk -F: '{print $3}'` > /dev/null then echo Tomcat for $1 running else echo Tomcat for $1 NOT running fi the /tomcat/bases is a file that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy25
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep/awk/egrep two values for given output?

Dear Friends, I have a command which can result following output. Packet is: /var/adm/yyyy/pkt6043 Intended for network : /vob/repo I would like to retrive pkt6043 and /vob/repo using single command. Blue color test will be always contstant and red color text will be dynamic ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep output as input for sed command

Hi, I would like to know if this is possible, and if so what can i do to make this work. I would like to grep a line X from fileA and then use the output to replace a word Y in fileB. grep "line X" fileA | sed -e 's/Y/X/g' > outfile this statement does not work, as i do not know how to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cavanac2
7 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to redirect grep command output to same file

Hi Everyone, Can anyone please tell me, how can I redirect the grep command output to same file. I am trying with below command but my original file contains no data after executing the command. $grep pattern file1 > file1 Kind Regards, Eswar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: picheswa
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep only a string on command output

How can I grep exactly a string that has .,/ characters using grep? Example: I want to grep ONLY string1 and not string1.more or string1.more.evenmore #lsauth ALL|grep 'string1' All output: string1 <--- This is the only I want. string1.more string1.evenmore. more.string1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting grep and awk output

Hi there. I have a very large file and I am trying to format it so that I can pull out certain pieces of data/info and report it in spreadsheet format/style. The file has ###### which will separate each line that will be listed in the spreadsheet. Whenever I find "No" at the end of a line I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or grep to search one column and output the other

Hello, it would be great if someone can help me with the following: I want to search for the rows from fileA in column 1 of fileB and output column 2 of fileB if found in fileC. In the moment I search within the complete file. How can I change the code so only column 1 is searched? cat fileA... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manyaka
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command output in tabular format

I have a grep command script which works fine and give the correct results but i wanted the output to be displayed in tabular format ? Is it possible to display the output in tabular format and as well direct them to some file. main script : #!/usr/bin/bash Start_Time=`date '+%m%d%y... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - grep particular word from output

Hi Experts, - Getting error while using it through a variable to get the PID, PID=42 # UNIX95=1 ps -e -o pcpu,pid,ppid,stime,etime,args | awk '{if ($2~"^42$") print $0}' 0.00 42 0 Feb 10 600-17:21:29 nfs_async_io - But when using with a variable it is not working . #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies
IS_STRING(3)								 1							      IS_STRING(3)

is_string - Find whether the type of a variable is string

SYNOPSIS
bool is_string (mixed $var) DESCRIPTION
Finds whether the type given variable is string. PARAMETERS
o $var - The variable being evaluated. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if $var is of type string, FALSE otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example #1 is_string(3) example <?php $values = array(false, true, null, 'abc', '23', 23, '23.5', 23.5, '', ' ', '0', 0); foreach ($values as $value) { echo "is_string("; var_export($value); echo ") = "; echo var_dump(is_string($value)); } ?> The above example will output: is_string(false) = bool(false) is_string(true) = bool(false) is_string(NULL) = bool(false) is_string('abc') = bool(true) is_string('23') = bool(true) is_string(23) = bool(false) is_string('23.5') = bool(true) is_string(23.5) = bool(false) is_string('') = bool(true) is_string(' ') = bool(true) is_string('0') = bool(true) is_string(0) = bool(false) SEE ALSO
is_float(3), is_int(3), is_bool(3), is_object(3), is_array(3). PHP Documentation Group IS_STRING(3)