Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search a character and replace it with multiple lines Post 302918256 by Mukul Sharma on Monday 22nd of September 2014 02:23:37 PM
Old 09-22-2014
Search a character and replace it with multiple lines

This is for AIX 6.1, I've a flat file and the format is like this

Code:
DECLARE
    some statements;

BEGIN

some statements;

END;

I've to search BEGIN and replace it with the following 4 lines
Code:
BEGIN
For x in 1..1
LOOP
BEGIN

Similarly I've to search END and replace it with the following text in 6 lines. I cannot combine lines and I need to put semi colon at the end as mentioned below in certain lines.

Code:
EXCEPTION 
	when DUP_VAL_ON_INDEX then
		continue;
END;
END LOOP;
END;

Can you please help?

Thanks

Mukul

Last edited by Corona688; 09-22-2014 at 03:53 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a perticular character of all lines of a file

Hi all, I am new to UNIX, so sorry if my question seem stupid to u. well i want to replace the first character of first 30 lines of a file, only if the first character is h. and in anothe script i want to replace a particular string/character say hello/h of a file.Condition: It should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abovais
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search and replace based on character count

Hi, I wanted to add a newline character after every 100 characters in a file using a awk or shell without reading each line of the file. I want to run a command on the complete file. This does based on a string but i want to add a new line after every 100 characters ir-respective of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi Search for text, Replace with <CR> or control character.

Greetings, Using vi, how can I change the following text: -I/myviews/nexus_7400rel/vobs/nexus/platforms/97400/include -I/myviews/nexus_7400rel/vobs/nexus/modules/i2c/7400/include -I/myviews/nexus_7400rel/vobs/nexus/modules/surface/7400/include Into this:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega949
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex:search/replace but not for escaped character

Hi Input: - -- --- ---- aa-bb-cc aa--bb--cc aa---bb---cc aa----bb----cc Output: . - -. -- aa.bb.cc (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chitech
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a particular word and replace the first character

Hi Unix gurus, I've a dna sequence in a file format known as fasta format (sequence header starts with > and ignored), an example shown below: >sequence_1 CGTATTCTCCGAATACC ATACG >sequence_2 CAGATTTTCAAATACCCCC In a file like this I want to do the following three search and replace. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace character in odd or even lines

Hello, I'm here again asking for your precious help. I'm writing some code to convert csv files to html. I want to highlight header and also I want to have rows with alternate colors. So far this is my work###Let's format first line only with some color cat $fileIN".tmp1" | sed '1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: emare
7 Replies
IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream" - stream-based protocols using lines of text SYNOPSIS
Most likely this class will be subclassed to implement a particular network protocol. package Net::Async::HelloWorld; use strict; use warnings; use base qw( IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream ); sub on_read_line { my $self = shift; my ( $line ) = @_; if( $line =~ m/^HELLO (.*)/ ) { my $name = $1; $self->invoke_event( on_hello => $name ); } } sub send_hello { my $self = shift; my ( $name ) = @_; $self->write_line( "HELLO $name" ); } This small example elides such details as error handling, which a real protocol implementation would be likely to contain. DESCRIPTION
EVENTS
The following events are invoked, either using subclass methods or CODE references in parameters: on_read_line $line Invoked when a new complete line of input is received. PARAMETERS
The following named parameters may be passed to "new" or "configure": on_read_line => CODE CODE reference for the "on_read_line" event. METHODS
$lineprotocol->write_line( $text ) Writes a line of text to the transport stream. The text will have the end-of-line marker appended to it; $text should not end with it. AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::Protocol::LineStream(3pm)