Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adding lines to a large file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding lines to a large file Post 302918062 by Akshay Hegde on Saturday 20th of September 2014 01:49:24 PM
Old 09-20-2014
Code:
$  awk '!f{f=/>[ \t]+<SOURCE>/}!s{s=/>[ \t]+<SOURCE_ID>/} f && s && !NF {print insert; f=s=""}1' insert="\n>  <SOURCE_SOURCE_ID>\nKEGG_C00002"  file

This User Gave Thanks to Akshay Hegde For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with selecting specific lines in a large file

Hello, I need to select the 3 lines above as well as below a search string, including the search string. I have been trying various combinations using sed command without any success. Can anuone help please. Thanking (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tansha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding strings to lines in a file

Hi all, I have a positional text file that comes from some source application. Before it is processed by destination application I have to add some header (suffix) to every record(line) in the file. e.g. Actual File ............... AccountDetails AcNO Name Amount 1234 John 26578 5678... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharath160
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for multiple lines in large file

Hi, I have a requirement to search for a string in a large log file along with few lines before and after the the string. The following script was sufficient to search such an entry. STRING_TO_GREP="$1" FILE_TO_GREP="$2" NUMBER_OF_LINES_BEFORE=$3 NUMBER_OF_LINES_AFTER=$4 for i in `grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new lines to a file + adding suffix to a pattern

I need some help with adding lines to file and substitute a pattern. Ok I have a file: #cat names.txt name: John Doe stationed: 1 name: Michael Sweets stationed: 41 . . . And would like to change it to: name: John Doe employed permanently stationed: 1-office (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemo21
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse large file on line count (random lines)

I have a file that needs to be parsed into multiple files every time there line contains a number 1. the problem i face is the lines are random and the file size is random. an example is that on line 4, 65, 187, 202 & 209 are number 1's so there has to be file breaks between all those to create 4... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: darbs121
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding missing lines in file

Dear all, I have a file with two columns - the first column is increasing every 50, the second column is just count (e.g. 5). However, when count is zero, no line is present. Sample: 1950 7 2000 14 2050 7 2100 13 2150 10 2200 9 2250 7 2300 8 2350 7... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count number of lines between a pattern in a large file

1000CUS E Y4NYRETAIL 10010004HELIOPOLIS 110000500022360591000056XX EG 1101DEBY XXAD ZSSKY TSSROS 1102HANYNNYY@HOTMAIL.COM 210030/05/201301/06/2013AED 3100 OPE 3100 CLO 3100 The 1000CUS E Y NYCORPORATE 10010004HELIOPOLIS 110000500025270504550203XX EG 1101XXXQ FOR CTING AND... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john2022
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding lines at a particular location in a file.

Hi Experts, Let us take a text file,say items.txt having the following data jar bottle gum tube cereal bag I want to add the content of items.txt to another file say #many lines not necessary ingredients #many line not necesary ingredients I want to append the data in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_1990
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to split a large file with the first 100 lines of each condition?

I have a huge file with the following input: Case1 Specific_Info Specific_Info Case1 Specific_Info Specific_Info Case3 Specific_Info Specific_Info Case4 Specific_Info Specific_Info Case1 Specific_Info Specific_Info Case2 Specific_Info Specific_Info Case2 Specific_Info Specific_Info... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: laurigo
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : Checking Large file for specific lines

Morning .. I have a file with approximately 1000 lines. I want to check that the file contains, for example, 100 lines. Something like whats given below is ugly. And even if I create a function I have to call it 100 times. I may need to look through multiple files at times. Is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
4 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)