Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with sed/awk command Post 302917883 by linuxUser_ on Friday 19th of September 2014 05:26:56 AM
Old 09-19-2014
Thanks again Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What do you know about the Sed and Awk command??

I just need some information on what they can be use for and whatever else there is. anything you know, state here (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Sed or AWK command!!!

Hi, I need help with Sed or AWk command.i want to remove all the numerals from the file name.These files are stored within a text file and after the numerals are removed,i need to redirect its output to another new .txt file. Input: aa_1002985_952.xml aa_bb_032207.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed for this awk command

Hi what would be the sed equivalent of this awk command: awk '/$getsn/{getline;next}{print}' file It deletes the variable found and the next line after it in a file. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisher115
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed Command : Parse parameter file / send the lines to the ksh export command

Sorry for the duplicate thread this one is similar to the one in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/88132-awk-sed-script-read-values-parameter-files.html#post302255121 Since there were no responses on the parent thread since it got resolved partially i thought to open the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpret sed and awk in the below command.

Could you interpret the following sed and awk command for me? command: cat tempfile2 |sed "s/\(BUILD-3-.*-\.-\)\(.*\..*\..*\)/\2/" | awk '{printf "%-8.8s %-23.23s %-30.30s %-50.50s\n", $1,$2,$3,substr($0,index($0,$4))}' > outfile2 2>/dev/null input:data in tempfile2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vj8436
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED/AWK command

Hi All, I have a file which has following lines : - Deploy XXX application <server-address> - info <server-address> - Deploy XXX application <server-address> - info <server-address> - Deploy XXX application <server-address> - info <server-address> I want output like this way in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line - awk, sed

My input file gfile values is CTRY=GM&PROJTYPE=SP&PROJECTTYPE=Small+Project If i am giving PROJECTTYPE then it must give Small Project awk -F"&" '{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) if ($i ~ "^"PAT) {sub ("^"PAT"=", "", $i); sed 's/'+'/""/' $i ; print $i }}' PAT=$1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk giving error ./sample.sh: line 13: sed: command not found

Hi, I am running a script sample.sh in bash environment .In the script i am using sed and awk commands which when executed individually from terminal they are getting executed normally but when i give these sed and awk commands in the script it is giving the below errors :- ./sample.sh: line... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed/awk command

Dear all, I have a file named as fileName with following entities, functions { planeDictName { type surfaces; functionObjectLibs ( "libsampling.so" ); outputControl timeStep; surfaceFormat vtk; fields ( p U ); ... (42 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
42 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed/awk command

Hi All, This is my first thread. Hopefully you guys can help me out. I have a csv file, that provides access to managers to a tool. The file is loaded onto our server containing all the assc id's with a trailing comma. For ex: 182950, 123456, However, we receive a file that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek Dubey
8 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)