Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Put a string to the beginning of a file without a linefeed Post 302917732 by nackstein on Thursday 18th of September 2014 10:02:34 AM
Old 09-18-2014
your welcome,
anyway if you need it in a pipe:
Code:
{ printf 'your string single quoted is better' ; cat file2 ; } |  sendmail-or-other-command

enjoy shell scripting Smilie

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data. Thanks

Last edited by vbe; 09-18-2014 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: code tags please
This User Gave Thanks to nackstein For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linefeed problem

I have a file in which I need to remove all newline characters but only if they are preceded by "^C" ( ASCII value 3 ) Basically this is a bulk copy file with "^B" and "^C" as delimiters for each record. The application producing the file is also appending a newline which I need to remove,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobgosling
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

carriage return and linefeed

hi can anyone please tell me the difference between carriage return, linefeed and newline ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfi8er
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

put a string before a searched string

hi all! i have a working that looks like this... file1 MALE JOHN MALE ANJO FEMALE ANNE MALE JAMES FEMALE HONEY FEMALE IZA what i want to do is insert "M" when the first string is "MALE" and insert "F" when the first string is "FEMALE". file1 M MALE ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute brackets in the beginning of string in perl?

Hi, I have a string like this user can specify different query sets that is why "or" is mentioned: $string="]("; or $string="](("; or $string="]((("; or $string="]((((("; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vanitham
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding one string at the beginning of each line in a file

Hi, I have file a.txt as below. I want to add one string root beginning of each line. Sample file a.txt aaa bbb ccc Sample output Root aaa Root bbb Root ccc Can any one help me on this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces in the beginning of a string

Hi, I am trying to remove spaces from the beginning of a string (which i am using in my shell script). For ex - my string looks like this - " no rows selected" and i want the string to look like this - "no rows selected" How can i achieve this? Thanks! (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrutihardas
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare particular string, if it is equal put into a new file

Hi, I have a file (sample.txt) this file contains below text. ./au ./11.5.0 ./11.5.0/admin ./11.5.0/admin/driver ./po ./11.5.0 ./11.5.0/admin ./11.5.0/admin/driver ./xxsbx/11.5.0/java/src ./xxsbx/11.5.0/lib ./xxsel ./xxsel/11.5.0 ./xxsel/11.5.0/admin ./zfa ./zfa/11.5.0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove white spaces from the beginning an end of a string in unix?

Suppose, I have a variable var=" name is ". I want to remove the blank spaces from the begining and endonly, not from the entire string. So, that the variable/string looks like following var="name is". Please look after the issue. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use grep sed or awk to extract string from log file and put into CSV

I'd like to copy strings from a log file and put them into a CSV. The strings could be on different line numbers, depending on size of log. Example Log File: File = foo.bat Date = 11/11/11 User = Foo Bar Size = 1024 ... CSV should look like: "foo.bat","11/11/11","Foo Bar","1024" (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove all occurrences of a character at the beginning of a string

Hi there, i need some help to remove all occurrences of a certain character at the beginning of a string. Example: my string is 00102030 and i want to remove all zeros from beginning of string so the result is 102030 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
3 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-benstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u Disable output buffering. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-benstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! The cat utility does not recognize multibyte characters when the -t or -v option is in effect. BSD
March 21, 2004 BSD