Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problems concatenating data using UNIX? Post 302917611 by brialp on Wednesday 17th of September 2014 08:20:52 PM
Old 09-17-2014
Thank you! Do I have to change anything in the code as I am getting an error?

Code:
$ cat t1
123|efg|"Try to solve.
This is a unix script. Trying to concatenate.

It seems to be simple but not as simple once I start scripting.
Sincerly,
XYZ
ABC"|5|3|6 months
789|def|"Better way to solve this issue."|4|6|7 years

I tried the following
Code:
awk -F\| '{while(NF<6 && getline p) $0=$0 " "p}1' t1
awk: syntax error near line 1
awk: bailing out near line 1

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Don Cragun; 09-18-2014 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating static string to records in data file

I just need to add a static ID to each output record so the users will be able to tell which group records in combined flatfiles come from I have the static ID in a bourne variable. I tried awk '{print "${GroupID}" $0}' infile > outfile But I ended up with the string ${GroupID} instead of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to read the data from an excel sheet and use those data as variable in the unix c

I have 3 columns in an excel sheet. c1 c2 c3 EIP_ACCOUNT SMALL_TS_01 select A.* from acc; All the above 3 col shoud be passed a variable in the unix code. 1.How to read an excel file 2.How to pass these data as variable to the unic script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Grace
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problems with a script that outputs data to a file

First of all, im a total newbie to the point that i do not know what are the terms to search for my problem. I did however spend the rest of the day today trying to figure out what is wrong with my bash script. ive always thought that the best way to learn is to tackle a problem heads on. but at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joeribut
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Validating XSL sheet data in Unix Data file

Dear All, Need your help. In my day to day activities I have to validate/search Excel Sheet data (eg.say Application No. 0066782345) data into the Unix environment file whether the same data is present in that file or not. There are hundreds of records coming in excel file and I am doing grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravijunghare
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excution Problems with loading huge data content and convert it

Hi, I got long list of referred file content: CGTGCFTGCGTFREDG PEOGDKGJDGKLJGKL DFGDSFIODUFIODSUF FSDOFJSODIFJSIODFJ DSFSDFDFSDOFJFOSF SDFOSDJFOJFPPIPIOP . . . Input file content: >sample_1 SDFDSKLFKDSLSDFSDFDFGDSFIODUFIODSUFSDDSFDSSDFDSFAS (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution Problems with scan and change file data content

Input file >Read_1 XXXXXXXXXXSDFXXXXXDS ASDRXXXXXTGAGTXXXXXT TGTGATXXXXXAXXXXGXXA . . Desired output file >Read_1 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDS ASDRXXXXXTGAGTXXXXXT TGTGATXXXXXXXXXXXXXA . . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating the lines of a data

I have a data of 1 lac lines with the following format abcde,1,2,3,4, ,ee ,ff ,gg ,hh ,mm abcde,3,4,5,6, ,we ,qw ,as ,zx ,cf abcde,1,5,6,7, ,dd ,aa ,er .... .... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with fetching data from Oracle database

Here's a database query which looks up the NAME column of PRODUCT table SELECT NAME FROM PRODUCT ; And this query retrieves me the following output SUGAR COCOA HONEY WHEAT CABBAGE CAULI FLOWER Please note the last record CAULI FLOWER contains TWO blank spaces between the two words. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Problems with EURO symbol in a data flat file

Hi, I'm creating a flat file with various deimiters in Linux RHEL. the content for the flat file will be extracted from an oracle database. delimiters also stored in a seperate table in oracle databasae. when i use extended ASCII characters like cedilla or EURO (€) symbols, the actual character is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fakru.y
9 Replies
Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)