Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Performance improvement in grep Post 302917558 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 17th of September 2014 01:04:02 PM
Old 09-17-2014
Not sure if it will make much of a difference, but something like this:
Code:
find . -type f -name '*.txt' -exec grep -F 99023 {} + > myresult.text

You can use grep -Fh is you want to omit the file names...

---
When you say increases CPU utilization to 90%, why would that be bad performance? I can imagine if it takes too long that you should like to speed it up, but just the fact that it temporarily uses a lot of CPU is not necessarily bad..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 09-17-2014 at 04:47 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to improve grep performance...

Hi All, I am using grep command to find string "abc" in one file . content of file is *********** abc = xyz def= lmn ************ i have given the below mentioned command to redirect the output to tmp file grep abc file | sort -u | awk '{print #3}' > out_file Then i am searching... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooga17
2 Replies

2. Programming

File - reading - Performance improvement

Hi All I am reading a huge file of size 2GB atleast. I am reading each line and cutting certain columns and writing it to another file. Here is the logic. int main() { string u_line; string Char_List; string u_file; int line_pos; string temp_form_u_file; ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any improvement possible in this script

Hi! Thank you for the help yesterday This is the finished product There is one more thing I would like to do to it but I’m not to certain On how to proceed I would like to log all output to a log in order to Be able to roll back This script is meant to be used in repairing a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ex-Capsa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed / grep / for statement performance - please help

I'm searching the most effective way of doing the following task, so if someone can either provide a working solution with sed or one totally different but more effective then what I've got so far then please go ahead! The debugme directory has 3 subdirectorys and each of them has one .txt file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

performance of shell script ( grep command)

Hi, I have to find out the run time for 40-45 different componets. These components writes in to a genreric log file in a single directory. eg. directory is LOG and the log file name format is generic_log_<process_id>_<date YY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS>.log i am taking the run time using the time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikash_k
3 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Possible performance improvement (Bash and flat file)

Hello, I am pretty new to shell scripts and I recently wrote one that seems to do what it should but I am exploring the possibility of improving its performance and would appreciate some help. Here is what it does - Its meant to monitor a bunch of systems (reads in IPs one at a time from a flat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prafulnama
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Severe performance issue while 'grep'ing on large volume of data

Background ------------- The Unix flavor can be any amongst Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and Linux. I have below 2 flat files. File-1 ------ Contains 50,000 rows with 2 fields in each row, separated by pipe. Row structure is like Object_Id|Object_Name, as following: 111|XXX 222|YYY 333|ZZZ ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik
6 Replies

8. Programming

Help with improve the performance of grep

Input file: #content_1 12314345345 242467 #content_14 436677645 576577657 #content_100 3425546 56 #content_12 243254546 1232454 . . Reference file: content_100 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Performance issue with 'grep' command for huge file size

I have 2 files; one file (say, details.txt) contains the details of employees and another file (say, emp.txt) has some selected employee names. I am extracting employee details from details.txt by using emp.txt and the corresponding code is: while read line do emp_name=`echo $line` grep -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arb_1984
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need the improvement for my script

Hi All, Here is my script #! /bin/sh var1=some email id var2=some email id grep -i "FAILED FILE FORMAT VALIDATION" /opt >tmp2 diff tmp1 tmp2 | grep ">" >tmp3 if then cat tmp3 | mailx -s " Error Monitoring" $var2 else echo "Pattern NOt Found" | mailx -s " Error Monitoring" $var1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopalak
1 Replies
NEW(1)                                                               [nmh-1.5]                                                              NEW(1)

NAME
new - report on folders with new messages fnext - set current folder to next folder with new messages fprev - set current folder to previous folder with new messages unseen - scan new messages in all folders with new messages SYNOPSIS
new [sequences] [-mode mode] [-folders foldersfile] [-version] [-help] fnext is equivalent to new -mode fnext fprev is equivalent to new -mode fprev unseen is equivalent to new -mode unseen DESCRIPTION
New in its default mode produces a one-line-per-folder listing of all folders containing messages in the listed sequences or in the sequences listed in the profile entry "Unseen-Sequence". Each line contains the folder, the number of messages in the desired sequences, and the message lists from the .mh_sequences file. For example: foo 11.* 40-50 bar 380. 760-772 824-828 total 391. The `*' on foo indicates that it is the current folder. The last line shows the total number of messages in the desired sequences. New crawls the folder hierarchy recursively to find all folders, and prints them in lexicographic order. Override this behavior by provid- ing foldersfile containing the pre-sorted list of folders new should check, one per line. In fnext and fprev modes, new instead changes to the next or previous matching folder, respectively. In unseen mode, new executes scan sequences for each matching folder. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence SEE ALSO
scan(1), mh-format(5) HISTORY
Based on Luke Mewburn's new (http://www.mewburn.net/luke/src/new). MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEW(1)