Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running process in nohup
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Running process in nohup Post 302917528 by arunkumar_mca on Wednesday 17th of September 2014 09:39:43 AM
Old 09-17-2014
Running process in nohup

Hi All,

I am facing issue in running a process in nohup. I ran a process in terminal since it is taking too long to complete I need to make it as background and nohup. I tried below and was able to make it in back ground

1. Cntrl + Z
2. bg

I am using Korn Shell so disown is not working can you please help me to know how can I force it to nohup

Thanks,
Arun

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup process hangs

Hi All, I tried searching for this, but I have yet to find anything useful. So here goes, if a script executed from another script with nohup & hangs, does it affect the parent script? Reason I ask, we have a windows box with NFS, and we use it to store some of our files. Currently, I mount the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sully
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pid of nohup process

I want to print the pid of a nohup process to a file so later I can use the list of pid's in that file to stop the background processes again. I use ksh on AIXv5.3: nohup /start/script.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ > .pid nohup /start/script2.ksh 1>/dev/null 2>&1 print $$ >> .pid But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

nohup and background process

What is the difference between running a process using nohup and running a process in background ? Please explain (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srksn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of NOHUP - How to keep the child process running even if I close the Server connection

Hi. ! When I use the 'NOHUP' along with the '&', the process will be running in the background. Even when I attempt to close (Meaning 'EXIT') the session (say PUTTY in this case), it wont exit unless the process is completed. But, say when I forcefully terminate the session (SHUT DOWN the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WinBarani
2 Replies

5. AIX

Query on running script with nohup

Hi, I'm trying to run database restore script with the nohup command as it will run for long hours since if I run it normally, the putty session will become inactive and the restore gets terminated. The command I use is nohup db2 -tvf FBR_NODE0000.scr -z FBR_NODE0000.log & But the problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkcool.17
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while running script using nohup

Hi, I am running the below script. When i run the script normally it executes fine but when i run the same script using nohup it throws an error as getStatus.sh: syntax error at line 3: `(' unexpected . Can you let me know why it is so? while do . $(dirname $0)/include.sh cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pause process running under nohup?

Hi ALL, Is there any way to pause a running process under nohup ? I have fired a build commands with required flags under nohup as below. now how can I pause the started build process. nohup make DEVICE=ap DEBUG=1 & I understand we can use ctrl + z to pause a foreground process... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep a script on remote machine running (nohup?)

Hi, I'm using expect to ssh into remote machine (i know its not the best practice), and run script "script.sh". This "script.sh" checks whether an other process (some another script) is running and if not, it runs it as some other user. #!/bin/bash /usr/bin/expect << EOD set... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oseri
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running nohup command on remote server

I am having an issue in running a nohup command in a remote linux box from a linux box. Here are the details. Linux Machine 1: I have a script which starts a services and dumps the output into a log file. nohup sh weblogic.sh >> /home/log.out & I have placed the entire command in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: accessbalaji
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup not give expected output. Non-stop running process

Hello, I am trying to make a bash script, I tested nohup but it did not help me. My code is: ffmpeg -i $input_url -c:v copy -c:a copy -listen 1 -f mpegts http://localhost:port/live/test When I open it in VLC, it starts feeding my screen and I see bitrate values. When I stop watching it,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
4 Replies
NOHUP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup -- invoke a command immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
nohup utility [arg ...] DESCRIPTION
The nohup command allows the specified utility to be protected from termination if the user should become logged out (for example, due to a modem line or TCP/IP connection being dropped). To do this, nohup sets the SIGHUP signal(3) (``terminal line hangup'') to be ignored, then executes utility along with any arguments. If the standard output is a terminal, the standard output is appended to the file nohup.out in the current directory. If standard error is a terminal, it is directed to the same place as the standard output. If the output file nohup.out cannot be created in the current directory, nohup attempts to create the file in the user's home directory. If the file nohup.out cannot be created, either in the current directory or the user's home directory, nohup will exit without invoking utility, with an exit value as described below. ENVIRONMENT
The following variable is used by nohup. HOME User's home directory. EXIT STATUS
The nohup utility exits with one of the following values: 126 The utility was found but could not be invoked. 127 The utility could not be found or an error occurred in nohup. Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of utility. SEE ALSO
signal(3) STANDARDS
The nohup command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
July 15, 2005 BSD