Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Waiting for wildcard filename to exists in while loop Post 302916761 by Amey Joshi on Thursday 11th of September 2014 07:15:12 PM
Old 09-11-2014
RedHat Waiting for wildcard filename to exists in while loop

Hi Experts,

We are developing a script which will wait for the trigger file(with datetime in the trigger file name).
But the problem is when I use 'while' loop to wait for the file, it waits for the filename with wilcard in it that is wait for 'Trigger*.done' file. Smilie
Below is the script

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

path="/home/user/"
triggerfile="Trigger*.done"
counter=0
max_counter=12
actualfile=${path}${triggerfile}

while [ ! -f ${actualfile} ]; do
let counter=counter+1
if [ $counter -ge $max_counter ]
then
 echo "email reached max counter"
else
 sleep 5
fi
done

This script works when I touch 'Trigger*.done' file in the source. Is there anyway to loop until the filename(with wildcard character) exists?SmilieSmilie

Appreciate your help!!

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

test if a filename exists with specified string (ksh)

I'm trying to do a simple if statement that tests if a filename exists with a user specified string. So say I have these files: Assigned_1day_after_due_chuong Assigned_1day_after_due_gallen Assigned_1day_after_due_heidenre and i'm running a script and want to know if a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob122480
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

filename in loop

i have a filename_1=file1.dat filename_2=file2.dat i want to pass the filename in a loop for((i=1;i<=2;i++) do awk{print $1} $filename_$i.dat done how should i pass the filename (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh(!93) for loop with wildcard and empty directory

I'm sure this is by design, but using something like for f in dir/* do echo $f done produces unexpected (to me) results if run against an empty directory. I'd have expected it to not execute the loop, but it actually calls it with f set to 'dir/*'. Now I know that I'm trying to protect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spr00t
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use the information from filename in a for loop

hi here is my script set -vx b=`cat /info_d05/visage/SrcFiles/Customer_Master/Log_Files/last_date.txt` for name in /info_d05/visage/SrcFiles/Customer_Master/Input_Files/* do fname=`basename $name` p=`$fname|cut -d"_" -f6|sed 's/\(.*\)....../\1/'` if then cp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: djrulz123
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard search in if loop

Practice folder contains many files and im interested in extracting file which starts with abc* ghi* xyz* . I need to do variety of operations for different files. if file starts with xyz* then i need to move to some destination otherwise some other destination. I am not able to make wildcard... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaar1986
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop without checking file exists

In several scripts that process files matched by name pattern I needed to add a check for file existence. Just to illustrate let's say I need to process all N??? files: /tmp$ touch N100 N101 /tmp$ l ?10 -rw-rw-r-- 1 moss group 0 Apr 19 11:22 N100 -rw-rw-r-- 1 moss group ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Verify if filename exists

Hi, I have a variable returned from Oracle SQL Function which holds file names. I would like to test if all the file names mentioned in the string exists in a directory. If all the files exists print "exists", even if one file does not exists print "Does not exists". e.g. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers1234
3 Replies

9. AIX

Issue with wildcard in filename (AIX 7.1.0.0)

Hi, This has been pestering me for quite a while, any help will be highly appreciated The current directory has a file with below name npidata_20050523-20171210.csv The below wildcard matched the above file ls -ltr npidata_????????-201712??.csv But when the part '201712' is put... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zulfi123786
6 Replies
COUNTER(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						COUNTER(9)

NAME
counter -- SMP-friendly kernel counter implementation SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/systm.h> #include <sys/counter.h> counter_u64_t counter_u64_alloc(int wait); void counter_u64_free(counter_u64_t c); void counter_u64_add(counter_u64_t c, int64_t v); void counter_enter(); void counter_exit(); void counter_u64_add_protected(counter_u64_t c, int64_t v); uint64_t counter_u64_fetch(counter_u64_t c); void counter_u64_zero(counter_u64_t c); #include <sys/sysctl.h> SYSCTL_COUNTER_U64(parent, nbr, name, access, ptr, descr); SYSCTL_ADD_COUNTER_U64(ctx, parent, nbr, name, access, ptr, descr); DESCRIPTION
counter is a generic facility to create counters that can be utilized for any purpose (such as collecting statistical data). A counter is guaranteed to be lossless when several kernel threads do simultaneous updates. However, counter does not block the calling thread, also no atomic(9) operations are used for the update, therefore the counters can be used in any non-interrupt context. Moreover, counter has special optimisations for SMP environments, making counter update faster than simple arithmetic on the global variable. Thus counter is considered suitable for accounting in the performance-critical code pathes. counter_u64_alloc(wait) Allocate a new 64-bit unsigned counter. The wait argument is the malloc(9) wait flag, should be either M_NOWAIT or M_WAITOK. If M_NOWAIT is specified the operation may fail. counter_u64_free(c) Free the previously allocated counter c. counter_u64_add(c, v) Add v to c. The KPI does not guarantee any protection from wraparound. counter_enter() Enter mode that would allow to safely update several counters via counter_u64_add_protected(). On some machines this expands to critical(9) section, while on other is a nop. See IMPLEMENTATION DETAILS. counter_exit() Exit mode for updating several counters. counter_u64_add_protected(c, v) Same as counter_u64_add(), but should be preceded by counter_enter(). counter_u64_fetch(c) Take a snapshot of counter c. The data obtained is not guaranteed to reflect the real cumulative value for any moment. counter_u64_zero(c) Clear the counter c and set it to zero. SYSCTL_COUNTER_U64(parent, nbr, name, access, ptr, descr) Declare a static sysctl oid that would represent a counter. The ptr argument should be a pointer to allocated counter_u64_t. A read of the oid returns value obtained through counter_u64_fetch(). Any write to the oid zeroes it. SYSCTL_ADD_COUNTER_U64(ctx, parent, nbr, name, access, ptr, descr) Create a sysctl oid that would represent a counter. The ptr argument should be a pointer to allocated counter_u64_t. A read of the oid returns value obtained through counter_u64_fetch(). Any write to the oid zeroes it. IMPLEMENTATION DETAILS
On all architectures counter is implemented using per-CPU data fields that are specially aligned in memory, to avoid inter-CPU bus traffic due to shared use of the variables between CPUs. These are allocated using UMA_ZONE_PCPU uma(9) zone. The update operation only touches the field that is private to current CPU. Fetch operation loops through all per-CPU fields and obtains a snapshot sum of all fields. On amd64 a counter update is implemented as a single instruction without lock semantics, operating on the private data for the current CPU, which is safe against preemption and interrupts. On i386 architecture, when machine supports the cmpxchg8 instruction, this instruction is used. The multi-instruction sequence provides the same guarantees as the amd64 single-instruction implementation. On some architectures updating a counter require a critical(9) section. SEE ALSO
atomic(9), critical(9), locking(9), malloc(9), sysctl(9), uma(9) HISTORY
The counter facility first appeared in FreeBSD 10.0. AUTHORS
The counter facility was written by Gleb Smirnoff and Konstantin Belousov. BSD
February 7, 2014 BSD