Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX command for checking the cron job failures? Post 302916352 by gull04 on Tuesday 9th of September 2014 10:55:11 AM
Old 09-09-2014
Hi,

You will have to request some assistance from your admin team, although you should remember that any user (if allowed) may use the cron daemon and have their own crontab file - where the output from any cron jobs including mails will be sent to that user.

Regards

Dave

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job

Sir, I using the following commands in a file (part of a bigger script): #!/bin/bash cd /opt/oracle/bin ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}' >> /tmp/ramb.out If I run this from the command prompt the result is: 2007-05-16 if I run it as a cron job then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajranibl
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sudo command not working with cron job.

Hello, I have written a script that has a sudo command to change file permissions within it. When I run the script manually, the sudo command inside of it works fine. When the script is run through crontab I get the error "cron: not found". It the same user profile that I am using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
6 Replies

3. HP-UX

Unix - Cron Job Help

Up until now I used Oracle's Enterprise manager to submit the batch job. However its SMTP function (Sends EMail about Job status) is unstable lately. I want to use Unix's Cron to submit my batch job. This way I can also eliminate the middle layer (Oracle's Enterprise manager). Please help how I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixhp
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the cron process in unix

Hi Experts, Is there any command by which i can chk that the cron process is running fine? Say i have scheduled the cron to run at 10 o clock every monday,Do i need to wait for the time it runs and then chk using ps -ef? Please shed some light. Thanks Ashok. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron job to run a command from another dir?

I would like to setup a cron job to run a command from another directory. What is the best way to do this? The cron file is in a directory and the script I want it to run is in another directory. I tried doing this in the cron file: /location/of/command/run.sh But that did not work.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with sar command in cron job

HI, I have a problem with 'sar' command. I am using the sar comman in script.when i execute the script manually using ./filenae, i am getting the desired output. But when i put the script in cron job i am not getting the desired value. Below is the script.. sar > $_LOCATION/sar.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron job: command not found

Hi, I have a simple script. When I run it as cron job. I jot email saying: /bin/sh: line 1: test.tmp: command not found. the test.tmp looks like: #!/bin/sh date > done Even I took first line out, I got the same error. The current shell I have is /bin/tcsh Could anyone help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natxie
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron Job - date command problem

Hi I have one problem with cron job in Control Panel. I have a log file that is created once a day on another server and I need to transfer it in an exact time to my server so I wrote the cron job for it BUT the problem is in the date command: /filelog-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar.gz; The file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobo_balde
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to set trap for finding cron job failures

Unix box: solaris 5.8 Server: IP Need to to set trap for cron job failures by writing a shell script (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChandruBala73
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job cannot run the command

Hi, I created this cron job for asterisk to send sms daily to a number #!/bin/sh #custom mod - send sms once a day, at 07:00. CRON_PATH="/etc/asterisk/gw/crontabs_root"; if ! grep 'gsm send sms' $CRON_PATH > /dev/null 2>&1 ;then echo "* 7 * * * asterisk -rx 'gsm send sms 1 7666... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzyzha
4 Replies
cron(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   cron(8)

NAME
cron - The system clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
The cron daemon runs shell commands at specified dates and times. Commands that are to run according to a regular or periodic schedule are found within the crontab files. Commands that are to run once only are found within the at files. You submit crontab and at file entries by using the crontab and at commands. Because the cron process exits only when killed or when the system stops, only one cron daemon should exist on the system at any given time. Normally, you start the cron daemon from within a run command file. During process initialization and when cron detects a change, it examines the crontab and at files. This strategy reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. The cron command creates a log of its activities. The cron daemon must be started from the system startup scripts because it must begin execution without a login user ID set. The cron daemon starts each job with the following process attributes stored with the job by the invoking process: Login user ID Effective and real user IDs Effective and real group IDs Supplementary groups It also establishes the following attributes from the authentication profile of the account associated with the login user ID of the invok- ing process: Audit control and disposition masks Kernel authorizations DIAGNOSTICS
The at and batch programs will refuse to accept jobs submitted from processes whose login user ID is different from the real user ID. FILES
Specifies the command path. Main cron directory Directory containing the crontab files. List of allowed users. List of denied users His- tory information for cron Queue description file for at, batch, and cron RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), crontab(1), rc0(8), rc2(8), rc3(8) Files: queuedefs(4) delim off cron(8)