Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to merge two .doc files from different servers.? Post 302916175 by gull04 on Monday 8th of September 2014 04:03:22 AM
Old 09-08-2014
Hi,

You'll need them on the same server, then you just need a command like;

Code:
cat host1.doc host2.doc > all_hosts.doc

I'm assuming that you have just chosen the Microsoft ".doc" extension as an example. As Word documents have other information that will need to be stripped away or the documents converted to a text format for that to work.

Regards

Dave

Last edited by gull04; 09-08-2014 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: Changed for clarity

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to merge these two files?

I have two files, each of them has 12 lines, fileA has 3 columns, fileB has 1 column, like the following FileA a 1 b 2 c 3 ..blabla FileB A B C ..blabla Now I am trying to put the content of fileB as column 3 of fileA, e.g. a 1 A b 2 B c 3 C (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files of differrent size with one field common in both files using awk

hi, i am facing a problem in merging two files using awk, the problem is as stated below, file1: A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|1 M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|2 AA|BB|CC|DD|EE|FF|GG|HH|II|1 .... .... .... file2 : 1|Mn|op|qr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi1982
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge 2 files

Hi , This might be the stupidest question I am asking, but I am struck with this problem. I am trying to merge 2 files, file1 has header and file2 has contents. while I merge them , it merges from the 1st line of file1. for ex: file1 col1|col2|col3| file2 123|234|456|... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rusty with cp command -- how to cp all .doc files with .txt extension

I'm rusty with cp, so I was wondering: is it possible to cp all the .doc files in a folder and make them .txt files? Can you use cp to do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

5. Linux

Find MSWord doc Files by Year and then Copy

I need to be able to find all *.doc files by year last modified and then perform an action such as copy to folder: /documents/2011 the 'find' command seems to show the path but not the full file details, which includes the date modified as the ls command does. I got this far with ls, but have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamarsh
2 Replies

6. Programming

Is it possible to change search inside .pdf or .doc files?

the titele was wrong ... the true one is: Is it possible to search words inside .pdf or .doc files? is it possible if i changed the word into binary combination:eek:? and this way is super too hyper huge of greatest codes i ever seen:D to read only 1 word so is there any other ways:confused:? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking in a directory how many files are present and basing on that merge all the files

Hi, My requirement is,there is a directory location like: :camp/current/ In this location there can be different flat files that are generated in a single day with same header and the data will be different, differentiated by timestamp, so i need to verify how many files are generated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge the data from two servers into a single file

Hi All, Need your inputs for the below. I have 2 different servers 611 & 610, where i would be running two scripts. And would would be running one script from 611 at every 4 hours to merge the data from the 2 servers into 2 files and send a mail. so below is the code snippet for 611: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I view doc files from terminal

Sometimes I'm working from terminal for long periods of time and I come across a doc file I don't recognize. I've been trying to figure out how to view it instead of opening up word. I've tried cat but it jumps into binary and my terminal goes nuts. Is there a way I can do this from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syregnar86
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files and generate a resume in two files

Dear Gents, Please I need your help... I need small script :) to do the following. I have a thousand of files in a folder produced daily. I need first to merge all files called. txt (0009.txt, 0010.txt, 0011.txt) and and to output a resume of all information on 2 separate files in csv... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
14 Replies
GIT-MERGE-BASE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-MERGE-BASE(1)

NAME
git-merge-base - Find as good common ancestors as possible for a merge SYNOPSIS
git merge-base [-a|--all] <commit> <commit>... DESCRIPTION
git merge-base finds best common ancestor(s) between two commits to use in a three-way merge. One common ancestor is better than another common ancestor if the latter is an ancestor of the former. A common ancestor that does not have any better common ancestor is a best common ancestor, i.e. a merge base. Note that there can be more than one merge base for a pair of commits. Among the two commits to compute the merge base from, one is specified by the first commit argument on the command line; the other commit is a (possibly hypothetical) commit that is a merge across all the remaining commits on the command line. As the most common special case, specifying only two commits on the command line means computing the merge base between the given two commits. As a consequence, the merge base is not necessarily contained in each of the commit arguments if more than two commits are specified. This is different from git-show-branch(1) when used with the --merge-base option. OPTIONS
-a, --all Output all merge bases for the commits, instead of just one. DISCUSSION
Given two commits A and B, git merge-base A B will output a commit which is reachable from both A and B through the parent relationship. For example, with this topology: o---o---o---B / ---o---1---o---o---o---A the merge base between A and B is 1. Given three commits A, B and C, git merge-base A B C will compute the merge base between A and a hypothetical commit M, which is a merge between B and C. For example, with this topology: o---o---o---o---C / / o---o---o---B / / ---2---1---o---o---o---A the result of git merge-base A B C is 1. This is because the equivalent topology with a merge commit M between B and C is: o---o---o---o---o / / o---o---o---o---M / / ---2---1---o---o---o---A and the result of git merge-base A M is 1. Commit 2 is also a common ancestor between A and M, but 1 is a better common ancestor, because 2 is an ancestor of 1. Hence, 2 is not a merge base. When the history involves criss-cross merges, there can be more than one best common ancestor for two commits. For example, with this topology: ---1---o---A / X / ---2---o---o---B both 1 and 2 are merge-bases of A and B. Neither one is better than the other (both are best merge bases). When the --all option is not given, it is unspecified which best one is output. AUTHOR
Written by Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org[1]> DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[2]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. torvalds@osdl.org mailto:torvalds@osdl.org 2. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-MERGE-BASE(1)