Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Junk character appearing after downloading the file from windows server Post 302916052 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 6th of September 2014 10:45:41 AM
Old 09-06-2014
What is your LANG setting?? What LANG setting does the remote computer use? awk is barfing on locale (LANG encoding)
-- because it thinks that leading character means something.

You can see the hex for the problem character: (Linux example)
Code:
od -x -N 10 filename

-- The very first hex entry.

If the character were a BOM for 16bit encoding and it was wrong the whole file would be garbage. So, I think Scrutinizer is correct.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get rid of junk character in a file

I have a file with one of the following lines, when opened with vi 33560010686GPT£120600GBPGBP10082007DS In the above line, I want to get rid of the junk character before the £ (pound sysmbol). When I tried copying £ from windows and copy in unix vi, it prints as £ and I tried pattern replace... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nskworld
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Junk Character in file

Hi set filename "./GopiRun.sh" if } err] { writeLog "error in exec " writeLog $a } else { writeLog $a } The above code will execute a file GopiRun.sh,and will log the output of the exec to a file. The problem is the file has lot of junk character in it,how to avoid it. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathgopi214
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all JUNK character from file.

Hi Team, I have a file having size greater than 1 GB. What i want to do is to check if it contains any JUNK character (ie any special charater thats not on the key board stroke). This file has 532 column & seperated with ^~^. I have found some solution from the file, but it is for a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
4 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Downloading a file from Website to a Windows Folder

Hi, Is it possible to download a file using Wget or some other command from a Windows machine? Say I want to download something from https server to C:\ABC\abc.xls Any ideas, Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dohko
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Count amount of times of appearing of character before a word?

Hello Is there a way to calculate how many times a particular symbol appeared in a string before a particular word. Desktop/Myfiles/pet/dog/puppy So, I want to count number of occurence of"/" in this directory before the word dog lets say. Cheers, Bob (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check Junk character in sql file

Hello, I have two .sql files which I transferred from Windows to Unix (Linux Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3).I want to ensure that these two files have no junk characters in them.How do I do it in the simplest possible way? Many thanks DJ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Digjoy83
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing of junk character

Dear ALL, How to remove junk charecter ^M from unix file i am using sun solaris unix. I already tried few commands :%s/^M//g :%s/r//g but it didnt helped me. Any help appriciated. Thanks Ripudaman Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripudaman.singh
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS1 (Prompt character) appearing in cat output

RedHat Linux 5.8/Korn Shell I have text file name /etc/oracle/config.loc. It has the following text #Device/file getting replaced by device +OCR ocrconfig_loc=+DATA ocrmirrorconfig_loc=+OCRBut , when I open this file using cat , the PS1 character (for prompt) appears as the last character... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to see junk character in file in.?

Hi I want to know how to see junk character in a file. i am not able to see junk character using vi or cat command. below is the junk char . which i see in host file 10.178.14.67▒▒▒ ac01sp02-vip actually it should be like this 10.178.14.67 ac01sp02-vip i am using secure CRT... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
11 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Help in viewing the junk character

Hello All, I have issues in unix file when I loaded that to database and do select * from table where description like '%'+char(13)+'%' on it I am able to get records. I tried to view the file in unix it is all having blank character which I think is all non ascii which I am not able view.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
11 Replies
FTP_NB_FGET(3)								 1							    FTP_NB_FGET(3)

ftp_nb_fget - Retrieves a file from the FTP server and writes it to an open file (non-blocking)

SYNOPSIS
int ftp_nb_fget (resource $ftp_stream, resource $handle, string $remote_file, int $mode, [int $resumepos]) DESCRIPTION
ftp_nb_fget(3) retrieves a remote file from the FTP server. The difference between this function and ftp_fget(3) is that this function retrieves the file asynchronously, so your program can perform other operations while the file is being downloaded. PARAMETERS
o $ftp_stream - The link identifier of the FTP connection. o $handle - An open file pointer in which we store the data. o $remote_file - The remote file path. o $mode - The transfer mode. Must be either FTP_ASCII or FTP_BINARY. o $resumepos -The position in the remote file to start downloading from. RETURN VALUES
Returns FTP_FAILED or FTP_FINISHED or FTP_MOREDATA. EXAMPLES
Example #1 ftp_nb_fget(3) example <?php // open some file for reading $file = 'index.php'; $fp = fopen($file, 'w'); $conn_id = ftp_connect($ftp_server); $login_result = ftp_login($conn_id, $ftp_user_name, $ftp_user_pass); // Initate the download $ret = ftp_nb_fget($conn_id, $fp, $file, FTP_BINARY); while ($ret == FTP_MOREDATA) { // Do whatever you want echo "."; // Continue downloading... $ret = ftp_nb_continue($conn_id); } if ($ret != FTP_FINISHED) { echo "There was an error downloading the file..."; exit(1); } // close filepointer fclose($fp); ?> SEE ALSO
ftp_nb_get(3), ftp_nb_continue(3), ftp_fget(3), ftp_get(3). PHP Documentation Group FTP_NB_FGET(3)