Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extreme Beginner
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Extreme Beginner Post 302916018 by Don Cragun on Friday 5th of September 2014 08:17:34 PM
Old 09-05-2014
No. The first character indicates the file type:
Code:
           b     Block special file.
           c     Character special file.
           d     Directory.
           l     Symbolic link.
           s     Socket.
           p     FIFO (pipe).
           -     Regular file.

Some systems have additional file types that would be indicated by other characters in the 1st column.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner Help

hi guys, i have a DEl xps laptop cor 2 duo 2.2 i have vista installed on it i want to install a dual Boot UNIX on it.. can some one guide me ...cause i m tottaly new to UNIX i want to install unix on that laptop along with Vista.... thx any help would be deeply appreciated (sorry if i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan082
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Help

I need to write a script to test a nsort c program. I have written 8 .txt files with different cases. Also 8 .txt files with expected outcome. The shell I have written always "test pass" for the first case but always "fail" for the rest... Here is a portion of my code (as I still don't know how to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodeau
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner - What Should I Do First?

Hi people.... I have just started to learn unix.I want to know which version of Unix to install plus how to install it.I need to practise and make myself aware of how unix works.My thread is from an educational point of view.Also please feel free to give your suggestions as I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.kanade1983
3 Replies
mknod(1M)																 mknod(1M)

NAME
mknod - create special files SYNOPSIS
name major minor name major minor name DESCRIPTION
The command creates the following types of files: o Character device special file (first form), o Block device special file (second form), o FIFO file, sometimes called a named pipe (third form). name is the path name of the file to be created. The newly created file has a default mode that is readable and writable by all users(0666), but the mode is modified by the current setting of the user's file mode creation mask (see umask(1)). Character and Block Special Files Character device special files are used for devices that can transfer single bytes at a time, such as nine-track magnetic tape drives, printers, plotters, disk drives operating in "raw" mode, and terminals. To create a character special file, use the argument. Block device special files are used for devices that usually transfer a block of data at a time, such as disk drives. To create a block device special file, use the argument. The remaining arguments specify the device that will be accessible through the new special file: major The major number specifies the major device type (for example, the device driver number). minor The minor number specifies the device location, which is typically, but not always, the unit, drive, and/or line number. The major and minor values can each be specified in hexadecimal, octal, or decimal, using C language conventions (decimal: no leading zero; octal: leading zero; hexadecimal: leading The assignment of major and minor device numbers is specific to each HP-UX system. Refer to the System Administrator manuals supplied with your system for details. Only users who have appropriate privileges can use to create a character or block device special file. FIFO files To create a FIFO (named pipe or buffer) file, use the argument. You can also use the command for this purpose (see mkfifo(1)). All users can use to create FIFO files. WARNINGS
Access Control Lists In HFS file systems, optional ACL entries can be added to special files and FIFOs with the command (see chacl(1)). In JFS file systems, optional ACL entries can be added to special files and FIFOs with the command (see setacl(1)). However, system programs are likely to silently change or eliminate the optional ACL entries for these files. SEE ALSO
chacl(1), mkdir(1), mkfifo(1), setacl(1), umask(1), lsdev(1M), sam(1M), mknod(2), acl(5), aclv(5), mknod(5). HP-UX System Administrator manuals STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
mknod: SVID2, SVID3, XPG2 mknod(1M)