Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extreme Beginner
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Extreme Beginner Post 302915973 by SomeDudeOnline on Friday 5th of September 2014 02:20:00 PM
Old 09-05-2014
Extreme Beginner

Hi everyone,

I just started my ERP Systems Administration class a couple weeks ago and we're focusing on Unix/Linux and SAP systems. For Unix/Linux we're using Putty.

This teacher is trying to make the class as close to as real as a job as he can. The class is at 9 AM (he teaches an 8 AM class right before this) and he doesn't really give any instruction as to how to accomplish anything. He gives us homework and groupwork with things to be done but no how to or reference material. In class he's lectured a little bit on commands and shortcuts in linux/unix (most of it went over my head) but that's about all the instruction we get.

So my questions are probably so basic I should be embarrassed, but I currently know next to nothing so please bare with me. And to be clear I'm not complaining about the style of the class (yet lol) just letting you know why my questions are so elementary.

Code:
cd /bin 
pwd
ls -l

After entering the code above one of the questions is:
What is the meaning of having a “d”, “l” or “-“as the first character in the display from the above command?

As I understand it, the code is taking me to the bin directory (not sure what that is) and pwd is simply displaying the directory I'm currently in. ls -l is to list files and directories, I assume -l is to display the files and directories in "l" (whatever "l" is).

With that being said, I believe a "d" as the first character means that the file is a directory or sub-directory. Files starting with "l" seem to have text in the far right column colored blue while files starting with "-" have text in the far right column colored green. And some of the data in the far right column for the "l" files point farther right to green data.

What does all of this tell me? I have no idea.

Can anyone help me out with this?

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner Help

hi guys, i have a DEl xps laptop cor 2 duo 2.2 i have vista installed on it i want to install a dual Boot UNIX on it.. can some one guide me ...cause i m tottaly new to UNIX i want to install unix on that laptop along with Vista.... thx any help would be deeply appreciated (sorry if i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan082
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Help

I need to write a script to test a nsort c program. I have written 8 .txt files with different cases. Also 8 .txt files with expected outcome. The shell I have written always "test pass" for the first case but always "fail" for the rest... Here is a portion of my code (as I still don't know how to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodeau
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner - What Should I Do First?

Hi people.... I have just started to learn unix.I want to know which version of Unix to install plus how to install it.I need to practise and make myself aware of how unix works.My thread is from an educational point of view.Also please feel free to give your suggestions as I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.kanade1983
3 Replies
CMAP(5) 							File Formats Manual							   CMAP(5)

NAME
cmap - format of .cmap files (color maps) DESCRIPTION
Color-map files define the mapping between eight-bit color numbers and red, green and blue intensities used for those numbers. They are read by Magic as part of system startup, and also by the :load and :save commands in color-map windows. Color-map file names usually have the form x.y.z.cmapn, where x is a class of technology files, y is a class of displays, z is a class of monitors, and n is a version number (currently 1). The version number will change in the future if the formap of color-map files ever changes. Normally, x and y correspond to the corresponding parts of a display styles file. For example, the color map file mos.7bit.std.cmap1 is used today for most nMOS and CMOS technology files using displays that support at least seven bits of color per pixel and standard-phosphor monitors. It corresponds to the display styles file mos.7bit.dstyle5. Color-map files are stored in ASCII form, with each line containing four decimal integers separated by white space. The first three inte- gers are red, green, and blue intensities, and the fourth field is a color number. For current displays the intensities must be integers between 0 and 255. The color numbers must increase from line to line, and the last line must have a color number of 255. The red, green, and blue intensities on the first line are used for all colors from 0 up to and including the color number on that line. For other lines, the intensities on that line are used for all colors starting one color above the color number on the previous line and continuing up and through the color number on the current line. For example, consider the color map below: 255 0 0 2 0 0 255 3 255 255 255 256 This color map indicates that colors 0, 1, and 2 are to be red, color 3 is to be blue, and all other colors are to be white. SEE ALSO
magic(1), dstyle(5) 4th Berkeley Distribution CMAP(5)