Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Create user builder script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create user builder script Post 302915900 by nimafire on Friday 5th of September 2014 09:49:39 AM
Old 09-05-2014
ok . i want to write a script which can create username and password with 2 argumans instead of run useradd and passwd
something like:
sh script.sh alex alzex*457
and in can create alex with password alzex*457

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

script to create multiple instances of a user account across LPAR's

My company has about 40 databases with each database in a different logical partition. Presently the SysAdmin person says it is necessary to create a user profile (login and password for each instance of databases on each LPAR. 1. Is it necessary that the user must be created in each LPAR? 2.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kcampbell
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a Shell script to create Multiple User Accounts

Hi All, Am New to shell scripting , Can u please Help me to Create a shell script which Creates Multiple Users (say up to 250 users) ,am using Rehat server 5 enterprise Edition .. I am really in need of this script So tat i can save time and effort for this Job .. KIndly help me Please ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rksubash
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a script that executes when a user attempts to delete history logs

Hi, I have a linux redhat 9 server and I am concerned about the security on that server. I would like to be able to write a script that records all the commands that were typed at the command prompt before the user calls the 'history -c' command and deletes all the history. I was thinking about... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mishkamima
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create new user account and password in shell script

I am trying to create a shell script that will: check if a specific user already exists if not, create a specific group and create the user in that group assign a password to that user, where the password is passed in as a parameter to the script The problem that I need help with is 3 on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: killuane
4 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

create an array which can store the strings from the user input in shell script

I want to create an array which can store the strings from the user input in shell script . example :- I want to store the 5 fruits name in a single array which the user provides . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pkast
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

New To UNIX - Need Script to create report of user & group accounts

Hi, I'm new to the world of UNIX and have been asked to create a complex script (at least complex to me:confused:) for AIX UNIX to create a report of all the users on the server including server, user, UID, groups, GID, etc. Found a script using lsuser, but the output is still lacking. 2 things I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panthur
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user if UID not exist; else, exit the script

Hi, I want to write a script to check whether an user ID is used in my server and then create that user. If the user ID is not used, I will echo something like "OK, continue" and then continue to execute the script. Else, I will echo something like "Used, exit" and then exit the script. As... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for User Management (Create, Delete, Disable...etc)

Hi Everyone, Am very new to shell scripting and would need help on a script that needs to be executed on a central server which takes IP, Flavor (AIX, Solaris, RHEL) as inputs and create a new account/user, update the existing users settings, delete or disable the users/accounts in those servers... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VenkatPVS
3 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.10 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)