Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Memory release latency issue
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Memory release latency issue Post 302915892 by imagtek on Friday 5th of September 2014 09:12:03 AM
Old 09-05-2014
Thanks all for very informative replies. Memory allocation at the system level is more complex than I thought. I'll dig into the mmap() possibility. Part of my design-for-performance strategy working with huge images is to code low-level and as close to the system as possible, so it looks like more work to do there. As I said, first time through these algorithms fly, then its like they get stuck in the mud. Sometimes simply painting the screen hangs for seconds at a time. Always immediately after using/freeing massive blocks of memory.

I'll play around with some of these ideas and let you know what I find. I'm pushing my old 8 GB machine to its limits, maybe a bit past them, but that is what its for.

Thanks again for the valuable information.
imagtek

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Memory Issue

Hi There, I have upgraded the DELL poweredge 2600 server memory from 2GB to 4GB. However, the memory only showed at 2GB of utilization. How to make sure that the server is full utilize of 4GB of memory. Is there the Virtual memory need to be reconfigure as this server is run on windows 2000 and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestro
2 Replies

2. Linux

Memory issue while diff !!!

Hi All Any idea? why am I having this memory issue? perforce@ixca-pforce-bak:/home/p4-demo-root$ diff checkpoint_offline ../p4-demo-root2/checkpoint.1150 diff: memory exhausted Thanks a lot C Saha (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
0 Replies

3. AIX

Shared memory issue

Hi friends.. Help to solve this issue... Is there any parameter setting to control or limit the size of the shared memory a process can attach for the below specified environment? The man pages says it can attach upto segments of size 2GB. But when our process (which also connects to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdspawankumar
0 Replies

4. Linux

Virtual Memory issue

Hi all, I was compiling my glibc 2.6.1 source files on a new kernel 2.66.22.6 and it seems that i am running into issues with the Virtual Memory. It displays the error message: virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory‏ I saw an article on how to adjust the parameters but i can't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Locked memory issue

One of our project has exceeded its assigned max-memory-locked by 3 times .. The said project is using around 9 gigs as described by rss parameter in prstat -J .. and the max-project-memory parameter has been defined as 3gigs .. is it normal or we are monitoring the project memory usage in wrong... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

6. AIX

AIX memory issue

Currently server have load while there is no heavy things running, just oracle database/ application server oracle. I don't understand why server have heavy load, 22GB is under buffer, how to clean buffer/memory in AIX load averages: 9.42, 9.43, 9.68; 05:25:08 141 processes: 125 idle, 16... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
12 Replies

7. Solaris

Zone memory issue

We have a zone configured in our X4600 machine with memory capped to 16GB. Most of the time zone is running with high physical memory utilization. It seems from "top" command shows that the command "kernel" is locks 15GB phy. memory and not using swap memory. Whenever we restart the application... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock123
2 Replies

8. AIX

Memory issue

I have a server with 300Gb allocated to it. Some times I observed in topas Comp% 73 and Non comp 35% and client is also 35% and my paging is showing 92%. If my physical memory utilized only 70% then why paging is so high. And what is relation between Comp, noncomp and client? If the memory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powerAIX
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Memory Issue

I could not find what is consuming the memory, generated DSET reports and NO hardware wise memory issue. 64 GB RAM on a server yet all I could see is a very limited memory available. I am not sure if I am reading this correct or not. I have used free -t -m and cat /proc/meminfo (results below)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
3 Replies

10. Linux

Swap memory issue

Hi, In our production box i can see the Swap space using the below command free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 65963232 41041084 24922148 0 877160 35936292 -/+ buffers/cache: 4227632 61735600 Swap: 4192880 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
6 Replies
services.window(4)					     Kernel Interfaces Manual						services.window(4)

NAME
services.window - file containing applications and their associated memory window ID DESCRIPTION
The file is used by applications using memory windows. Each line in the file associates an application with a memory window ID. A line in the file cannot start with a space or tab. The format is a unique name, defining the application, followed by a space/tab, followed by a unique window_id. See the sample file in Memory windows allows for the starting of a process in a unique or existing memory window where it can create and share objects with other applications in the same memory window. The creation of memory windows removes the system wide restriction on shared resources. Without memory windows, 32-bit processes were lim- ited to 1.75 gigabytes of shared resources. Each memory window allows for the definition of a unique 1 gigabyte quadrant and since multi- ple memory windows can be defined in a system, the system total for shared resources can exceed the 1.75 gigabyte limitation for 32 bit processes. The definition of a memory window is only available for 32-bit processes. The file provides a central place for memory window applications to associate their memory window IDs. In the event there are any colli- sions, only a change in is necessary to select another memory window for the entire application. If is not used, and user applications hard code window IDs in their startup scripts, collisions are not easily detected or easily fixed. A memory window application uses the command getmemwindow(1M) to extract the application's window_id from the file, and then passes that ID to the setmemwindow(1M). Using the same window ID places applications in the same memory window. EXAMPLES
Below is a example of a file. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
File containing applications' associated window ID. SEE ALSO
getmemwindow(1M), setmemwindow(1M). on services.window(4)