Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Network script for ping status Post 302915793 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 4th of September 2014 04:56:56 PM
Old 09-04-2014
How about this:

Code:
IPS="10.66.1.133  10.66.6.133  10.66.7.133  10.66.0.133
     10.66.1.5    10.66.2.133  10.66.4.133  10.66.3.133
     10.66.5.133  10.66.2.5    10.66.3.5    10.66.7.5
     10.66.0.5    10.66.6.5    10.66.4.5    10.66.5.5"

printf "1. connections available and listing those ips\n"
printf "2. connections not avialble and listing those ips\n"
while true
do
    printf "\n\nPlease select you choice [1-2]: "
    read
    printf "\n"
    CNT=0
    list=""
    case $REPLY in
       1|2) for ip in $IPS
          do
              if ping -c 1 -W 1 $ip 2>&1 2>&1 | egrep -q "unreachable|100%"
              then
                 [ $REPLY -eq 2 ] && let CNT=CNT+1 && list="$list\n$ip"
              else
                 [ $REPLY -eq 1 ] && let CNT=CNT+1 && list="$list\n$ip"
              fi
          done
          [ $REPLY -eq 1 ] && printf "$CNT connections are available\n\nIPs are,$list"
          [ $REPLY -eq 2 ] && printf "$CNT connections are not available\n\nIPs are,$list" ;;
       *) printf "Invalid choice\n\n"
          break
       ;;
    esac
done

Note: the parameters and output format of ping can vary from OS to OS for Redhat Linux you have -c 1 -W 1 parameters for 1 ping with 1 sec timeout. On another system it could be -n 1 -w 1.

For failed output we are looking for "100%" or "unreachable" (as in "100% packet loss" or "destination is unreachable").

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 09-04-2014 at 06:19 PM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Network Status

Hi, My system ( Solaris 2.6, Entrerprise 250 ) shows lot of connections in TIME_WAIT status against service localhost.8007 and localhost.45221 What are these services and where can I get the cross references. I have checked up in /etc/services and there is no such entry. Infact... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibz
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Network Card Status Script

I have multiple Sun Solaris 8 systems running multiple network cards. (Mix of quad and gig cards.) What I would like to do is create a monitor script to ensure high availability of these cards. Has anyone ever had a situation like this? I was thinking of using the ping command, but am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Krusty
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIC The Status Down but I can ping the localhost??!!

Hello, hi guys I don't know what is the problem with my NIC I can ping the Localhost (LOOPBACK) but when I run a scripts to check the NIC statuse it's shown the NIC DOWN sooo what could be the problem and what is the best way to start trouplshooting the NIC in SUN-SOLARIS. Regards, Karim ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoquest
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ping all the machines in the network

Is there any option for the utility "ping" , which can ping all the machines in the network? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
5 Replies

5. IP Networking

Able to ping server's private network

Hi guys, I'm in the progress of setting up a private network in our Sun solaris platform. Existing ip: 172.16.102.101 New private ip: 192.168.2.3 Netmask is the same for both private & public 255.255.255.0 After setting up the ip, I'm able to ping this private ip address from our... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

ping to different network in linux

Hi all, please help solving my small issue below is the configuration I have 3 systems sytem1 -------- system 2 ----------system 3 system 1 : 10.255.1.4 & default gw 10.255.1.55 system2 : ip 1 : 10.255.1.55 , ip 2: 10.255.2.1 system 3 : ip : 10.255.2.3 on system 2 : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 - ping network issue

Hi, I'am begineer in this OS. I've installed it few days ago only to perform project "Managing users in Solaris". I have to create two virtual systems in eg. vmware , connect them and eg. rlogin from user1/machine1 to user2/machine2, give them some permissions to write read etc (this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michael.pelc
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

RHEL4 on VM cannot get status network link down

Hi All, RHEL4 on VM cannot get status network link down. when I unplug network cable. - ESX found interface down - but VM RHEL4 not detect that !, It show still up (mii-tool) Please help share you idea for my case. ESXi 5.1.0, RHEL4 Thank you, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
3 Replies

9. AIX

Able to ping the server but not able to login through putty it says network timeout

Able to ping the server but not able to login through putty it says network timeout Please assist (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping the service with out port number on remote network

I got the service status through nc on remote network but 2 services doesn't have port number.how to get the other 2 services status with out port number .pls provide the solution to me. I need to develop with is in a script (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
2 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)