Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Error when using vim to open files Post 302915674 by fred2028 on Thursday 4th of September 2014 08:49:56 AM
Old 09-04-2014
Error when using vim to open files

Hi all, 1st post here. I'm on Solaris and currently, I get the following error if I try to use vim to edit anything:
Code:
Error detected while processing function <SNR>6_initialize:
line    2:
E697: Missing end of List ']':
E116: Invalid arguments for function <SNR>6_defineOption
line    3:
E10: \ should be followed by /, ? or &
line    4:
line    5:
line    6:
line    7:
line    8:
line   86:
E121: Undefined variable: g:fuf_modes
E116: Invalid arguments for function filter
line   87:
E15: Invalid expression: g:fuf_modes
line   95:
E15: Invalid expression: g:fuf_modes
Press ENTER or type command to continue

This only happens after I "source" (what's this mean?) with the following:
Code:
. shrc

After I source, my home directory becomes a different user's ... Where should I start looking to fix this error? The errors don't seem to correspond to my .bashrc or, .vimrc, or the shrc file.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance pls - pipe error: Too many open files in system

When I run a bash script in the customer system, it throws the warning and script exits Exec '/root/sample.sh' @ hostname-- OK (warn) /root/sample.sh: pipe error: Too many open files in system /root/sample.sh: n + : syntax error: operand expected (error token is " ") Exec... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyamirra
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Vim or Ex to rename all files in a folder

Is there a way to use Vim or Ex to rename all files in a folder? For example if i have a folder with Apples1.txt, Apples2.txt, Apples3.txt, could I rename all files so they are Oranges1.txt, Oranges2.txt, Oranges3.txt ? I know with :bufdo %s/apples/oranges/g|update you can do this for inside... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VimNewUser
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

VI/VIM ERROR ^Z

Dear Unix user, I'm using putty 0.60 (on Windows Vista) to connect by ssh protocol to other Linux computer. I have a problem with VI/VIM. When I key button "n" or "b", it returns me n^Z or b^Z. What could the problem be?! Thanx a lot, Maria Elena (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mesana
0 Replies

5. Linux

VI/VIM ERROR ^Z

Dear Unix user, I'm using putty 0.60 (on Windows Vista) to connect by ssh protocol to other Linux computer. I have a problem with VI/VIM. When I key button "n" or "b", it returns me n^Z or b^Z. What could the problem be?! Thanx a lot, Maria Elena (0 Replies)
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VI/VIM ERROR ^Z

Dear Unix user, I'm using putty 0.60 (on Windows Vista) to connect by ssh protocol to other Linux computer. I have a problem with VI/VIM. When I key button "n" or "b", it returns me n^Z or b^Z. What could the problem be?! Thanx a lot, Maria Elena (7 Replies)
7 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

how to open ~/.vim/ in 10.6

I have MacOSX 10.6, I cannot open this more than 24hours, Google is also not helpful. pubxx-xxx:~ xxx$ cd ~/.vim -bash: cd: /Users/xxx/.vim: No such file or directory pubxx-xxx:~ xxx$ PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c_lady
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing Two Files, Possibly with VIM

Hello, I have a problem comparing two files, both .csv. One file, let's call it files.csv, contains a list of thousands of file names for models of molecules that have made it through an optimization process. The other file, formulas.csv, contains file names for the same kind of models, and has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuart Ness
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window, vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
3 Replies
gets(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   gets(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
gets - Read a line from a channel SYNOPSIS
gets channelId ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command reads the next line from channelId, returns everything in the line up to (but not including) the end-of-line character(s), and discards the end-of-line character(s). If varName is omitted the line is returned as the result of the command. If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable by that name and the return value is a count of the number of characters returned. If end of file occurs while scanning for an end of line, the command returns whatever input is available up to the end of file. If chan- nelId is in nonblocking mode and there is not a full line of input available, the command returns an empty string and does not consume any input. If varName is specified and an empty string is returned in varName because of end-of-file or because of insufficient data in non- blocking mode, then the return count is -1. Note that if varName is not specified then the end-of-file and no-full-line-available cases can produce the same results as if there were an input line consisting only of the end-of-line character(s). The eof and fblocked commands can be used to distinguish these three cases. SEE ALSO
file(n), eof(n), fblocked(n) KEYWORDS
blocking, channel, end of file, end of line, line, nonblocking, read Tcl 7.5 gets(n)