Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random password generation
Operating Systems AIX Random password generation Post 302915672 by vbe on Thursday 4th of September 2014 08:44:55 AM
Old 09-04-2014
6.1 and 7.1 have bash... I dont know for 5.2, 5.3

#--
Seems 5.3 also (well here I found a 5.3 box that has bash mans and the shell...

Last edited by vbe; 09-04-2014 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: addendum for 5.3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Random number generation

Hi...How can I generate random numbers between a given range ...preferably between 1 and 100...in UNIX C programming...? I tried out functions like rand(),drand48() etc but didnt get satisfactory results... Thanks a lot in advance.......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random number generation in ksh

I need to generate a random number in ksh everytime I run the script ,the range should be from 100 to 24800,I could use $RANDOM but I seem to have no control over the range of numbers ,could you please suggest some way I could implement this .Thanks. Mervin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mervin2006
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate a random password

Hello All... Can someone help me generate a random password which will be 7 characters long which contains alpha-numeric characters using shell script. I am looking to store the output of the script that generates the password to a variable within a script and use it as the password. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
5 Replies

4. Programming

Generate Random Password in C

I need a function to generate a random alphanumeric password in C code. It needs to be between 6-8 characters and follow the following rules: Reject if same char appears # time: 4 or more Reject if same char appears consecutively: 3 or more I have the following random password working for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjaws
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

SSH: Avoiding password prompt with rsa key generation

Hi, I am using a remote storage service for backing up our data - we want to have a script run as part of a cron job which would do the backups from our local Linux machine to the service's Linux machine. I want to use tar and ssh to do this (rather than mounting the disk and using cp) .... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random NUmbers Generation with out repetation

Hi I have the below code MAXCOUNT=10 count=1 echo echo "$MAXCOUNT random numbers:" echo "-----------------" while # Generate 10 ($MAXCOUNT) random integers. do number=$ + 1 ] "echo $number" let "count += 1" # Increment count. done But aftre executing this ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitka
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

random number generation in ksh

i tried to use $random function in unix i simply typed print $random at shell and it returnted no value is there any function in korn shell that i can use to generate random number help is appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random word generation with AWK

Hi - I have a word GTTCAGAGTTCTACAGTCCGACGAT I need to extract all the possible "chunks" of 7 or above letter "words" from this. SO, my out put should be GTTCAGA TTCAGAG TCAGAGT CAGAGTTCT TCCGACGAT CAGTCCGACG etc. How can I do that with awk or any other language? I have no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Random insertion of letters to password

Hi,, Here i have attached a text file where iam facing problem in my code. Please read the file and help me out of this issue.. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
4 Replies
lpasswd(8)						      System Manager's Manual							lpasswd(8)

NAME
lpasswd - Change group or user password SYNOPSIS
lpasswd [OPTION]... [name] DESCRIPTION
Changes password of user or group name. If the name argument is not provided, username of the invoking user is used; the name argument is ignored if lpasswd is run set-uid to a different user. Entering an empty password (by pressing Enter) aborts the password setting operation. OPTIONS
-F, --plainpassword-fd=fd Read password from file descriptor fd, terminated by end of file, ' ' or ' '. -f, --password-fd=fd Read password hash from file descriptor fd, terminated by end of file, ' ' or ' '. -g, --group Change password of group name. By default the password of user name is changed. -i, --interactive Ask all questions when connecting to the user database, even if default answers are set up in libuser configuration. -P, --plainpassword=password Set the password to password. Note that the password can be viewed while running lpasswd using tools such as ps(1). -p, --password=encrypted Set the password to the password represented by the hash encrypted. Note that the hash can be viewed while running lpasswd using tools such as ps(1). EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 on success, nonzero on error. libuser Jan 12 2005 lpasswd(8)