Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to add nodev for /dev/shm partition in Linux using shell script? Post 302915108 by Litu1988 on Monday 1st of September 2014 12:47:12 AM
Old 09-01-2014
Hi Perderabo/ gull04,

Thanks for the response. I will try this out and update this thread. I am using RHEL 5 and RHEL 6 Version.

Hopefully, gu1104's solution will work. currently we are avoiding use of awk command as we have huge no (in thousands)of servers and doing it so via scripting may impact performance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ran out of space on /dev/root partition

hi, I have a SCO unix server which has a 36gb hard drive, but the IT company who supplied it assigned 1gb to /dev/root, 15mb to /dev/boot and 33gb to /dev/u. The /dev/root partition is now full, is there a way I can use the 33gb assigned to /dev/u without loosing any data, preferably... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Martyn
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to add aditional space on an exsisting Linux Partition..

Hi, I need to add more space to an exsisting /u partition by adding an additional physical drive, so that the additional space is added in continuation to the exsisting /u diskspace. Is it possible...if yes....how do I go about it. Thanks, Amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitsayshii
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove /dev/sdb partition using fdisk - BY ACCIDENT!

Hello everyone - Please forgive me if I violate the forum's etiquette as this is my very first post. I'm posting this on both the dummies and the advance section with the hope for any responses. I stumbled on this forum while frantically looking for an answer to a dumb, ignorant thing I did... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevindoman
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove /dev/sdb partition using fdisk - BY ACCIDENT!

Hello everyone - Please forgive me if I violate the forum's etiquette as this is my very first post. I'm posting this on both the dummies and the advance section with the hope for any responses. I stumbled on this forum while frantically looking for an answer to a dumb, ignorant thing I did... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevindoman
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to make and mount a Partition

Hi, I need to mount a new partition in a series of Pc that have a single hard drive of 20 GB; the used and partioned space amounts to 10 GB, between root, boot and swap; the script is to make the mounting process automatic These are the contents of my script: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HernandJ2
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script Partition Creation

Hello all How is it going I want Shell Patch The work of the following division of the disk Can this 200 MB EXT3 /boot 20 Gb EXT3 / 10 GB Swap End Of Space ( Linux LVM ) Found a similar script can be customized by you to be the work required #!/bin/bash VSIZE=200 fdisk /dev/hda... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: x-zer0
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/dev/shm space in red hat linux

I am using redhat linux machine and oracle11g version. /dev/shm shows 88%. Will this be freed automatically? OR should i clean any files? >df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/systemvg-rootvol 7.6G 2.2G 5.1G 30% /... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Increasing size for /dev/shm

Hello, How do I increase the size of /dev/shm ? Additional pv have been added and rootlv has been extended How can I extend /dev/shm? Best regards, Vishal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_db
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

Hello, I have rebooted the RHEL VM but after rebooting the vm it not showing all the partition mounted on OS level, if i'll execute the fdisk -l command, then i'm able to see the same disk. below is the fdisk output : # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 107.6 GB, 107639996416 bytes 255 heads, 63... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
1 Replies
timeslice(5)							File Formats Manual						      timeslice(5)

NAME
timeslice - scheduling interval in clock ticks per second VALUES
Failsafe Where defines the number of clock ticks per second for which the system is configured. Default Where is equal to Allowed values Any value in the range of is allowed. A value of indicates no timeslice based scheduling preemption, and threads will continue to run until they voluntarily switch out or higher priority threads preempt them. Recommended values Use the default value in normal cases. In special cases where quicker round robin scheduling is required, a value of may be used. How- ever, a change in value may have a direct impact on system performance. Customers must evaluate performance impact in their workload envi- ronment before changing the value on production systems. DESCRIPTION
The tunable defines the scheduling time interval that a thread may execute on a processor before the kernel scheduler will context switch out the thread for other same priority threads to run. When a thread starts executing on a processor, the thread is set up to run for the number of ticks in the tunable. On every clock interrupt that a thread is found executing, the time quantum balance for the thread is decremented, and when the balance reaches zero, the thread is context switched out. The value controls one method of user preemption that the operating system implements. A larger value will reduce preemption of running threads; however, there are other reasons for user preemption of threads, and the tunable has no control there. A change in the value may have direct impact on system throughput and response times. A very small value may result in too many context switches, and a very large value may result in the starvation of runnable threads. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at the next reboot. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? Since the tunable is globally applicable to all threads (except in the system, irrespective of their scheduling policies and priorities. Any increase in value of this tunable will give equal time quantum boost to all threads. If the system has too many context switches due to preemptions, caused by higher priority threads, you can raise the value to provide more time for lower priority threads to execute when they get scheduled, because higher priority threads will preempt the lower priority threads when they become runnable. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? Raising the value of the tunable may cause starvation of some threads, as they have to wait longer for their turn to execute. This may cause performance throughput issues. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? The tunable value should be lowered if better turnaround in response time is required at the cost of additional context switches. When the system does not have too many compute intensive applications, threads will block and preempt much more frequently without utilizing their complete time quantum. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? The lowering of the tunable will result in many more context switches which will increase the time spent in SYSTEM space and less time spent in USER space. Also, the applications that are compute intensive will suffer performance degradation. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters timeslice(5)