Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with understand shell script coding Post 302914933 by RudiC on Friday 29th of August 2014 06:28:53 AM
Old 08-29-2014
That code snippet checks if the variable type holds the string "file", if so it checks if the variable file starts with the string contained in the variable sourcefile, if so it strips what windows/DOS calls the "extension" including the dot, and then checks the length of the result; if greater or equal a defined minimum, trying (but failing) to increment the variable filecount and add the contents of the variable file to the variable filelist; if less than it logs this info somewhere.
Without way more context it's impossible to answer your question.
The connection between the variables type and file is not known, nor do I see where your *FILENAME* comes into play and what you want to achieve with it...
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Coding question for any experts out there

Given this one long stream of data (all one line): <TransactionDetail><TransactionHeader><ErrorLogging>YES</ErrorLogging><HistoryLogging>YES</HistoryLogging><ErrorDetection>NO</ErrorD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfran1972
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coding Standard For Unix Shell Scripting!!!

Is there any site on Coding Standard for Shell Scripting in UNIX. Please help me know!!!!! Thanks Om (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Omkumar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help required to understand a variable in shell script!!!

Hi, I need to understand the following script: a=`dirname $0` b=`uname -s` if ; then c=$a/../../../platforms/$b/extlib else c=`pwd`/$a/../../../platforms/$b/extlib fi There are a bunch of variable assignments going on here!!! What does this variable means: "${a:0:1}" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek2301
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Secure coding standards for Shell Programming

Hi, Can anyone point me to Secure coding standards for shell programming guides, links etc etc... Thanks and regards, Vamsi K Surampalli. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsisurampalli
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understand a old unix shell script

Hi All, I have a unix old script i but i am not able to understand the few commands in it and what it does. below is the script. if ; then for F in $(find $DIR/. ! -name . -prune -name "DP_*.dat") do IN=${F##/*/} OUT='ORD'$(echo $IN | cut -c7-) exec.ksh $IN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam786sim
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in shell script coding

I have a file f1.txt that contains string: f1.txt aaa bbb ccc ... I want to write code to search that each string in file f2.txt(this file contains 1000+line codes). file f2.txt .. .. ....aaa...xyz.. ... ... ...ppp... (dots . can be characters ot blank spaces) If particular... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanchit
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to understand shell script

Hello, Can someone please help me understand the shell script below for installing Jboss EAP 6? It is from jboss-as-standalone.sh, what does the highlighted code mean? # Load Java configuration. && . /etc/java/java.conf export JAVA_HOME Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnix
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX script coding help?

Unix script coding help? i am trying to write a code that will display following menu to user: (A) Add (B) Subtract (C) Multiply (D) Divide (E) Modulus (F) Exponentiation (G) Exit Then ask user for choice (A-F). After taking users choice ask user for two numbers and perform... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to understand the below shell script

Please help me to understand the below 3 lines of code.execute shell in jenkins 1)APP_IP=$( docker inspect --format '{{ .NetworkSettings.Networks.'"$DOCKER_NETWORK_NAME"'.IPAddress }}' ${PROJECT_NAME_KEY}"-CI" ) 2)HOST_WORKSPACE=$(echo ${WORKSPACE} | sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naresh85
1 Replies
scope(n)							    [incr Tcl]								  scope(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scope - capture the namespace context for a variable SYNOPSIS
itcl::scope name _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Creates a scoped value for the specified name, which must be a variable name. If the name is an instance variable, then the scope command returns a string of the following form: @itcl object varName This is recognized in any context as an instance variable belonging to object. So with itcl3.0 and beyond, it is possible to use instance variables in conjunction with widgets. For example, if you have an object with a private variable x, and you can use x in conjunction with the -textvariable option of an entry widget. Before itcl3.0, only common variables could be used in this manner. If the name is not an instance variable, then it must be a common variable or a global variable. In that case, the scope command returns the fully qualified name of the variable, e.g., ::foo::bar::x. If the name is not recognized as a variable, the scope command returns an error. Ordinary variable names refer to variables in the global namespace. A scoped value captures a variable name together with its namespace context in a way that allows it to be referenced properly later. It is needed, for example, to wrap up variable names when a Tk widget is used within a namespace: namespace foo { private variable mode 1 radiobutton .rb1 -text "Mode #1" -variable [scope mode] -value 1 pack .rb1 radiobutton .rb2 -text "Mode #2" -variable [scope mode] -value 2 pack .rb2 } Radiobuttons .rb1 and .rb2 interact via the variable "mode" contained in the namespace "foo". The scope command guarantees this by return- ing the fully qualified variable name ::foo::mode. You should never use the @itcl syntax directly. For example, it is a bad idea to write code like this: set {@itcl ::fred x} 3 puts "value = ${@itcl ::fred x}" Instead, you should always use the scope command to generate the variable name dynamically. Then, you can pass that name to a widget or to any other bit of code in your program. KEYWORDS
code, namespace, variable itcl scope(n)