Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX High Paging when lots of free memory AIX 5.3 Post 302914873 by DGPickett on Thursday 28th of August 2014 01:54:37 PM
Old 08-28-2014
Looking for leaks, find processes with high and growing total VM using 'ps -o vsz'. (This is on an hp-ux, but ps should work similarly on AIX.):
Code:
$ (export UNIX95=true ; ps -exo 'pid,sz,vsz,args')|(line;sort -nr +2 -3)|pg
  PID   SZ     VSZ COMMAND
 8081 18275   74692 mad -u root -g bin
15976    0   52124 xterm -T a-5 -n 5 -geometry 80x25 -fn 12x24 -sb -sl 99999 -vb -bg white -fg black
 1878 12576   51328 /appl/banktools/APPQcime/jre/bin/PA_RISC/java -Dprogram.name=../tools/start . . . org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp com.appiq.cxws.main.HpMain
 1683 5938   24052 /opt/perf/bin/scopeux
 1856 7096   22784 ./EpicCore
 4602 6810   21632 ./EpicShadow

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11. I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used. But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told. "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
1 Replies

2. AIX

How to check free/total Memory in AIX

Friends , i have a question how to check the total memomry and free memory in AIX, We have vmstat ,svmon and topas commands.Which command among the will give the true figure. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vimalbhan
6 Replies

3. AIX

High memory usage in AIX 5.1

Hi, We have AIX 5.1 machine of RAM 8 GB and paging space is 8GB. we are getting high memory usage of almost 99%.Can anybody please help in this ? Partial vmstat o/p kthr memory ----- ----------- r b avm fre 2 1 278727 1143 There is no paging issue.Becoz in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakumarrt
5 Replies

4. AIX

Free Memory in aix

Hi, I want to know how to find out free physical memory in aix, (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
11 Replies

5. Programming

How to deal with lots of data in memory in order not to run out of memory

Hi, I'm trying to learn how to manage memory when I have to deal with lots of data. Basically I'm indexing a huge file (5GB, but it can be bigger), by creating tables that holds offset <-> startOfSomeData information. Currently I'm mapping the whole file at once (yep!) but of course the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emitrax
1 Replies

6. AIX

Lots of page faults and free memory

Hello, I've been reading your forums for quite a while and the great amount of information I find here always come in hand.This time however, I need some specific help... I have a doubt with an AIX server which I'm failing to understand as I'm new to its concept of memory management... ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: flpgdt
8 Replies

7. AIX

AIX memory usage always high

hi, I want to ask , my AIX 6.1 is always used about 97% memory. Is this normal ? or any command can free up memory like Linux ? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: virusxx
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to find AIX Free Memory?

All, AIX: 6.1 64 bits How to find out Free memory available on AIX 6.1 64 bits When I used : svmon -G size inuse free pin virtual mmode memory 1048576 612109 191151 215969 549824 Ded-E pg space 4325376 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a1_win
1 Replies

9. AIX

How much total and free memory I have in my aix 5.3 server?

good morning, how I can know how much total and free memory I have in my AIX 5.3 server, and this is shown in megabytes or gigabytes? Thank you very much. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
4 Replies

10. AIX

AIX 7.1 on Power 750 is very slow with no high memory or process consumption

Hi, This thread has been posted before on linuxquestions.org, but no answer, maybe because this is unix question and not linux. I'm posting the same thread here, hope I can get an answer from someone in the meantime, I wish I could post of emergency thread but it needs bits which I don't have :... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aLuViAn
6 Replies
pkgproto(1)							   User Commands						       pkgproto(1)

NAME
pkgproto - generate prototype file entries for input to pkgmk command SYNOPSIS
pkgproto [-i] [-c class] [path1] pkgproto [-i] [-c class] [path1=path2...] DESCRIPTION
pkgproto scans the indicated paths and generates prototype(4) file entries that may be used as input to the pkgmk(1) command. If no paths are specified on the command line, standard input is assumed to be a list of paths. If the pathname listed on the command line is a directory, the contents of the directory is searched. However, if input is read from stdin, a directory specified as a pathname will not be searched. OPTIONS
-i Ignores symbolic links and records the paths as ftype=f (a file) versus ftype=s (symbolic link). -c class Maps the class of all paths to class. OPERANDS
path1 Pathname where objects are located. path2 Pathname which should be substituted on output for path1. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Examples of the use of pkgproto.1. The following two examples show uses of pkgproto and a partial listing of the output produced. Example 1: example% pkgproto /bin=bin /usr/bin=usrbin /etc=etc f none bin/sed=/bin/sed 0775 bin bin f none bin/sh=/bin/sh 0755 bin daemon f none bin/sort=/bin/sort 0755 bin bin f none usrbin/sdb=/usr/bin/sdb 0775 bin bin f none usrbin/shl=/usr/bin/shl 4755 bin bin d none etc/master.d 0755 root daemon f none etc/master.d/kernel=/etc/master.d/kernel 0644 root daemon f none etc/rc=/etc/rc 0744 root daemon Example 2: example% find / -type d -print | pkgproto d none / 755 root root d none /bin 755 bin bin d none /usr 755 root root d none /usr/bin 775 bin bin d none /etc 755 root root d none /tmp 777 root root EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkgmk(1), pkgparam(1), pkgtrans(1), prototype(4), attributes(5) Application Packaging Developer's Guide NOTES
By default, pkgproto creates symbolic link entries for any symbolic link encountered (ftype=s). When you use the -i option, pkgproto cre- ates a file entry for symbolic links (ftype=f). The prototype(4) file would have to be edited to assign such file types as v (volatile), e (editable), or x (exclusive directory). pkgproto detects linked files. If multiple files are linked together, the first path encountered is considered the source of the link. By default, pkgproto prints prototype entries on the standard output. However, the output should be saved in a file (named Prototype or prototype, for convenience) to be used as input to the pkgmk(1) command. SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 2000 pkgproto(1)