Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Need some help with lost data on external drive Post 302914787 by brianjb on Wednesday 27th of August 2014 10:03:36 PM
Old 08-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
It means what it says, it had trouble reading one (or more) of the input files, as one might exepct of a dying hard drive. But it didn't actually quit, it waited until it was done to quit with error.
Thanks.

I learned a huge lesson from this. And the ironic thing is that I was in the process to get all of my stuff backed up just in case. This was the last of those drives.

I'm trying to get more organized.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Lost Data Lost Admin

First time so excuse my ignorance please. I may not be accurately describing the issue. I have inherited a small lab mostly SUN V120s. We lost power and are trying to recover. Nope no backups... The primary issue I have is 1 box is an Oracle Server. It has 2 36Gb harddrives. I am able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphsr
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lost CDROM drive

I haven't used the cdrom (actually dvdrom) drive on my server in months. I put the dvd in the drive but can't see it. I did an: iostat -En but don't see anything that says cdrom or dvd, what could be the problem? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

3. AIX

external DDS4 Tape Drive

Hi folks, I've got a little problem concerning my external dds4 tape drive. I've got 2 rs6000 systems, one has a external dds4 tape drive attached, I want to attach the tape drive to the other rs6000 system so that i can restore data from the 1st rs6000 on to the second. Does anybody has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erik Rooijmans
3 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partitioning External Drive

I am about to set up another triple boot drive, but this one is connected to my MacBook with a USB adapter. I want to be sure that I do not overwrite data on my laptop's internal drive. This is the command I used for the internal drive, which was found in an Ubuntu forum, but the sizes were changed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacInAction
0 Replies

5. Debian

Unable to mount external drive

Trying to mount an external 160GB Toshiba drive but.... this is my dmesg tail output: usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3 usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=13fd, idProduct=1618 usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0 usb 2-2:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ridson
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Usb external drive

Hi Guys I am using RHEL5 O/S. We have mounted the usb external hard drive to the server as root. I want the user oracle to be able to write into this external hard drive. How do i do that ? Please Help!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

External hard drive

I have connected an external hard drive. I can't find it. Both ls /media, fdisk -l and ls /dev show nothing. TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to Install UNIX on an External Drive?

Hello, I'm running Windows 10, but I wish to install UNIX on an external drive and not my internal drive. Also, I'm not quite sure what UNIX to install? I also want to install the GNAT compiler so that I can also practice Ada programming. I will appreciate all help, CMN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CMN
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How i can backup data's to External Drive in Solaris 10/11?

Hello all, I'm new member and it's a very important for me. I need to backup data's from 3 server ( V880, M5000m and V490) I dont have a chance to use NFS. So i need to backup to Usb External Drive, can you help me with this issue? I dont have any experience about backup, but i need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahkel
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)