Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX High Paging when lots of free memory AIX 5.3 Post 302914763 by DGPickett on Wednesday 27th of August 2014 04:31:21 PM
Old 08-27-2014
Lots of free memory on a well warmed up server is just an indication of lots of exiting processes as part of the app. Exit frees the RAM footprinnt of the local parts of the process (heap and stack -- code is usually shared pages), bumping up free RAM until paging in eats it away. Sometimes this indicates too much shell programming, or bad shell programming, as processes are executed and discarded over and over. Sometimes these are spun off from server functions. The JAVA webserver process is probably not really freeing RAM to the OS, as free() is just putting it back in the free pool of the memory allocation arena awaiting the next malloc(), or the JAVA gc equivalent.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11. I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used. But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told. "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
1 Replies

2. AIX

How to check free/total Memory in AIX

Friends , i have a question how to check the total memomry and free memory in AIX, We have vmstat ,svmon and topas commands.Which command among the will give the true figure. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vimalbhan
6 Replies

3. AIX

High memory usage in AIX 5.1

Hi, We have AIX 5.1 machine of RAM 8 GB and paging space is 8GB. we are getting high memory usage of almost 99%.Can anybody please help in this ? Partial vmstat o/p kthr memory ----- ----------- r b avm fre 2 1 278727 1143 There is no paging issue.Becoz in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakumarrt
5 Replies

4. AIX

Free Memory in aix

Hi, I want to know how to find out free physical memory in aix, (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
11 Replies

5. Programming

How to deal with lots of data in memory in order not to run out of memory

Hi, I'm trying to learn how to manage memory when I have to deal with lots of data. Basically I'm indexing a huge file (5GB, but it can be bigger), by creating tables that holds offset <-> startOfSomeData information. Currently I'm mapping the whole file at once (yep!) but of course the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emitrax
1 Replies

6. AIX

Lots of page faults and free memory

Hello, I've been reading your forums for quite a while and the great amount of information I find here always come in hand.This time however, I need some specific help... I have a doubt with an AIX server which I'm failing to understand as I'm new to its concept of memory management... ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: flpgdt
8 Replies

7. AIX

AIX memory usage always high

hi, I want to ask , my AIX 6.1 is always used about 97% memory. Is this normal ? or any command can free up memory like Linux ? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: virusxx
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to find AIX Free Memory?

All, AIX: 6.1 64 bits How to find out Free memory available on AIX 6.1 64 bits When I used : svmon -G size inuse free pin virtual mmode memory 1048576 612109 191151 215969 549824 Ded-E pg space 4325376 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a1_win
1 Replies

9. AIX

How much total and free memory I have in my aix 5.3 server?

good morning, how I can know how much total and free memory I have in my AIX 5.3 server, and this is shown in megabytes or gigabytes? Thank you very much. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
4 Replies

10. AIX

AIX 7.1 on Power 750 is very slow with no high memory or process consumption

Hi, This thread has been posted before on linuxquestions.org, but no answer, maybe because this is unix question and not linux. I'm posting the same thread here, hope I can get an answer from someone in the meantime, I wish I could post of emergency thread but it needs bits which I don't have :... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aLuViAn
6 Replies
MLOCK(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  MLOCK(2)

NAME
mlock - disable paging for some parts of memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int mlock(const void *addr, size_t len); DESCRIPTION
mlock disables paging for the memory in the range starting at addr with length len bytes. All pages which contain a part of the specified memory range are guaranteed be resident in RAM when the mlock system call returns successfully and they are guaranteed to stay in RAM until the pages are unlocked by munlock or munlockall, until the pages are unmapped via munmap, or until the process terminates or starts another program with exec. Child processes do not inherit page locks across a fork. Memory locking has two main applications: real-time algorithms and high-security data processing. Real-time applications require determin- istic timing, and, like scheduling, paging is one major cause of unexpected program execution delays. Real-time applications will usually also switch to a real-time scheduler with sched_setscheduler. Cryptographic security software often handles critical bytes like passwords or secret keys as data structures. As a result of paging, these secrets could be transfered onto a persistent swap store medium, where they might be accessible to the enemy long after the security software has erased the secrets in RAM and terminated. Memory locks do not stack, i.e., pages which have been locked several times by calls to mlock or mlockall will be unlocked by a single call to munlock for the corresponding range or by munlockall. Pages which are mapped to several locations or by several processes stay locked into RAM as long as they are locked at least at one location or by at least one process. On POSIX systems on which mlock and munlock are available, _POSIX_MEMLOCK_RANGE is defined in <unistd.h> and the value PAGESIZE from <lim- its.h> indicates the number of bytes per page. NOTES
With the Linux system call, addr is automatically rounded down to the nearest page boundary. However, POSIX 1003.1-2001 allows an imple- mentation to require that addr is page aligned, so portable applications should ensure this. RETURN VALUE
On success, mlock returns zero. On error, -1 is returned, errno is set appropriately, and no changes are made to any locks in the address space of the process. ERRORS
ENOMEM Some of the specified address range does not correspond to mapped pages in the address space of the process or the process tried to exceed the maximum number of allowed locked pages. EPERM The calling process does not have appropriate privileges. Only root processes are allowed to lock pages. EINVAL len was not a positive number. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1b, SVr4. SVr4 documents an additional EAGAIN error code. SEE ALSO
mlockall(2), munlock(2), munlockall(2), munmap(2), setrlimit(2) Linux 1.3.43 1995-11-26 MLOCK(2)