Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alter Fixed Width File
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Alter Fixed Width File Post 302914607 by SriniShoo on Wednesday 27th of August 2014 01:27:04 AM
Old 08-27-2014
Code:
awk '{f1=substr($0,0,97); f2=substr($0,98,15); f3=substr($0,113); f2 = (f2 ~ /-/) ? "000000000000000" : f2; print f1 f2 f3}' InputFile

This User Gave Thanks to SriniShoo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fixed Width file using AWK

I am using the following command at the Unix prompt to make my 'infile' into a fixed width file of 100 characters. awk '{printf "%-100s\n",$0}' infile > outfile However, there are some records with a special character "©" These records are using 3 characters in place of one and my record... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok.benjwal
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding delimiter to a fixed width file

Hi , I have a file : CSCH74000.00 CSCH74000.00 CSCH74100.00 CSCH74000.00 CSCH74100.00 CSCH74000.00 CSCH74000.00 CSCH74100.00 CSCH74100.00 CSCH74100.00 I have to put a delimiter( say comma) in between after 6th character: CSCH74,000.00 CSCH74,000.00 CSCH74,100.00 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing particular field in fixed width file

I have a fixed width file and i need to change 36th field to "G" in for about random 20 records? How can I do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
4 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help with Fixed width File Parsing

I am trying to parse a Fixed width file with data as below. I am trying to assign column values from each record to variables. When I parse the data, the spaces in all coumns are dropped. I would like to retain the spaces as part of the dat stored in the variables. Any help is appreciated. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sate911
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

summing up the fields in fixed width file

Hi, I have a fixed width file with some records as given below: " 1000Nalsdjflj243324jljlj" "-0300Njfowjljl309933fsf" " 0010Njsfsjklj342344fsl" I want to sum-up first field values(i.e from 2nd character to 6th character)of each record. so for the above file i want to add (1000 - 300+... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed-Width file from Oracle

Hi All, I have created a script which generates FIXED-WIDTH file by executing Oracle query. SELECT RPAD(NVL(col1,CHR(9)),20)||NVL(col2,CHR(9))||NVL(col3,CHR(9) FROM XYZ It generates the data file with proper alignment. But if same file i transfer to windows server or Mainframe... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manupulating Records in a fixed width file

I am trying to determine what would be a fast and simple way to manipulate data that comes in a fixed width format. This data has 6 segments within a record. Each record needs to written out with a header and the 6 segments. Based on the value in column #6 the fields will be defined accordingly.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muga801
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two fixed width file

Hi Guys I am checking the treads to get the answer but i am not able to get the answer for my question. I have two files. First file is a pattern file and the second file is the file i want to search in it. Output will be the lines from file2. File1: P2797f12af 44751228... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshul_er
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To replace the value of the column in a fixed width file

I have a fixed with file with header & trailer length having the same length of the detail record file. The details record length of this file is 24, for Header and Trailer the records will be padded with spaces to match the record length of the file Currently I am adding 3 spaces in header... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
14 Replies
bytes(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 bytes(3pm)