Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Renaming Multiple Files by removing characters Post 302914414 by pchegoor on Monday 25th of August 2014 06:54:28 PM
Old 08-25-2014
Renaming Multiple Files by removing characters

Hi

I would like to rename Multiple files in a Unix Directory using Ksh Command.

Eg ATT8-2011-10-01 00:00:00-MSA-IMM-SINGLE_AND_FAMILY_COVERAGE-DED-$2000-X114817.PDF

needs to be renamed as

ATT8-2011-10-01-MSA-IMM-SINGLE_AND_FAMILY_COVERAGE-DED-$2000-X114817.PDF

Basically the time portion which is always 00:00:00 needs to be stripped off and the space between the date and the next hyphen symbol (-) needs to be compressed.

Any ideas as to how to this ? Assuming they are about 3000 files in the directory.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 08-25-2014 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: Add ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming multiple files

Hi to everyone!!. Here's my stupid question of the day. When I have to rename a file I use "mv filename newfilename". But what about renaming multiple files, for example if I want to add the prefix "old" to several image files (in fact it's what I wanted to do..). Thanks in advance.... :D (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

Can someone please tell me how I can rename a bunch of files at a time. I hava a directory that has 700+ files that are named *.xyz and I would like to rename them to *.abc . How can I do that with a simple command ? mv *.xyz *.abc did not work. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

Help! I was trying to rename multiple files. Like in DOS, i decided to use wildcards and now i am missing some files. Any ideas on how to recover them? Or find out where the files went? I had these 3 files resume1.log elecresume.log compresume.log The command I ran was mv *.log *.log.bak... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmayur
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

hi, I've a machine running RHEL3,kernel version 2.4. i need to rename multiple files under one directory as follows: ls demo.c demo.S demo-1243.sw demo.xyz and now i need to replace the occurrence of demo with demo_1 for each of the above file. the tedious way is to go ahead and do mv on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing prefix from multiple files and renaming file extension

Hello i have the files in this format pdb1i0t.ent pdb1lv7.ent pdb1pp6.ent pdb1tj2.ent pdb1xg2.ent pdb2b4b.ent pdb2ewe.ent Now i have to remove the prefix pdb from all the files and also i need to change the extension of .ent to .txt The new file should look like this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming multiple files

I have to rename 100+ files at a time on the server & was trying to use a script for doing that. I have used ultra edit to create a file having current filename & new file name as below file234.txt | file956.txt file687.txt | file385.txt There is no fixed pattern while renaming & would... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: crux123
20 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

Hi, Can we rename multiples files using find or awk utility? Now I am doing it using for loop and getting the file name and in side the loop using the mv command. Like ine need t rename all txt files to doc file. For example a1.txt => a1.doc a2.txt => a2.doc a3.txt => a3.doc myfile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Help..Renaming Quoted files removing the timestamp

Hi all, i am new to this forum, unix and shell scripting. I would really appreciate if you all can help me here.. I have files coming in the below format 'filename20513'13May06:03:45 filename are characters.. like 'ABDDUT20513'13May06:03:45 i need it to be renamed as... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: khman
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing characters from beginning of multiple files

Hi, I have been searching how to do this but I can't seem to find how to do it. Hopefully someone can help. I have multiplr files, 100's example 12345-zxys.213423.zyz.txt. I want to be able to take all these files and remove the first '12345-' from each of the files. '12345-' these characters... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: israr75
5 Replies
Image::ExifTool::PDF(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Image::ExifTool::PDF(3pm)

NAME
Image::ExifTool::PDF - Read PDF meta information SYNOPSIS
This module is loaded automatically by Image::ExifTool when required. DESCRIPTION
This code reads meta information from PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format) files. It supports object streams introduced in PDF-1.5 but only with a limited set of Filter and Predictor algorithms, however all standard encryption methods through PDF-1.7 extension level 3 are supported, including AESV2 (AES-128) and AESV3 (AES-256). AUTHOR
Copyright 2003-2011, Phil Harvey (phil at owl.phy.queensu.ca) This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. REFERENCES
<http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/pdf/index_reference.html> Crypt::RC4 <http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf> <http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/pdf/pdfs/adobe_supplement_iso32000.pdf> <http://tools.ietf.org/search/rfc3454> <http://www.armware.dk/RFC/rfc/rfc4013.html> SEE ALSO
"PDF Tags" in Image::ExifTool::TagNames, Image::ExifTool(3pm) perl v5.12.4 2011-03-10 Image::ExifTool::PDF(3pm)