Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Confusion with ++ operator
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Confusion with ++ operator Post 302914256 by fpmurphy on Saturday 23rd of August 2014 10:06:39 PM
Old 08-23-2014
My understanding is that * and ++expr operators have the same precedence in the C language but that ++exprs are always evaluated before any *.

Thus
Code:
i=5
(++i) * (++i)

gives 49 with both gcc and g++

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp confusion

I'm an intern at a company that recently bought out another business. In doing so, they inherited a unix system that contains files which they need to retrieve. No one in the company, including myself, really understands or knows unix so please respond with the true assumption that I'm a unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intern
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wc command confusion

Can somebody explain it to me that why wc gives more chars suppose Ab.txt have two lines qwer qasd then wc -c ab.txt will give 10.why not 8.okay may be it is taking count one for each line just in case but why echo "qwer"|wc -C gives 5. Ok with \c it is returning 4. :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhruva
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed confusion

Hello all, I am trying to delete all the lines in a particular file having a pattern. The problem is that it has special characters and for some reason is not doing the job. For eg. src_file /home/test/filelist.txt :xxxx:ogog /home/test/RCH/ogogogg /home/test/RYHUJ/HHHH... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'tr' confusion

Good day, everyone! Could anybody explain me the following situation. If I'm running similar script: Var="anna.kurnikova" Var2="Anna Kurn" echo $Var | tr -t "$Var" "$Var2" Why the output is : anna KurniKova instead of Anna Kurnikova? :confused: Thank you in advance for any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nafanja
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab confusion

I come across an entry in cron which is in such: 0 * * * * What is the first 0 indicating? 0 minute? meaning a script cron as such will run every minute? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user50210
2 Replies

6. Programming

const_cast confusion

See code below. It appears that i and j inhabit the same address yet hold different values. Can anyone shed light on this? int main() { const int i= 3; int* j = const_cast<int*>(&i); *j = 5; cout << j << endl << &i << endl; cout << *j << endl << i; } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: StuartH
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion with PS

Hello All, I have a problem in counting number of process getting run with my current script name.. Here it is ps -ef | grep $0 | grep -v grep This display just one line with the PID, PPID and other details when i print it in the script. But when I want to count the numbers in my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion in hash

Hi folks, If a declare a direct hash , then the hash element works fine. my %test = ("test",1); print %test; print "\n"; Here in the above, the name of the hash is predeclared... Suppose now I need to create the hash elements dynamically in the for loop. $test="hash"; my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion with the concept of wc -c and wc -m

Is wc -c and wc -m same ? Shellscript::cat file1 hello Shellscript::cat file1 | wc -c 6 Shellscript::cat file1 | wc -m 6 Shellscript::file file1 file1: ASCII text Shellscript::uname -a Linux was85host 2.6.27.45-0.1-vmi #1 SMP 2010-02-22 16:49:47 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/LinuxAtleast... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripting
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If then statement confusion

#!/bin/bash PH=(KD 6S TC 3D) #playerhand TCIP=(AH) #topcard in play A=( "${TCIP::1}" ) # A B=( "${TCIP:1}" ) # H C=8 for e in ${PH}; do if ]; then echo "$e " >> /home/cogiz/validcards.txt else echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cogiz
1 Replies
EV(1)							      General Commands Manual							     EV(1)

NAME
ev - evaluate expressions SYNOPSIS
ev 'expr' .. DESCRIPTION
Ev evaluates expressions given on the command line, and sends the results to the standard output, one per line. An expression contains real numbers, function calls, and the following operators: + - * / ^ Operators are evaluated left to right, except '^', which is right associative. Powers have the highest precedence; multiplication and division are evaluated before addition and subtraction. Expressions can be grouped with parentheses. All values are double precision real. The following library of functions is available: if(cond, then, else) if cond is greater than zero, then is evaluated, otherwise else is evaluated. select(N, a1, a2, ..) return aN (N is rounded to the nearest integer). If N is zero, the number of available arguments is returned. rand(x) compute a random number between 0 and 1 based on x. floor(x) return largest integer not greater than x. ceil(x) return smallest integer not less than x. sqrt(x) return square root of x. exp(x) compute e to the power of x (e approx = 2.718281828). log(x) compute the logarithm of x to the base e. log10(x) compute the logarithm of x to the base 10. sin(x), cos(x), tan(x) trigonometric functions. asin(x), acos(x), atan(x) inverse trigonometric functions. atan2(y, x) inverse tangent of y/x (range -pi to pi). EXAMPLE
To pass the square root of two and the sine of .5 to a program: program `ev 'sqrt(2)' 'sin(.5)'` AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
icalc(1), rcalc(1) RADIANCE
10/28/96 EV(1)