Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rm -rf file.txt~ included in the first step? Post 302914251 by 1in10 on Saturday 23rd of August 2014 06:59:38 PM
Old 08-23-2014
Rm -rf file.txt~ included in the first step?

I need to shred and delete a file after a certain time. Therefore I use
Code:
shred -z /path/to/file.txt | rm -rf /path/to/file.txt

It works well, but typing
in that very directory
Code:
ls -shi

I still see the so called backup-copy lets say file.txt~
When running bleachbit it will disappear thoroughly. So how can I include in my two commands to erase even the backup-copy?
It is a non-interactive script, using debian wheezy. Any hints? Thanks in advance, still using twice that chain of the commands, but there should be a better solution, maybe.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

install of sco unix step by step

HI I am new to unix and need to install sco unix on a new server - could anybody help me with the steps I need to take - the hd is a 9gb scsi drive (pretty old machine) Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: porikamu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Step by step Installation of Unix SCO 2.1

I am new to unix and server at my job crashed due to hardware problem. I'm now opted to install sco unix on a new server - could anybody help me with the steps I need to take (pretty old machine) Thanks & Regards Nancy :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nensee7
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

works step by step on command line but not in script

Hi all, The following script is fine when I work via command line m=1 c=0 while do echo $m gnokii --getsms IN $m > out.txt; m=`expr $m + 1`; cat out.txt >> message_log; ############ read first crap< <(sed -n '/Text:/{n;p;}' out.txt); read message< <(sed -n '/Text:/{n;p;}'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whamchaxed
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Step by step to replace Failed disk

Hi all. This may be a stupid question but here goes: I lost a disk on my Sun-Fire 480-r and want to replace it. I don't care about the data, I just need to get a new disk in. Can anyone supply me with step by step procedure please. I am not an expert by any means and it is a dev box so I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
1 Replies

5. Linux

May you explain step by step where and how I will add pseudo code

Thank all of you. May you explain step by step where and how I will add pseudo code Note : I have Linux 2.6.24-26-server on x86_64 dears kindly help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nonowa
3 Replies

6. Solaris

step step apache2 configuration doc

Hi Guys, does anyone know of a step by step guide on how configure apache2 web server in solaris 10? I will really appreciate it. Thanks a lot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Slowly Removing Bold Font Style - Step-by-Step

FYI, I'm slowly removing a lot of the bold font-styles from titles of discussions, forum titles, etc I'm not removing bold for the entire site because we do need bold from time to time, especially in posts and sometimes in other places. However, the original forum style had way too much... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies
SHRED(1)								FSF								  SHRED(1)

NAME
shred - delete a file securely, first overwriting it to hide its contents SYNOPSIS
shred [OPTIONS] FILE [...] DESCRIPTION
Overwrite the specified FILE(s) repeatedly, in order to make it harder for even very expensive hardware probing to recover the data. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -f, --force change permissions to allow writing if necessary -n, --iterations=N Overwrite N times instead of the default (25) -s, --size=N shred this many bytes (suffixes like K, M, G accepted) -u, --remove truncate and remove file after overwriting -v, --verbose show progress -x, --exact do not round file sizes up to the next full block -z, --zero add a final overwrite with zeros to hide shredding - shred standard output --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Delete FILE(s) if --remove (-u) is specified. The default is not to remove the files because it is common to operate on device files like /dev/hda, and those files usually should not be removed. When operating on regular files, most people use the --remove option. CAUTION: Note that shred relies on a very important assumption: that the filesystem overwrites data in place. This is the traditional way to do things, but many modern filesystem designs do not satisfy this assumption. The following are examples of filesystems on which shred is not effective: * log-structured or journaled filesystems, such as those supplied with AIX and Solaris (and JFS, ReiserFS, XFS, Ext3, etc.) * filesystems that write redundant data and carry on even if some writes fail, such as RAID-based filesystems * filesystems that make snapshots, such as Network Appliance's NFS server * filesystems that cache in temporary locations, such as NFS version 3 clients * compressed filesystems In addition, file system backups and remote mirrors may contain copies of the file that cannot be removed, and that will allow a shredded file to be recovered later. AUTHOR
Written by Colin Plumb. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for shred is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and shred programs are properly installed at your site, the command info shred should give you access to the complete manual. shred (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 SHRED(1)