Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Geographical distance between long and lat in bash Post 302914058 by Perderabo on Thursday 21st of August 2014 02:50:22 PM
Old 08-21-2014
The formula to compute the distance between a pair of latitude-longitude coordinates is actually rather complex. A simplified version is on this page.

**edit**
Actually, that doesn't look right. Earth's radius is more like 4000 miles. Your milage may vary. Smilie

** another edit **
I see what's happening.
Earth radius is:
3443 statute miles
3963 nautical miles
Make sure you don't confuse the two. Nautical miles would be the unit most likely used in a calculation like this.

Last edited by Perderabo; 08-21-2014 at 04:10 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lat/Long Distance Calculation

I amtrying to write a script that would compute the distance between an "x" number of points. This is what I have come up with so far and it is not working. Can anyone modify it to make it work? A=34.16597 B=-84.33244 C=34.2344 D=-84.29189 test "$A" -eq "$C" -o "$B" -eq "$D" then echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Long Distance UNIX (Solaris) Cloning ?

Need some advice and guidance for this UNIX beginner. Due to downsizing I have inherited the SysAdmin duties..(sigh). Please excuse and forgive me if I use the wrong terms below.... Situation: We have UNIX ( Solaris 7/8/9( it varies) on Sun Ultra 10's) servers located at several global... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HikerLT
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the geographical location within a shell script

Hi, I need a shell script that when run should be able to find the geographical location of the system. can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Sundeep (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

4. Programming

Converting distance list to distance matrix in R

Hi power user, I have this type of data (distance list): file1 A B 10 B C 20 C D 50I want output like this # A B C D A 0 10 30 80 B 10 0 20 70 C 30 20 0 50 D 80 70 50 0 Which is a distance matrix I have tried... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjas
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate distance and azimuth

Hi all, I have a data file like this lat lon lat lon 12.000 25.125 14.235 25.012 14.200 81.000 25.584 25.014 45.023 25.365 25.152 35.222 I want to calculate distance and azimuth between this points eg:- 12.000,25.125 and 14.235,25.012 I want to use awk programming... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chamara
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating distance between two LAT long coordinates

hi, i have a pair of latitude and longitude and i want to calculate the distance between these two points. In vbscript i achieved in the following way...Now i want to implement this in unix shell scripting.... <% Dim lat1, lon1, lat2, lon2 const pi = 3.14159265358979323846 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding distance between numbers

Hi, I have a file as ABC 1634230,1634284,1634349,1634468 1634272,1634301,1634356,1634534 What I want is to find distance between the numbers.. column 1 is the gene name and column 2 are starts and column 3 are their respective stops for the starts. So what I want is column 3 which has +1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Geographical location details of a server

Is there a way to find geographical location details of a server in shell scripting ? Say, which region server is located at etc. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blp_18
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash does not wrap long lines correctly

Ksh is my default shell, but I want use the bash shell since its convenient to me. When I type a long command line in a terminal, it does not wrap to the next line when I reach the end of the line and it wraps onto the same line, overwriting my prompt and the rest of what I typed. $... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
5 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)