Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Storing the value of a single query to a Variable - What am i doing wrong? Post 302913942 by SriRamKrish on Thursday 21st of August 2014 12:31:24 AM
Old 08-21-2014
Many thanks for all replies folks.

But i finally figured out what was wrong. The correct code is :

Code:

#!/bin/ksh
testvar=$(
sqlplus $user/$pass << EOF 
set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off;
whenever sqlerror exit 1
SELECT 1+1 FROM DUAl;
COMMIT;
EXIT;
EOF)
echo "testvar=$testvar"

I should have enclosed the
Code:
$testvar

in double quotes, as in
Code:
"$testvar"

Again many thanks for all the inputs.

Cheers.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing database query in a variable

I am executing a SQL query in Unix Server: select status,location from user_information where request_id='DS-43720' In shell script I am writing this query in the below manner: echo "select status,location from user_information where request_id='DS-43720' ;" >> $directory/info.sql ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing a variable?

I'm writing a bash shell script to backup several mysql databases. This script will run on a daily basis and send a copy to a remote FTP repository. The filenames are in the format DATE.backup.sql. How do I store the DATE variable so I can delete/move/etc the file on the FTP server the next time... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoover90
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while storing sql query value in a variable

Hi, When i execute the below statement , the value is not getting stored in the variable. AnneeExercice=`sqlplus $LOGSQL/$PASSWORDSQL << FIN >> $GEMOLOG/gemo_reprev_reel_data_ventil_$filiale.trc SELECT bi09exercice FROM bi09_scenario WHERE bi09idfiliale=UPPER('de') AND ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing value in a variable

Hi Everyone, I have a code which requires to be stored in different variables and I am achiving it like this. HOST=`echo $RMP | cut -f2 -d:` NAME=`echo $RMP | cut -f3 -d:` DIR=`echo $RMP | cut -f4 -d:` TYPE=`echo $RMP | cut -f5 -d:` Is there any other way of storing value... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

add the output of a query to a variable to be used in another query

I would like to use the result of a query in another query. How do I redirect/add the output to another variable? $result = odbc_exec($connect, $query); while ($row = odbc_fetch_array($result)) { echo $row,"\n"; } odbc_close($connect); ?> This will output hostnames: host1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

About storing the value of wc -l into a variable and then using this value in while

Hi all, I m new to this forum. I ma facing onei issue. I have something like this: length= wc -l < b2| awk '{print $1}' where b2 is filename having detauls like: cat b2 abc1 abc4 xyc3 sbdghf4 but when I do echo "$length" it displays nothing Also I am using awk to overcome... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: student2009
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl storing single value from file

Hi, I have a configuration file that contains one word that I want to store as a variable to use later in my perl program. i.e. #cat /opt/dti/ssh_user root I want to store root as a variable in perl. In bash I would do this as user=$(cat /opt/dti/ssh_user) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash assign mysql query single field to variable

I'm running a bash script query and assigning the output to a variable like this: exists=`mysql -u $USER_NAME --password=$PASSWORD -D "somedb" \ -e "SELECT * FROM somedb.sometable WHERE field1 ='$a' \ AND field2 ='$b' LIMIT 0 , 30";` which returns something like: echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with storing oracle sqlplus query output shell script

Hello everyone, I have a RHEL 5 system and have been trying to get a batch of 3-4 scripts each in a separate variables and they are not working as expected. I tried using following syntax which I saw a lot of people on this site use and should really work, though for some reason it doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies
let(1)								   User Commands							    let(1)

NAME
let - shell built-in function to evaluate one or more arithmetic expressions SYNOPSIS
ksh let arg... ksh93 let [expr...] DESCRIPTION
ksh Each arg is a separate arithmetic expression to be evaluated. ksh93 let evaluates each expr in the current shell environment as an arithmetic expression using ANSI C syntax. Variables names are shell vari- ables and they are recursively evaluated as arithmetic expressions to get numerical values. let has been made obsolete by the ((...)) syn- tax of ksh93(1) which does not require quoting of the operators to pass them as command arguments. EXIT STATUS
ksh ksh returns the following exit values: 0 The value of the last expression is non-zero. 1 The value of the last expression is zero. ksh93 ksh93 returns the following exit values: 0 The last expr evaluates to a non-zero value. >0 The last expr evaluates to 0 or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), ksh93(1), set(1), typeset(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Nov 2007 let(1)