Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX SP update and Oracle interaction Post 302913925 by allenhibbert on Wednesday 20th of August 2014 07:06:00 PM
Old 08-20-2014
ibmtech, thank you for the reply. I like the alternative disk suggestion. I'll look into that

Sorry, my steps are a bit sparse. I'll give a bit more detail for my item of 'Apply SP9 update'.

mksysb is the backout plan

I always do the following before applying the update:
If any of these checks reveal something amiss, it is corrected before proceeding:-
  • Check available space for the mksysb and update processing
  • check exclude.rootvg
  • generate the mksysb - smitty mksysb
  • verify the mksysb - lsmksysb -f
  • oslevel -s
  • instfix -i|grep ML
  • installp -C
  • lppchk -v
  • installp -s
  • installp -c all if some packages are not committed
  • emgr -P to determine if there are any efixes which may cause a conflict
  • If a DB server, ps -ef|grep smon and agent to verify the DBs are down
  • I run the update from a NIM - smitty nim, using the preview only option
  • If all looks good, then I proceed with the actual update, access the system, redo all the pre checks to confirm current status, shutdown -Fr, redo all the checks again to ensure it all came up healthy

I do have the DBA team verify the oracle version is compatible with the intended OS update. I also read up to determine myself.

I'm curious if applying the SP while the databases are still up would cause issues. The oracle is 11G, on AIX 7 TL1 SP9. I'd try it in a test area, if I could.

Last edited by rbatte1; 08-21-2014 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: Set as LIST with ICODE tags round commands

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

update a oracle table using shell script

Hi, I would like to know how to update a table in Oracle database, if a command in one shell script either successfully completes or it fails.(like Y if its success or N if its a failure) While the command is running,I am able to view the log file created in the Unix machine.After the command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ann_124
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix script for update or insert records from a file to a oracle table

Hi, I have delimited file(|). Sample data: 1|name|50009|DS24|0|12 2|name|30009|DS24|0|13 3|name|20409|DS24|0|14 4|name|20009|DS24|0|15 5|name|10009|DS24|0|16 I want to load this data into a oracle table (update and insert) Please help me the commands and also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unihp1
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

oracle update not working

Hi, I have a oracle source with a field my_date =06/02/2009 I am trying to update the table to SYSDATE with a myscript.sql where I have UPDATE table set my_date=to_DATE(SYSDATE,'MM/DD/YYYY'); Now I try to run it with myupdate.SH script where I have sqlplus nolog @myscript.sql ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to update a Oracle table through shell scripting?

My Code is get_week_date() { `sqlplus -s ${DQM_SQL_LOGON}@${DQM_SID} << EOF SET ECHO OFF SET FEEDBACK OFF SET PAGES 0 SET SERVEROUTPUT ON SET VERIFY OFF SET TRIMSPOOL ON (update file_level_qc fq set FQ.DATA_FILE_NAME='Hyvee_Pharmacy_Solutions_201304_v1.txt'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick.cho
2 Replies