Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use ls with pattern and including path? Post 302913923 by Corona688 on Wednesday 20th of August 2014 06:56:09 PM
Old 08-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophiuchus
Hello wisecraker,

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I'm entering without *abc*.txt. I've tried in cygwin and it works, only in the other system prints
others files that not begin with abc. Maybe an issue with the ls of that system.
I repeat:

It has NOTHING to do with ls.

Absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Using * in that fashion is a property of the shell.

One weird property of Cygwin though -- it has case insensitive filenames, because Windows does, it's unavoidable. Any decent UNIX or UNIX-like has case-sensitive filenames, and will be more picky.

In short, if you don't want to match *abc*, don't use *abc*.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a path (including ref to shell variable) from file

Hi! 1. I have a parameter file containing path to log files. For this example both paths are the same, one is stated directly and the second using env variables. /oracle/admin/orcl/bdump/:atlas:trc:N ${ORACLE_BASE}/admin/${ORACLE_SID}/bdump/:${ORACLE_SID}:trc:N 2. I try to parse the path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lojzev
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Find start of pattern and extract text to end of line, including the pattern

This is my first post, please be nice. I have tried to google and read different tutorials. The task at hand is: Input file input.txt (example) abc123defhij-E-1234jslo 456ujs-W-abXjklp From this file the task is to grep the -E- and -W- strings that are unique and write a new file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestTomas
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for Pattern and Print including Lines in between

Gurus, I have a big file that needs to be sorted out and I cant figure out what to do. The file name is as below: Name: xxxx yyyy nnnn Description: dfffgs sdgsgsf hsfhhs afgghhjdgj fjklllll gsfhfh Updated: jafgadsgg gsg Corrected: date today The file consists of line like these. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove contents including the tag if pattern matches

Hi all, Can anyone help me on this. I have several WP sites that are affected by sql injections. But the contents are different as follows western union india belgaum western union india bolegaon western union india barhaj western union india budhana western union india belda western... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjuabraham
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file and zip without including directory path

Does anyone know of a way to zip the resulting file from a find command? My approach below finds the file and zips the entire directory path, which is not what I need. After scanning the web, it seems to be much easier to perform gzip, but unfortunately the approach must use zip. find `$DIR`... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koeji
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Including EOL in egrep pattern for multiple lines

Hi all I need your help to get a high-performance solution. I am working on a extensive script to automate file restores using the bprestore tool on a Solaris 5.10 server (bash 3.00). I will only paste the needed parts of the script to avoid any confusion. To use the script the user has to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anonym
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match a path anywhere in the line and replace it with new path

I want to pattern match only path part from below and replace them with new path string. LoadModule jk_module /fldrA/fldrBaf/fldrCaa/modules/mod_jk.so JkWorkersFile /fldrA/fldrBaf/fldrCaa/config/OHS/ohs1/workers.properties JkLogFile... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace the path value in files, pattern is not full known.

Hi, I need to do find and replace, but the pattern is not full known. for example, my file has /proj/app-d1/sun or /data/site-d1/conf here app-d1 and site-d1 is not constant. It may be different in different files. common part is /proj/xx/sun and /data/xxx/conf i want to find where ever... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comment all lines which are not already commented for each full path pattern matched

Hello. Question 1 : I want to comment out all lines of a cron file which are not already commented out for each full path pattern matched. Example 1 nothing to do because line is already commented out; pattern = '/usr/bin/munin-cron' # */5 * * * * munin test -x... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a pattern including any whitespace before it and after it

Hello. A_LIGNE="cnezJ,V ,FMZ fd,Mok CODKJ,F SOME_WORD fcnQ, VMQKV Q" A_PATTERN="SOME_WORD" sed 's/'$A_PATTERN'//g' <<< "$A_LINE"will remove 'SOME_WORD' and give : "cnezJ,V ,FMZ fd,Mok CODKJ,F fcnQ, VMQKV Q"A_PATTERN="SOME_WORD]" sed 's/'$A_PATTERN'//g' <<< "$A_LINE"will remove... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)