Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script - cygwin (powershell?) pull from GitHub API Parse JSON Post 302913917 by ChocoTaco on Wednesday 20th of August 2014 06:16:27 PM
Old 08-20-2014
Bash script - cygwin (powershell?) pull from GitHub API Parse JSON

All,

Have a weird issue where i need to generate a report from GitHub monthly detailing user accounts and the last time they logged in. I'm using a windows box to do this (work issued) and would like to know if anyone has any experience scripting for GitAPI using windows / cygwin / powershell?

I would normally curl for the stuff i wanted and use jsawk to parse the returned JSON, but that's not working (and i don't see an option to add jsawk to Cygwin) so i'm at a loss: Any help greatly appreciated.

Edit: thought i would add that the code block below is working except for the 'jsawk' operation. I was just including that as an example of how i would do this in a real terminal.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
IFS_bak=$IFS
IFS=$'\r\n'
uid='xxxxxxx'
GH_OAUTH='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
curl -i --silent https://api.github.com:443/orgs/xxxxxxxxxxx/repos?access_token=$GH_OAUTH
for RepoLine in `curl --silent https://api.github.com:443/orgs/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/repos?access_token=$GH_OAUTH | _
  jsawk -n 'out(this.name)'`
do 
   RepoName=$(echo $RepoLine | awk -F" : " '{ print $1 }')
curl -i --silent https://api.github.com/repos/xxxxxxxxxxxx/$RepoName/teams?access_token=$GH_OAUTH

Last edited by ChocoTaco; 08-20-2014 at 07:23 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use cygwin to run bash script

Hi, all, I try to run a quite simple bash script mytest.sh in cygwin, it's content is: #!/bin/bash echo "It is my first bash shell" there are three lines in the script. The second line is blank line. When I run it use command: bash c:/mytest.sh, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jenny.palmy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell / bash / script api ?

Hi is there a good dokumentation for shell scripting ? like the api in java ? didnt find a good one yet (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Turrican
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GitHub documentation :: GitHub for dummies

Hi I wish to "develop" for brew. It is hosted on GitHub. What book (or online documentation) do you recommend me for GitHub and/or Git? Prefer small physical book. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start powershell with shebang from windows/cygwin/bash?

I would like to the the windws8/cygwin/bash shebang feature to start a powershell script. I do a "chmod +x set-sound.ps1" and then at a bash prompt I do ./set-sound.ps1 The first line of ./set-sound.ps1 #!powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy unrestricted The result is the result: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable in a BASH script by using a JSON file online?

Hello, I would like to modify an existing script of mine that uses a manually defined "MCVERSION" variable and make it define that variable instead based on this JSON file stored online: https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/versions.json Within that JSON, I 'm looking for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script to pull ipa server name on 500 servers

Hello All, I need help writing a bash script that will run on 500 LINUX servers and do the following: 1. Capture the ipa_server name from /etc/sssd/sssd.conf on a list of 500 servers in the ipahosts file. 2. Write to a file outputing only server name and IPA server name. Root ssh keys... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtowntechy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing and Editing a json file with bash script

I am trying to automate editing of a json file using bash script. The file I initially receive is { "appMap": { "URL1": { "name": "a" }, "URL2": { "name": "b" }, "URL3": { "name": "c" }, } WHat I would like to do is replace... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running Powershell Script from Linux through Cygwin

Hello Experts, I am creating a run time powershell script on Linux machine and copying that powershell script to Windows machine. To connect to windows through "ssh", I am using Cygwin tool. To make the connection password less I copied my public in authorized_keys in windows Administrator... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building JSON command with bash script

Hello. I'm new to bash script and I'm learning the basics by writing some scripts. Recently a friend of mine asked me if I could try to write a script to him to automate a couple of processes that uses JSON RPCs. I'll try to explain in few words the workflow just to contextualize the problem.... (48 Replies)
Discussion started by: psysc0rpi0n
48 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Parse property from json file

Hello All, Greetings.. I have a json file that I need to pase its URLs and other values. The match should start with "notifications" and output URLs and settings values. I tried with python or awk but hardly could get URLs only. Or whole URLs from full json file. Could not match... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 7adi
2 Replies
Parse::CPAN::Meta(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Parse::CPAN::Meta(3)

NAME
Parse::CPAN::Meta - Parse META.yml and META.json CPAN metadata files SYNOPSIS
############################################# # In your file --- name: My-Distribution version: 1.23 resources: homepage: "http://example.com/dist/My-Distribution" ############################################# # In your program use Parse::CPAN::Meta; my $distmeta = Parse::CPAN::Meta->load_file('META.yml'); # Reading properties my $name = $distmeta->{name}; my $version = $distmeta->{version}; my $homepage = $distmeta->{resources}{homepage}; DESCRIPTION
Parse::CPAN::Meta is a parser for META.json and META.yml files, using JSON::PP and/or CPAN::Meta::YAML. Parse::CPAN::Meta provides three methods: "load_file", "load_json_string", and "load_yaml_string". These will read and deserialize CPAN metafiles, and are described below in detail. Parse::CPAN::Meta provides a legacy API of only two functions, based on the YAML functions of the same name. Wherever possible, identical calling semantics are used. These may only be used with YAML sources. All error reporting is done with exceptions (die'ing). Note that META files are expected to be in UTF-8 encoding, only. When converted string data, it must first be decoded from UTF-8. METHODS
load_file my $metadata_structure = Parse::CPAN::Meta->load_file('META.json'); my $metadata_structure = Parse::CPAN::Meta->load_file('META.yml'); This method will read the named file and deserialize it to a data structure, determining whether it should be JSON or YAML based on the filename. On Perl 5.8.1 or later, the file will be read using the ":utf8" IO layer. load_yaml_string my $metadata_structure = Parse::CPAN::Meta->load_yaml_string($yaml_string); This method deserializes the given string of YAML and returns the first document in it. (CPAN metadata files should always have only one document.) If the source was UTF-8 encoded, the string must be decoded before calling "load_yaml_string". load_json_string my $metadata_structure = Parse::CPAN::Meta->load_json_string($json_string); This method deserializes the given string of JSON and the result. If the source was UTF-8 encoded, the string must be decoded before calling "load_json_string". yaml_backend my $backend = Parse::CPAN::Meta->yaml_backend; Returns the module name of the YAML serializer. See "ENVIRONMENT" for details. json_backend my $backend = Parse::CPAN::Meta->json_backend; Returns the module name of the JSON serializer. This will either be JSON::PP or JSON. Even if "PERL_JSON_BACKEND" is set, this will return JSON as further delegation is handled by the JSON module. See "ENVIRONMENT" for details. FUNCTIONS
For maintenance clarity, no functions are exported. These functions are available for backwards compatibility only and are best avoided in favor of "load_file". Load my @yaml = Parse::CPAN::Meta::Load( $string ); Parses a string containing a valid YAML stream into a list of Perl data structures. LoadFile my @yaml = Parse::CPAN::Meta::LoadFile( 'META.yml' ); Reads the YAML stream from a file instead of a string. ENVIRONMENT
PERL_JSON_BACKEND By default, JSON::PP will be used for deserializing JSON data. If the "PERL_JSON_BACKEND" environment variable exists, is true and is not "JSON::PP", then the JSON module (version 2.5 or greater) will be loaded and used to interpret "PERL_JSON_BACKEND". If JSON is not installed or is too old, an exception will be thrown. PERL_YAML_BACKEND By default, CPAN::Meta::YAML will be used for deserializing YAML data. If the "PERL_YAML_BACKEND" environment variable is defined, then it is intepreted as a module to use for deserialization. The given module must be installed, must load correctly and must implement the "Load()" function or an exception will be thrown. SUPPORT
Bugs should be reported via the CPAN bug tracker at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Parse-CPAN-Meta <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Parse-CPAN-Meta> AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2010 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.2 2012-04-05 Parse::CPAN::Meta(3)