Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Disable loading kernel modules Post 302913864 by achenle on Wednesday 20th of August 2014 10:14:07 AM
Old 08-20-2014
Rename them then reboot. Be sure to have a rescue disk handy...
This User Gave Thanks to achenle For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

How do I load kernel modules so BestCrypt will work

I'm using SuSE 9.2 Pro and trying to use a program call BestCrypt. I get it installed and type bctool and it says "Kernel modules not loaded". If you need to know anymore about it you can find it at http://www.jetico.com/linux/bcrypt-help/index.htm linux:/home/chris/Desktop/Xtheater-0.9.2 #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: CTroxtell21
6 Replies

2. HP-UX

Information about kernel modules

Hi all, what do kernel modules libaudit, klog and strlog do? Specifically I want to determine if it was possible for us to determine if kernel level auditing is enabled at all? regards (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
0 Replies

3. Programming

HELP!!: CPU resource allocation between kernel modules and user mode process

Hi,all: I run my program which consists of one kernel module and one user mode process on a dual core server. The problem here is the kernel module consumes 100% of one core while the user mode process only consumes 10% of the other core, is there any solution that I can assign some computing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neyshule
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel Modules Not geting built

I installed in VM the Mandriva Linux with 2.6.27 kernel. But presently when I fire make the modules .ko does not get built. I get the following output on firing command in the kernel module folder. $ make Building first_driver.c ... make: Entering directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

5. Programming

Debugging Linux Kernel Modules

I am aware of debugging linux applications using gdb and ddd. Now I have written a simple kernel module having init_module, exit _module and some functions for tasklets and workqueues. I want to debug these kernel modules like I used to debug applications setting breakpoints etc. How can I debug... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Linux: passing parameters to kernel modules

Hi, I need to set qlogic qla2xxx parameters in /etc/modprobe.conf (Oracle Linux Server release 5.7, almost equal to RedHat 5.7) two questions: how can I pass this parameters to the module while it is loaded (fibre channel luns are in use), if possible at all and how can I check the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux kernel modules makefiles doubts

This query is regarding the makefiles of linux kernel modules. I saw at some sites on net it is suggesting to include the following path: KERNEL_SOURCE := /usr/src/linux... while at some places it is askibg to include /lib/modules path: KERNEL_SOURCE := /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. Hardware

Linux Kernel Modules

Hey everyone. I have a question, doing an lsmod gives me a list of all the loaded modules for my system. But how did they know to load? my /etc/modules files is empty, so how did these modules know to load themselves on boot time? If I were to take this hard drive to another computer with a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Missing Modules After Compiling Kernel

I'm a little embarrassed after all these years I've never really successfully compiled my own kernel. I used this guide to make the following files: linux-headers-5.1.9_5.1.9-1_amd64.deb linux-image-5.1.9_5.1.9-1_amd64.deb linux-libc-dev_5.1.9-1_amd64.deb When I first booted into this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
4 Replies
reboot(2)							System Calls Manual							 reboot(2)

Name
       reboot - reboot system or halt processor

Syntax
       #include <sys/reboot.h>

reboot(howto)
       int howto;

Arguments
       howto   The howto argument is a mask of options passed to the bootstrap program.

The bits of howto are:

RB_HALT
		      the processor is simply halted; no reboot takes place.  RB_HALT should be used with caution.

RB_ASKNAME
		      Interpreted  by  the bootstrap program itself, causing it to inquire as to what file should be booted.  Normally, the system
		      is booted from the file "xx(0,0)vmunix" without asking.

RB_SINGLE
		      Normally, the reboot procedure involves an automatic disk consistency check and then multi-user operations.  RB_SINGLE  pre-
		      vents  the consistency check, rather simply booting the system with a single-user shell on the console.  RB_SINGLE is inter-
		      preted by the init(8) program in the newly booted system.  This switch is not available from the system call interface.

Only the superuser may a machine.

Description
       The system call reboots the system, and is invoked automatically in the event of unrecoverable system failures.	The system call  interface
       permits	only  RB_HALT or RB_AUTOBOOT to be passed to the reboot program; the other flags are used in scripts stored on the console storage
       media or used in manual bootstrap procedures.  When none of these options (for example, RB_AUTOBOOT) is given, the system is rebooted  from
       file in the root file system of unit 0 of a disk chosen in a processor-specific way.  Normally, an automatic consistency check of the disks
       is then performed.

Return Values
       If successful, this call never returns.	Otherwise, a -1 is returned, and an error is stored in the global variable errno.

Diagnostics
       The call fails under the following condition:

[EPERM]	      The caller is not the superuser.

See Also
       crash(8v), halt(8), init(8), reboot(8)

reboot(2)